It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #1
(male)

onyR HB User
Crushed my index finger; now numb

I pretended to be my 8-year old little girl and crushed my finger in my car door last Tuesday (9 days ago). Yes!

At first after I got the door open and inside my office staff lounge, the pain went to being numb then back to pain. Did this back and forth for a while. I had a centimeter long cut along the left side of my index finger (right hand). Bleed once I got it inside and bleed for a while. I wrapped it with ice and went to the doctor. He put a band-aid on it (yes, that was it), so I went back to work. By this time it was not HORRIBLE but starting to throb.

As time went on, it got really bad (throbbing). Thankfully, the office I work in is a dental clinic that my Dad and brother-in-law are the dentists. After not being able to stand it anymore, told my bro-in-law to just shoot me up!!! So he did. He totally numbed the tip of my finger (where I crushed it) with Mardicane then drilled a small hole in my finger nail to release the blood clot forming causing the throbbing. WORKED! They x-ray'ed it and shockingly, no break. Slept like a baby that night, despite having a splint on my finger.

The next day it wears off but the tip of my finger is a somewhat still numb. Come to find out, 9 days later, it's still that way.

After my brother-in-law called a MD friend, said that giving the shot was fine, had nothing to do with the numbness now and it should get better. Now after reading information online and talking to my dad... we are positive I have nerve damage from either the crush or the cut.

How long does this type of injury last? I still have a band-aid on it (no not the same one) to protect it from touching anything because I can't stand it and still hurts a little.

Thanks for any help/info!

The following user gives a hug of support to onyR:
sjb (04-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Crushed my index finger; now numb

Nerves damage easily and heal slowly. Just the swelling from crushing it probably caused the numbness and once the swelling goes down, the feeling should slowly return. It can take weeks and even months.

Hang in there....it should heal up just fine but you have to give it time. Nerves are the slowest healing type of cells in the body. Just ask anyone who has broken their neck and battled paralysis(like me).

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
onyR (04-15-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
(male)

onyR HB User

Oh wow jennybyc, I'm so sorry to hear that

Thank you for your post.... seems like what I read is accurate then, they grow slowly. So I'll just try and get used to it. Seems like nothing compared to what you and thousands of others have to deal with.

I try to think of that when my herniated disc is bothering me, or now... my finger. A lot of people have it much harder.

Again thanks and God Bless!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi well I can't speak for everyone but sometimes it does recover after a very long time. One person hit the finger with a hammer real hard while helping with a building. There was numbness, strongly for a few months gradually going away over the period of a few years. There is no residual of that one thankfully.

Closed Thread