It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
(female)

Mom2Six HB User
Heart Attack-like Symptoms = Nerve Problems?

A little bit of background: I am a 30-year old woman who is 34w5d pregnant with my 6th child. I have had mild scoliosis & terrible GERD issues and am self-treating with Prilosec OTC, but have a lot of "breakthrough" reflux/chest pain. I do have frequent stabbing-like right-sided chest pain, which I chalk up to the GERD or my anemia. I have had anemia for many years, which is usually mild except for when I am pregnant, at which point my hemoglobin is usually between 6-8. My dad was told he had a "blood disorder common in Italians" when he was 17 and also has anemia symptoms. This leads me to believe that we have Beta Thalassemia Minor, but the hematologist does not feel it is worth testing for, since it would be the minor form anyway. She has told me to take iron and B12 supps, which I haven't yet.

So, on to the issue...

First, I have read that B12 deficiency can cause nerve damage, but 6-weeks ago the OB said my levels were OK and now the hematologist is saying the levels are low and to take 1 mg of B12 daily, along with 975 mg of ferrous sulfate. From my research, 6-weeks would not be long enough to cause nerve damage, so maybe the baby is pressing on something? Or maybe spine issues due to my scoliosis?

Anyway, for the past 3 days I have had jaw and upper right arm pain that radiates into my chest and down my back. It feels more like a burning or stabbing than a crushing pain. I have tried to google "jaw arm chest and back pain" and it all comes back heart-related. It is really freaking me out, BUT these episodes are short and I only had one the first day, two the second day that were 12 hours a part and then last night had about 5 short episodes (5-10 minutes) in a 3 hour period before I finally just fell asleep. I have had two 1-minute jaw stabbing episodes today (for the record, the jaw pain does feel just like a toothache, but it will move from my top right side to my bottom right side and also to my bottom left side, even my chin hurt last night.)

I wouldn't think heart problems would behave like that PLUS I also woke up yesterday with mild tingling/numbness in my left thumb/forearm that lasted all day and got worse when I reached for something. Then again this morning, I had tingling in my left toes when I stood up, as well as a stabbing pain in my left wrist before I got up. I have been having a lot of left arm pain before this, which all says to me neck/spine issues.

So...can neck/spine issues cause the jaw/arm/chest/back pain that I am experiencing? As anyone had similar symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
(female)

dallascowboyzfa HB User
Re: Heart Attack-like Symptoms = Nerve Problems?

When you saw your jaw hurts, does it ever radiate down your neck?

Reply Reply