It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
(female)

carriep80 HB User
Burning left sided chest pain/stomach pain

Hi i am a 30 year old woman with an unsolved nerve condition. I wanted to post on here and tell my story because, i feel alone with this pain and hoped someone else is experiencing this. This has been going on for 4 years now and no doctor can seem to diagnose it. It is a burning, throbbing, shooting pain on the left side of my chest that at its highest strength it goes to my shoulder and neck. I also am experiencing severe stomach pain and nausea. Both pains are extremes and come in waves when my stomach pain is extreme my chest pain isn't as bad and when my chest pain is bad my stomach pain doesn't bother me as much. I have had countless tests done to try and get to the bottom of this including MRI's of my spine and chest, x rays, endoscopy's, Bone scans, acupuncture, therapy with a TENS unit, corstisone shots, among countless medications. One thing that i cannot take are any inflammatory medicines or pain meds such as vicodin, and percocet because of my sensitive stomach. One potential diagnosis that has been given is costochondritis although this has no been proven yet. One thing that has been proven is that it is some type of neuropathy between my stomach and chest. I have been diagnosed with autonomic disorder and GERD but it hasn't been necessarily linked to this. Please if anyone is experiencing these symptoms or something like it please respond to my post. I would love to talk to or get advice from someone who is dealing with the type of chronic pain i am experiencing because i feel so alone in with this condition. Thank You and i hope to hear your comments.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: carriep80
Carolina Lady (06-07-2011), feels80 (05-02-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carriep80 For This Useful Post:
Carolina Lady (06-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
(male)

feels80 HB User
Re: Burning left sided chest pain/stomach pain

Alone you are definatly not.

Last edited by feels80; 05-02-2011 at 01:09 PM.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #3
(female)

carriep80 HB User

Thank you so much for your response, are you dealing with the same issues as me? Do you have similar pains as me? Its nice to have someone say that. I'm looking foward to hearing back from you.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
(female)

Carolina Lady HB User

I have the same symptoms! My chest and left arm felt like I was standing over the stove. It was a flaming sensation and it had me running to the ER every other month. Because of my cardiac history, a cardiac work-up was all they seemed to be interested in. It would come in waves and last 15min to an hour or more and would seemed to make me short of breath. I suffered 3 years before I was diagnosed with a neuropathy and prescribed Gabapentin and for 6 months it has worked well. I had some break thru pain last week and they modified my dosage and I seem to be back on track. I had a cardiac cath in 08 and I think the nerve injury occured then. I did not have this problem until I had that procedure. The burning sometimes rises from the abdomen and has gone from my chest to my knees. I am trying to get a neuro consult to get a better handle on this. Sometimes a cold pack on my chest helps. You have in there.

The following user gives a hug of support to Carolina Lady:
carriep80 (07-01-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Carolina Lady For This Useful Post:
carriep80 (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
(female)

carriep80 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply, my pain has been getting worse since the initial post. It makes me feel better to know that someone can relate, sometimes i feel completely alone in this. The only thing the doctors have been able to determine is that it is neoropathic pain. I have received my first intercostal nerve block injection and my second one is going to be soon. I am also on Gabapentin and have been off and on for years now but my neurologist has recently taken my dosage up to 200mg. The ER always concentrated on cardiac related problems as well even though i told them i went through all the tests to make sure my heart was ok. I hope that you have some relief from your pain as well maybe you can ask about nerve block injections. Thanks again for your reply it makes me feel better maybe we can stay in touch.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
(female)

Carolina Lady HB User
Wink Re: Burning left sided chest pain/stomach pain

My Dr. has increased my Gabapentin also. I was on 300mg tid and now 1 dose has been doubled. The double puts me in a stupor about 2 hours after when it kicks in. I have noticed that if I can catch the start of the flame early, a cold pack on my lower abdomen decreases it a lot. It makes it more tolerable. I believe that is where the nerve is that was injured by the cardiac cath I had. Of course the Docs won't admit that. I have an appointment with a Neurologist next week. Perhaps he will be able to provide some help. I wish you the best and you are right, it is nice to know you are not alone in this.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
(male)

SuedeTabby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriep80 View Post
Hi i am a 30 year old woman with an unsolved nerve condition. I wanted to post on here and tell my story because, i feel alone with this pain and hoped someone else is experiencing this. This has been going on for 4 years now and no doctor can seem to diagnose it. It is a burning, throbbing, shooting pain on the left side of my chest that at its highest strength it goes to my shoulder and neck. I also am experiencing severe stomach pain and nausea. Both pains are extremes and come in waves when my stomach pain is extreme my chest pain isn't as bad and when my chest pain is bad my stomach pain doesn't bother me as much. I have had countless tests done to try and get to the bottom of this including MRI's of my spine and chest, x rays, endoscopy's, Bone scans, acupuncture, therapy with a TENS unit, corstisone shots, among countless medications. One thing that i cannot take are any inflammatory medicines or pain meds such as vicodin, and percocet because of my sensitive stomach. One potential diagnosis that has been given is costochondritis although this has no been proven yet. One thing that has been proven is that it is some type of neuropathy between my stomach and chest. I have been diagnosed with autonomic disorder and GERD but it hasn't been necessarily linked to this. Please if anyone is experiencing these symptoms or something like it please respond to my post. I would love to talk to or get advice from someone who is dealing with the type of chronic pain i am experiencing because i feel so alone in with this condition. Thank You and i hope to hear your comments.

I have not been diagnosed properly, I've been in emerge 12 times in the past 2 months They have done so many blood tests I'm starting to looking like an IV drug user, Xrays, CAT scans, MRI's etc....

They started telling me it was my anemia, so I got a blood transfusion....didn't help. Then my GP tried telling me it was anxiety....not the case either. They thought I had emphysma....wrong again, maybe a blockage in my right ventricle, also not it.

So I have chest pain and pressure over my left breast that radiates into my shoulder, neck and down my left arm, it's causing shortness of breath (extremely hard to breath at times), at times I have numbness and tingling in my arm with absolutely no mobility, my hand is very weak and I couldn't grab or hold onto anything to save my life.... but they still have no clue what's going on. I live in a city where good health care is very hard to come by, it seems like we get medical school left overs

I'm hoping to get better care once my husband and I move back to BC, but until then I'm left with a very painful and scary list of symptoms that cannot or have not been diagnosed

Old 04-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #8
(female)

carriep80 HB User

I know how it feels to have these doctors lead you constantly into dead ends. I also know how it feels to feel alone In this that's why it's comforting for people in our type of situation to share our story so we don't feel alone. Dead end blood tests, scans, and doctor visits can be very frustrating and trust me I share your pain with this. I wish you all the best in trying to find answers as I'm desperately trying to find my own.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
(male)

dannyblues HB User

HI carriep80

Are you still on this thread. I would like to get touch base with you regarding the symptoms as I have similar symptoms too. Please reply to this thread if you see this message.

thanks
danny

Closed Thread