It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2003, 07:31 AM   #1

jmarlar HB User
Post Why see a neurologist??

I've noticed some on this board and other are having their child seen by a neurologist. This has also been suggested to me since DS (11yo) is having some OCD and vocal tics. WHat would a neurologist do? We see a child psychiatrist and he has 1 hour of counseling at our church a week. I just wonder would a visit to a neuro doc be worth it? What tests would they do if any?......thanks~Jamie

Old 04-08-2003, 09:54 PM   #2
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Your post isn't clear as to why they felt a neurologist should be consulted. I know this is what you asking everyone here but we can't answer that since we have no clue what your doctor is looking for by suggesting a neurologist be seen. I would call the clinic and talk to the doc and ask him why he feels a neurology consult is needed and just what this would accomplish. It is not our place to try to figure out what your doctor is thinking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2003, 02:02 PM   #3

CMMG HB User
JMARLAR-- I took my son to see a neurologist after his pediatrician noticed his tics. The pediatrician wanted to rule out tourette's disorder. As it turns out it was not ruled out but diagnosed. Since your son is experiencing tics, it would probably be a good idea since tics are the most common symptom of tourettes. There are other symptoms as well and you may want to look up the disorder on the internet to get more info. The diagnosis took my husband and myself by surprise but forwarned is forarmed and having this info has helped with med prescribing as well as intervention in school. Hope this helps. Post again if you would like any other info. My son has been officially diagnosed with tourettes disorder with co-morbid adhd and also aspergers. If you look up any of these disorders on the web you will see that a lot of the symptoms overlap.

Old 04-12-2003, 05:01 PM   #4

rainonwindow HB User
It is possible for a child to look inattentive and be diagnosed with ADD when in fact the child is suffering from partial or absense seizures. Perhaps that is why some children are being referred to neurologists.

I have been diagnosed with ADHD as well as my daughter. My son has ADD. My siblings have one or the other as well.

It is easy for me to recognize the symptoms of ADHD in my childhood but it is only in the last few years that I discoved that I also have temporal lobe epilepsy and these symptoms existed in childhood also. My seizures in childhood were experiential in nature and didn't involve any motor activity.

Closed Thread