It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
(male)

westi128 HB User
Unilateral weakness, running out of patience.

Hello,
Two years ago I noticed as slight weakness and general lack of coordination in my right hand and right leg. After a few weeks I scheduled an MRI which came up negative for stroke, MS, etc. The symptoms went away completely after two months and remained dormant until November of this past year.

The November "episode" came on suddenly with a numbness to the entire right hand side of my body. My right hand became weak and involuntarily bent towards my wrist. A co-worker took me to the hospital. I could hold a pen with extreme concentration, writing was slow and deliberate. Hospital staff gave me the once over "shrink your forehead, grab my fingers, smile big, etc." and sent me on my way. The following morning the entire right hand side of my body was weak and uncoordinated. My right eye and right side of my face would twitch whenever in motion. My right shoulder and chest were noticeably lower than the left. I had a prominent change in vision and would get nauseous when transitioning from near to far objects. Driving was almost impossible without closing one eye. I had extreme difficulty stringing together events from memory or having a conversation with multiple people. My balance was off and I was unable to stand with my eyes closed.

Symptoms have improved since November, but remained constant. My right elbow and have become irritated by the instability. Symptoms have progressed to include my abdominal and lower back (limited to the right side). They are heavily exacerbated by caffeine. Alcohol seems to help, but the next morning is unbearable with a profound loss of coordination on the right side. Dehydration from activity, medication, alcohol, or illness further exacerbates the problem. On a good day I only have an electrical sensation throughout the right hand side of my body. On a bad day I struggle to pick up my briefcase, make a phone call.

I have had a CT and an MRI along with full blood work. Nothing has shown up. My neurologist has suggested that this may be a sleeping disorder and has prescribed muscle relaxers to aide in REM sleep. When notified that this has had no positive result my medication was switched to no avail.

My work is suffering as are my personal relationships. I am working towards an appointment with the Cleveland Clinic as my local physicians do not seem to be taking this seriously. If anyone has experienced something similar, I would love to hear from you. Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread