It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

smillie7803 HB User
Tingling around menstrual periods

Hi. For over a year now off and on I hve been suffering from tingling in my fingers, toes, head, temples and recently my face including my eyes right before my mentrual cycle. With it recently spreading to my face I have become more frightened about this. I have also had episodes during this time of my heart racing up to 189bpm (I know because Iwas in the ER during one occurrance). My neck also hurts, my tongue twitches slightly, and I am also a little dizzy during these times. My doctor tried to dismiss it as anxiety (and I guess maybe it could be a little) but I feel there is way more to it. I have had cat scans, blood work and EKG's all normal. Is there anyone out there who is feeling or has felt this way during their cycle and has a clue to what could be going on? Thanks a bunch!

Old 12-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
(male)

jverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB User
Re: Tingling around menstrual periods

Discuss this with your gynecologist if you haven't already done so. If this doesn't give you the answers you're looking for, consider seeking the advice of an endocrinologist. I'm sure you realize that significant hormonal changes occur before, during, and after your period, and an endocrinologist is probably best educated in these changes and their effects on the body. Best of luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB Userlala52 HB User

Smillie:
Hi. I just read your post and was wondering if you have gotten any answers yet. Also, is it only after your period? My situation is slightly different. I started getting tingling on the top of my head in March 2009. Recently i started getting it on my face, arms, legs, and feet. I also experience ear fullness and a balance problem and my head feels very heavy all the time. Also my neck hurts. There is a lot more to my story, but i can't get into it now. I have lots of other symptoms also, but no answers. My whole syndrome has been going on for over 5 yrs. I now am also in menopause which started almost a year ago. But my tingling is every single day off and on. I feel sick all the time. I have been to 3 neurologists already. When it started i had an MRI that showed normal. I just had another MRI that showed some white matter on the brain. The dr does not have any answers. He did all kinds of other tests and everything was normal. Oh, i also have some jaw pain. Sorry if i am talking in circles. There is just so much info. This is just the very short of the long. How are you doing now? LaLa

Old 01-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
(female)

smillie7803 HB User

Hi lala,
No I have not gotten any answers yet I have been to a neurologist around thanksiving time but my referral has not returned yet for an MRI!! I was in Pennsylvania for awhile for the holidays (I live in California) so I didn't have time to push the issue. The neurologist told me that it sounds like MS. Did you hear this at all during your search for answers? While reading your post I felt like I was reading about myself. I also have tingling on top of my head and jaw pain. I also have some pain behind my eyes and around my cheeks. I did some research and stumbled upon TMJ disorder and it did fit all of my symptoms. I DO clench my jaw alot, especially when I sleep. I have neck pain as well and while doing research I read that it can spread to the neck and I also read that it can flare up during the menstrual cycle. Could this be the case with you? I had a minor flare up a week ago 2 days after my period but it was no where near as bad as what I wrote about and only lasted for aout a half hour. I don't know if its anxiety or what but I am driving myself crazy and I would like an answer!

Old 01-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smillie:
Do you feel off balance also? My symptoms started over 5 years ago. I was perfectly normal, then i got some kind of a virus or bacterial infection (not sure), that i caught from a friend who was sick. Just the usual type of thing. Coughing, blowing the nose, maybe slightly swollen glands, (don't remember all the details) but i was put on an antibiotic and after the virus went away, i was never the same person again. I had chronic fatigue, i could barely get out of bed. I had no energy. I could hardly stand up. Then things got a little better (still bad though) and then i started to get stomach problems. i had chronic gas that never let up. i went to two gastro drs. I had some testing and nothing was wrong. They said it was IBS. I ended up at a natural food store and one of the workers there said she feel likes i might have candida of the intestines. I checked that out and thought it sounded like me. I ended up at a natural dr who gave me supplements and i was on the candida diet (no carbs) = no life. I did feel better though for a short time. Then i went back to some carbs and never was the same again. I have been still been sick ever since. Then a long time after that is when the tingling started. I still wonder if all this is still candida (yeast overgrowth). i am so confused. I thought maybe TMJ but i asked around and nobody acknowedged that TMJ can cause tingling. I thought maybe i had fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue sydrome or lyme disease. I have no idea. I am still searching and have no quality of life. What other symptoms do you have? my neurologists ruled out MS. He ruled out everything. I am living in fear everyday not knowing what is wrong. I also have some bone pain. What about you? I am falling asleep. I have to end now. I was out for my son's 21st. birthday. It is much later then i usually go to sleep. Talk soon. Take care. LaLa

Old 01-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
(male)

jverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB Userjverive HB User

Lala,

Have you had your vitamin D levels checked? A lot of doctors are finding that the population in general tends to be deficient in vitamin D (and the B-complex of vitamins as well. My rheumatologist told me that doctors are being urged to check vitamin D levels in all patients with unexplained musculoskeletal pain or weakness. She tested me and found me to be severely deficient, and in just days after beginning the usual therapy (50,000 I.U. once a week) my pain and stiffness levels dropped drastically. My energy level shot up too, so it's definitely worth having checked out.

I also wanted to point out that tests to rule out conditions like MS, lupus, Lyme Disease, etc. are not foolproof. Generally speaking, most of these tests need to be repeated at least once - typically after three to six months - in order to have any confidence that a given disorder has in fact been ruled out. This is particularly true of Lyme Disease and other infectious diseases or other conditions that affect the body's immune system. People can have rheumatoid arthritis (for example) and not have the typical "markers" found in the blood or spinal fluid. IBS and fibromyalgia are often "working diagnoses" in that they are arrived at by excluding other conditions; doctors simply don't yet understand more than a modest fraction of what there is to be known about the human body. Therefore, if you have a condition that has the doctors scratching their heads, you should do all you can to eat healthy foods, exercise, and reduce your exposure to sick people.

Finally, if certain carbs do affect you adversely, you may have celiac disease or other metabolic condition (including what is called "metabolic syndrome" - look it up on the Internet; I can't do it justice by my own description.) Try avoiding certain foods one at a time, and you might be able to narrow it down.

Good luck, and keep us updated on your condition, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala52 View Post
Smillie:
Do you feel off balance also? My symptoms started over 5 years ago. I was perfectly normal, then i got some kind of a virus or bacterial infection (not sure), that i caught from a friend who was sick. Just the usual type of thing. Coughing, blowing the nose, maybe slightly swollen glands, (don't remember all the details) but i was put on an antibiotic and after the virus went away, i was never the same person again. I had chronic fatigue, i could barely get out of bed. I had no energy. I could hardly stand up. Then things got a little better (still bad though) and then i started to get stomach problems. i had chronic gas that never let up. i went to two gastro drs. I had some testing and nothing was wrong. They said it was IBS. I ended up at a natural food store and one of the workers there said she feel likes i might have candida of the intestines. I checked that out and thought it sounded like me. I ended up at a natural dr who gave me supplements and i was on the candida diet (no carbs) = no life. I did feel better though for a short time. Then i went back to some carbs and never was the same again. I have been still been sick ever since. Then a long time after that is when the tingling started. I still wonder if all this is still candida (yeast overgrowth). i am so confused. I thought maybe TMJ but i asked around and nobody acknowedged that TMJ can cause tingling. I thought maybe i had fibromyalgia or Chronic Fatigue sydrome or lyme disease. I have no idea. I am still searching and have no quality of life. What other symptoms do you have? my neurologists ruled out MS. He ruled out everything. I am living in fear everyday not knowing what is wrong. I also have some bone pain. What about you? I am falling asleep. I have to end now. I was out for my son's 21st. birthday. It is much later then i usually go to sleep. Talk soon. Take care. LaLa

Old 01-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #7
(female)

