It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
(female)

tess27 HB User
cervical myelopathy.

Hi, I wasn't really sure where to post this since there doesn't seem to be a spinal injuries board. Well Basically, I'm wondering If anyone can give me any insight on whether or not this could be cervical myelopathy. I was diagnosed with 2 herniated discs in my neck c4-c5 and c5-c6. I have gotten two MRI's and various X-Rays. My MRI says that I have spinal cord compression and stenosis at c4-c5, and says "there is flattening at the ventral spinal cord, deforming the anterior spinal cord."

I was given an EMG and nerve conduction test to check for nerve compression. That came back negative. What I want to know is how do you know if you have myelopathy? My MRI's say i have spinal cord compression and well is that the same thing as cervical myelopathy? Because I have alot of neurological symptoms suggestive of this, such as spasticity in my arms and legs, stiff jerky muscle movements, dizziness, vertigo, balance issues. I have seen several doctors and none of them seems to be concerned but I do not understand how my spinal cord being flattened could not be causing any problems or posing any danger.

Can anyone please help me? I'm starting to get worried I'm falling through the cracks of the medical community and not receiving adequate treatment. What constitutes cervical myelopathy? Is there a difference between that and just spinal cord compression? My MRI says my disc is herniated 5mm and that the spinal canal diameter is 9mm. I did not know where to post this so I hope anyone who has knowledge about these types of spine injuries can help me out. Thank you in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
(female)

bhills HB User
Re: cervical myelopathy.

Hi, I can relate with your symptoms. I hope you have had surgery by now. I had surgery but unfortunately I waited too long. If you notice a lack of motor skills & balance its a sure bet you have cervical myelopathy. I would have been ok if I did not continue to fall after surgery. The falls caused more trauma to the damaged cord & lead to worsening symptoms. I now use a walker at all times & take a muscle relaxant for the spasticity in my legs. The drug causes dizziness so until that side effect wears off, I have to be especially careful.
Let me know how you are doing.

Reply Reply