It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
(male)

Enowil HB User
What the heck just happened?

Frankly I'm not sure what category this question belongs in because I've never had it happen before. Here's what happened:

I was using a massaging vibrator, one of those little hand held things with the four little vibrating nodules on it. I was using this on the back of my neck because I have cervical arthritis. I was using the device on the back of my neck while watching TV. Suddenly the picture on the TV started wavering like a rippling wave in water. My initial thought was that something must be wrong with the picture, but I removed the massage vibrator and the rippling on the screen stopped. Whoa! Coincidence or what? I reapplied the vibrator to the back or my neck and pressed in with moderate pressure and the rippling started again on the screen. I immediately removed the device from my neck and the picture stopped swimming. Just to make sure I repeated the procedure. When I applied the device and pressed in a little the picture started swimming, and when I removed it, the picture immediately stopped swimming.

So what's going on here? Was the device making my eyes vibrate or was it stimulating my spinal cord in some detrimental manner that caused my vision to waver? It was extremely alarming and I am not inclined to repeat it again.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
(male)

balmy2 HB User
Re: What the heck just happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enowil View Post
Frankly I'm not sure what category this question belongs in because I've never had it happen before. Here's what happened:

I was using a massaging vibrator, one of those little hand held things with the four little vibrating nodules on it. I was using this on the back of my neck because I have cervical arthritis. I was using the device on the back of my neck while watching TV. Suddenly the picture on the TV started wavering like a rippling wave in water. My initial thought was that something must be wrong with the picture, but I removed the massage vibrator and the rippling on the screen stopped. Whoa! Coincidence or what? I reapplied the vibrator to the back or my neck and pressed in with moderate pressure and the rippling started again on the screen. I immediately removed the device from my neck and the picture stopped swimming. Just to make sure I repeated the procedure. When I applied the device and pressed in a little the picture started swimming, and when I removed it, the picture immediately stopped swimming.

So what's going on here? Was the device making my eyes vibrate or was it stimulating my spinal cord in some detrimental manner that caused my vision to waver? It was extremely alarming and I am not inclined to repeat it again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
(male)

balmy2 HB User
Lightbulb Re: What the heck just happened?

Relax you weren't illusonating it is the frequency of the vibrator device when you put pressure on the top you clashed with the tv frequency it electronics
and it has happened to me once, everything that exists resonates at its own frequency measured in hertz (hz) a person is around 20hz

Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
(male)

Enowil HB User
Re: What the heck just happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmy2 View Post
Relax you weren't illusonating it is the frequency of the vibrator device when you put pressure on the top you clashed with the tv frequency it electronics
and it has happened to me once, everything that exists resonates at its own frequency measured in hertz (hz) a person is around 20hz
Thank you! Makes perfect sense. I understand exactly what you are talking about, as I have a slight background in electronics and an advanced class amateur radio operator's license. My call sign must remain anonymous here as it is in an online data base and would identify me, but it is a two-by-two. Anyway, I'm embarrassed. I tend to get upset easily and jump to conclusions, but I knew that the television was the only thing that appeared distorted, as I repeated the process twice more after I worked up some courage with exactly the same results, and I noticed it was a sine wave type of distortion. It's a CRT television, and the device must have resonated with the horizontal or vertical scan frequency of the CRT's electron gun.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Enowil; 06-03-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Closed Thread