smillie7803 HB User

Hi Lala,
I did have balance problems at 1st when this all began (June of 2009) it was so bad that I'd fall here and there. I thought I was having a stroke because my heart began to race often too. But I haven't had balance problems in the last year. I also thought I could have lyme disease, especially since I'm from the country in Pennslvania. I still have not been tested for that. My symptoms seem to come and go , the tingling and my bone in my shoulder and even my upper chest cracks sometimes! My doctor suggested fibromyalgia as well but never really followed up on it. I have to look up candida even though I am somewhat familiar with it because I work with children diagnosed with autism and it is very common with my clients. I DO have the stomach problems as well and have had 2wks of persistent heartburn that was absolutely terrible. Then that turned into IBS...so they say. At this point I don't know who or where else to turn to I'm soooo confused.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jverive:
Thank you for your reply. I am going to have my vit d checked the next time i get blood. Also i think i will ask to get checked for magnesium and potassium also. My vit b12 was within range. I do have hashimotos and i am hypothyroid. I take synthroid. I am so sick right now. My entire body is tingling. Head, arms, face, legs, feet. I am worried sick. I don't know what is wrong with me. I have stomach issues and balance problems and aches and pains. I am a mess. I do watch my carbs. I mentioned before. I am waiting to get the lyme results this week. I just can't see that i got lyme, but you never know. T'his is not the first lyme test either. I got tested many times. Also i got tested for lupus several times and ms. So far everything is normal. I feel like i am having a nervous breakdown from this. I am very jittery that comes and goes also my appetite has changed. I can't eat very much yet my stomach feels empty. I am not a person anymore. I don't know what to do. I am thinking about going to the cleveland clinic. Do you know about that place. It is like the mayo clinic from what i hear. Thanks for your advice and support. You are very fortunate that your situation was resolved. Do you have other issues that bring you on the healthboards? Because i feel that if i felt good i would not be searching the boards. talk soon. LaLa

Old 01-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smillie:
I do understand your confusion. I am so confused myself. There are so many symptoms and so many different causes of all these symptoms that we don't know what to follow up with first. In your case it does not sound like you are going to that many drs though. Is that the case? As far as the persistent heartburn, i can relate to that too. I just had an endoscopy because of heartburn. I have acid reflux. It is strange because for weeks i will have acid reflux and heartburn and burping and now for the past week or so i am better. What was your balance problems all about? Did they just go away on there on? How are you doing now? Autism and candida are connected. i do know about that. i can only suggest to you to go to the dr and see if you can get a diagnosis. It is very frustrating. I am very ill and have not diagnosis. I am very depressed and feel like i am having a nervous breakdown over it. Anyway, let me no how you are doing. Talk soon. LaLa

Old 01-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
(male)

Lala,

Hashimoto's hypothyroidism can be a real difficult condition to control, as it seems that so many things can throw the body out of whack. I presume your Synthroid dosage has been consistent for some time now, but if that's not true let me know.

Age, diet, activity level, and stress can all affect your condition, and your body is extremely sensitive to hormone imbalances. Your immune system regulation is probably pretty poor as well, so it is important for you to eat well, exercise as often as you feel up to it, and limit your exposure to people with communicable diseases. It's also very important that you maintain adequate hydration, so you should be drinking plenty of water throughout the day (though you don't have to go overboard either, because it's easy to retain too much fluid with Hashimoto's.) How is your weight control (if you don't mind me asking?) Are you at risk for type 2 diabetes? Glucose/insulin levels can be hard to control with any hypothyroid condition, so I'm just curious if that is also part of the reason you feel so lousy.

I'm a chronic pain sufferer with constant head pain due to a bad nerve in the back of my head near the scalp, though things have improved considerably in the past couple of years (considering how miserable I was at one point, that's really saying something.) My nerve pain started over 30 years ago while I was in high school, and I've seen over 50 doctors and have taken even more medications, along with numerous other therapies. I've learned a lot about neurology out of sheer necessity, when doctors were giving me conflicting information, and I decided I needed to be a contributing member of my treatment team. It wasn't always easy, and I butted heads with more than a few doctors who were more interested in me as a customer than as an involved patient. Nonetheless, becoming involved and learning to be my own advocate has done more for my recovery than I could ever have imagined. I try to help people here (and on other websites) by letting them know what options they may have and by helping them understand what their doctors don't seem to be communicating properly.

I hope you find out what is causing you to feel so lousy. As for the Cleveland Clinic, I've heard a lot of good things about them. I was also very active o one of their health-related blogs similar to this one, but haven't been there in a while ever since the changes they made to the site made it too much trouble for me to navigate. I should go back and see if things have improved. Best of luck! - Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lala52 View Post
Jverive:
Thank you for your reply. I am going to have my vit d checked the next time i get blood. Also i think i will ask to get checked for magnesium and potassium also. My vit b12 was within range. I do have hashimotos and i am hypothyroid. I take synthroid. I am so sick right now. My entire body is tingling. Head, arms, face, legs, feet. I am worried sick. I don't know what is wrong with me. I have stomach issues and balance problems and aches and pains. I am a mess. I do watch my carbs. I mentioned before. I am waiting to get the lyme results this week. I just can't see that i got lyme, but you never know. T'his is not the first lyme test either. I got tested many times. Also i got tested for lupus several times and ms. So far everything is normal. I feel like i am having a nervous breakdown from this. I am very jittery that comes and goes also my appetite has changed. I can't eat very much yet my stomach feels empty. I am not a person anymore. I don't know what to do. I am thinking about going to the cleveland clinic. Do you know about that place. It is like the mayo clinic from what i hear. Thanks for your advice and support. You are very fortunate that your situation was resolved. Do you have other issues that bring you on the healthboards? Because i feel that if i felt good i would not be searching the boards. talk soon. LaLa

Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
(female)

Nelma HB User

I have tingling, pins and needles in my legs and toes when my periods start and for about 2-5 days from then on. My legs also feel week and I can hardly stand on them those days.
I have Addison's and am also on Thyroid medication.

I have done a saliva test and it showed that those days I had had tingling -my estrogen level was very high, way over the line. And usually those days estrogen should go down when periods start, but mine went up. Strange?

I don't know if there is a connection between estrogen level and tingling.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
(male)

Tingling (paresthesia) is more common with low estrogen levels (because of collagen-related issues and thinning of tissues, but it can also occur with elevated estrogen levels due to the interelation between estrogen, pyridoxine (Vitamin B6,) and neurotransmitter synthesis. Your endocrinologist should be able to tell you to what degree your Addison's Disease and abnormal thyroid function affect the balance among estrogen, pyridoxine, and related neurotransmitters. If the tingling is difficult to deal with, you might obtain relief through several different neuropathy-reducing medications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelma View Post
I have tingling, pins and needles in my legs and toes when my periods start and for about 2-5 days from then on. My legs also feel week and I can hardly stand on them those days.
I have Addison's and am also on Thyroid medication.

I have done a saliva test and it showed that those days I had had tingling -my estrogen level was very high, way over the line. And usually those days estrogen should go down when periods start, but mine went up. Strange?

I don't know if there is a connection between estrogen level and tingling.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:20 AM   #13
(female)

Nelma HB User

jverive

This is the information I've been looking for. THANK YOU. I have asked many doctors about this tingling problem, but they haven't been able to answer. My gynekologist didn't see there any problem to have high estrogen level during periods. Shouldn't it normally be low at that point? Mine rises then. And I felt restlessness and anyway couln't stand on my feet because of the pins and needles -feeling. This anyway seems to come only during these certain days.

Other thing that I don't understand. I am deficient in Vitamin D, but I can't eat it as I also get pins and needles of that! Every time I start taking Vitamin D supplement, tingling comes to my legs and I have to stop it.

Should I take B6 vitamine to prevent this? One thing is strange, they once took B6 blood test and I had it abnormally high, many times higher than is allowed. I hadn't been taking any supplement.What are neuropathy reducing medications?

I have had tests that indicate Addison's (acth stim test)and I am eating HC + Florinef, but I have to wait maybe months to see endocrinologist as I live in a small town and we don't have one here at the moment.

And I have tried to ask help from several doctors, but they don't have a clue what this could be.

It showed up in my blood work that I don't have any DHEA and testosterone at all. I ordered these tests myself. Doctors couldn't say anything about these either.

Last edited by Nelma; 01-31-2011 at 06:53 AM.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #14
(male)

Talking Re: Tingling around menstrual periods

You're quite welcome. There is a lot of medical information on the Internet, and I like to refer to the National Institutes of Health website for information that's relatively easy to understand. The search tool on their website is very easy to use, and rarely gives irrelevant or outdated information. Google "NIH" and you'll have no trouble finding it.

Your symptoms and diagnoses all point to an auto-immune system disorder that affects your endocrine system. Your hormones are obviously out of balance, and this imbalance can affect numerous other systems in the body. Appetite, weight gain/loss, temperature regulation, mental acuity, fertility, are all governed by hormones. I presume you are under the care of an endocrinologist and/or internal medicine specialist, in addition to your gynecologist, but if I'm wrong let me know. Your Addison's Disease and thyroid problems mean you are also at risk for hyperparathyroidism, which is something your doctors can monitor easily through periodic blood tests.

You might benefit from low dose testosterone treatment, and if you are overweight, reducing your body fat will help reduce your high estrogen levels. Exercise can also help restore some balance to your hormones, but it's likely you'll be on some form of hormone treatment for the rest of your life.

If your B6 levels are already high, increasing them by taking supplements is not likely to help. Your high levels combined with symptoms of low B6 levels suggest that your body is not efficiently utilizing what you already have. This is not unusual for someone with an underlying hormone disorder.

As far as neuropathy meds are concerned, just about any of the serotonergic/dopaminergic meds used for restless leg syndrome, depression, and epilepsy might work. Vailum, Tegretol, Cymbalta, Lyrica, Klonopin, and numerous other drugs are available. Even GABA-modulating drugs like Neurontin (gabapentin) have been used, and Neurontin tends to be well-tolerated even at high dosages. Clonidine may also be effective at minimizing your tingling, and because of its parasympathetic system agonists action, it can help reduce high blood pressure common in people with signifcant hormone imbalances.

That's about the extent of my knowledge in this area. I urge you to see your endocrinologist as soon as is convenient for you, and lay out all of your symptoms, hormone levels, vitamin levels, and vitamin D sensitivity. I believe there is a common cause for the vast majority of your problems, and I suspect the Addison's disease or a related auto-immune disorder to be the culprit. In the meanwhile, try to exercise and get some natural sunlight each day. The health benefits even for otherwise healthy people are worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelma View Post
jverive

This is the information I've been looking for. THANK YOU. I have asked many doctors about this tingling problem, but they haven't been able to answer. My gynekologist didn't see there any problem to have high estrogen level during periods. Shouldn't it normally be low at that point? Mine rises then. And I felt restlessness and anyway couln't stand on my feet because of the pins and needles -feeling. This anyway seems to come only during these certain days.

Other thing that I don't understand. I am deficient in Vitamin D, but I can't eat it as I also get pins and needles of that! Every time I start taking Vitamin D supplement, tingling comes to my legs and I have to stop it.

Should I take B6 vitamine to prevent this? One thing is strange, they once took B6 blood test and I had it abnormally high, many times higher than is allowed. I hadn't been taking any supplement.What are neuropathy reducing medications?

I have had tests that indicate Addison's (acth stim test)and I am eating HC + Florinef, but I have to wait maybe months to see endocrinologist as I live in a small town and we don't have one here at the moment.

And I have tried to ask help from several doctors, but they don't have a clue what this could be.

It showed up in my blood work that I don't have any DHEA and testosterone at all. I ordered these tests myself. Doctors couldn't say anything about these either.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nelma and Jeff:

I have had tingling on the top of my head for almost two years now. Lately the tingling started to go into my face and arms and feet off and on. I have hashimotos and i also am in menopause. I also have been sick with some unknown virus or infection for the past 5 yrs. I don't know if it is cfs/fibro/ lyme/ or something else. I can't seem to get diagnosed. Jeff, you and i have gone back and forth a few times. I also had an mri of the brain and they found some white dots on the brain. The neuologist is not sure what it exactly is or if it is even causing the tingling. He has me on ecotrin everyday because the report on the mri also showed some ischemia (which are little strokes). It could be MS. I have taken lots of different tests already and everything was negative I am going for another mri tomorrow again. He decided to repeat it again. The last one was three months ago. I am scared to death. I can write a book on what has been going on for the past 5 yrs but i don't have time now. The bottom line is that at the moment i don't know if my tingling is thyroid related, hormone related, or something neurological. I also have a balance problem which i think has something to do with my ears. I am going to an ENT on Friday. I get weird sensations in them and a few weeks ago i had so much fluid in my left ear that i lost my hearing. It went away in a few days but it was horrible. I have a feeling in my nose also, almost like a chronic cold but not quite. This list goes on and on. I have no answers and i am very sick. I am just venting now as i do everyday. I wish a dr could just diagnose me with something so i can get the proper care and get better. Nelma, i am sorry i don't have answers for you. I wish i did. But one thing i know for sure is that the drs. don't know anything either. Your gyno, i am sure, will know nothing about tingling and estrogen. The endo will most likely not acknowledge it either. The only person i suggest you see if you can where you live is to go to a natural dr who treats hormonal issues. Here in the states they do. I would not jump to using those meds either that jverive mentioned (sorry J). I feel they are nightmare drugs. That is just my opinion. But if you do decide to try any of them let me know how you do. My neurologist suggested them also, but i don't want all the side effects. I have enough problems. Anyway, let me know Nelma how you are doing or if you get any answers. Take care. laLa

Closed Thread