It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
(female)

jmabadie HB User
Post MRI Results of Cervical Spine and Surgery Advice Needed

Below are results of the MRI on my Cervical Spine. Can someone please enlighten me on what they mean and suggestions on if and what type of surgery you may reccommend?

straightening of the normal lordosis, c2-3 Mild bilateral facet arthropathy, c3-4 Moderate left and mild right facet arthropathy with mild left foraminal stenosis, c4-5 Moderate bilateral facet arthropathy with mild foraminal stenosis, c5-6 Mild degenerative disc disease. Small right paracentral disc protrusion with mild sac impingement with mild central stenosis. Moderate right and lild left facet arthropathy, C6-7 Mild dengenerative disc disease with mild annular bulge. Mild left foraminal stenosis. Cervical Radiculopathy. MRI Results of lumbar spine and head still pending.
I have been in excrutiating pain going down my right arm until I was put on Neurontin. It took over a week to get into my system beforetook the peek out of the pain but does not go away all the way. Now I am having trouble with pain in my upper left arm off and on. That is how the right arm started. I can't stand for long, sit for long and don't sleep well at night. Can someone please enlighten me?

Old 01-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
(female)

kabatron HB User
Re: MRI Results of Cervical Spine and Surgery Advice Needed

If you still need an interpretation the spinal cord disorder board has members who are excellent at putting the reports into lay mans terms. Sounds like cervical spine issues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabadie View Post
Below are results of the MRI on my Cervical Spine. Can someone please enlighten me on what they mean and suggestions on if and what type of surgery you may reccommend?

I'll try. I'm Jenny from the Spinal Cord Disorders board and I'll try to make it easy to understand taking it statement by statement. But first, you have 3 areas of nerve problems in the neck....2 spinal nerves that peel off the spinal cord at each vertebra(one goes right and one goes left) and go out to the body and the spinal cord itself. Then you have things like arthritis and the bone spurs it makes. That makes for localized pain in your neck/back. Pain going down your arm is from the spinal nerves being compressed by something inside the area where the nerves peel off the cord.

Straightening of the normal lordosis,(means your neck is going slightly straight...normal as we age)

c2-3 Mild bilateral facet arthropathy,(the facets are tiny joints on the back of the vertebrae that help to stabilize our neck when you twist it from side to side. Arthropathy means they have arthritis.)

c3-4 Moderate left and mild right facet arthropathy with mild left foraminal stenosis,(again, those tiny facet joints have arthritis and the bone spurs from that arthritis are hitting the nerve that goes out to your left shoulder area.)

c4-5 Moderate bilateral facet arthropathy with mild foraminal stenosis, (more facet joint bone spurs from arthritis and this time they are blocking both the holes(foramina) where the nerves go out to the body so both sides will hurt in the upper arm area)

c5-6 Mild degenerative disc disease. Small right paracentral disc protrusion with mild sac impingement with mild central stenosis. Moderate right and mild left facet arthropathy, (here you have signs that the disk is getting bad and it already has a small bulge in it. This bulge is starting to touch the membrane that covers the spinal cord but not the cord itself. It also blocks up the spinal canal slightly. The facet joints again have arthritis. No blockage of the holes where the nerves go out to the body.)

C6-7 Mild dengenerative disc disease with mild annular bulge. Mild left foraminal stenosis.(again the disk is showing signs of getting bad by drying out and shrinking and causing bulges. It is bulging but only a small bulge. Although it isn't specific here, I suspect that the bulge is helping to block up the hole where the nerve goes out to your body here on the left side only.

Cervical Radiculopathy.(this is what they call it when the pain shows up away from the sight of the damage and "radiates" down into the limb...your arm. I suspect it relates to the problem at C6-7 where the disk bulge is hitting the nerve, sending pain down your left arm. You'd feel this in the lower arm above the thumb area and down into your middle finger.)

MRI Results of lumbar spine and head still pending.

Now a word about the amount of trouble you have. Radiologists use the following words to rate the amount of damage they see...Minimal, Mild, Moderate and Severe. All of your problem areas are listed as Mild or Moderate so as much as it hurts, you are not in danger of permanent nerve damage. However, the doc can correlate the results with a nerve conduction study and electromyelography(called EMG/NCS for short) to make sure it is just moderate or mild. Your symptoms and reflexes will also help him/her to make the diagnosis and decide on treatment. But just to let you know, my experience and those of the others here with neck problems is that docs do not operate on necks until those areas become Severe. At that point, some of the pain will change to numbness and you'll have trouble using the muscles of the arm.

I have been in excrutiating pain going down my right arm until I was put on Neurontin. It took over a week to get into my system beforetook the peek out of the pain but does not go away all the way. Now I am having trouble with pain in my upper left arm off and on. That is how the right arm started. I can't stand for long, sit for long and don't sleep well at night. Can someone please enlighten me?
Sounds like you need to go to Pain Management and have some treatments for the pain until you neck is bad enough for surgery. Injections into the area by the nerve can really help as can meds for pain and neuropathy. The reason they wait on surgery is that surgery can cause permanent damage and it may not relieve the pain at all.

Have any questions, come on down to the Spinal Cord Disorders board and we are there to help answer them and help you.

Jenny(fused C3 to T1)

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
jmabadie (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
(female)

jmabadie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
Sounds like you need to go to Pain Management and have some treatments for the pain until you neck is bad enough for surgery. Injections into the area by the nerve can really help as can meds for pain and neuropathy. The reason they wait on surgery is that surgery can cause permanent damage and it may not relieve the pain at all.

Have any questions, come on down to the Spinal Cord Disorders board and we are there to help answer them and help you.

Jenny(fused C3 to T1)

Old 01-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
(female)

jmabadie HB User
Thumbs up Re: MRI Results of Cervical Spine and Surgery Advice Needed

Thank you Jennybyc. Your response was very really helpful in understanding the MRI results. I have had the steroid injects before but, the pain always comes back. I have even had the procedure where they go in and zapp the nerve, if you will, which gave me the most relief. But, that was before there was nerve impengment. The nerve eventually grows back and so does the pain. What do you recommend as far as my daily activities. I guess what I am asking is.... with all that is going on in my spine, is there a chance I could make matters worse if I don't limit myself? I also got my the results back from the lumber spine. More of the same that is going on as the cervical spine. I will just apply what you told me about the cervical spine the the results of the lumbar spine. Are you a doctor?

Old 01-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

No, I'm just another "body" who has a very bad neck and made it worse by breaking it. 2 major cervical surgeries down and 1 lumbar to go and possibly another cervical too. I've learned the hard way.

As for limiting your activities, I never did but as the neck got worse, that limited me with not only pain but as it worsens, the legs not working right and dropping things and all those nasty little things the neck and lumbar do to us. Pressure on the nerves causes the pain but pressure on the cord causes muscle dysfunction. The arthritis of the tiny vertebral joints(facets, uncovertebral etc.) hurts and that slows you down too. Limiting your activities won't slow down the arthritis...it will just keep on doing what it does so well!

If there is one thing that I would suggest you limit it is looking up. When you look up, it puts the most stress on the spinal cord and the adjacent nerves. So limit stargazing. Or lie down to do it.

Hope you'll come on over to the Spinal Cord board and say hello to the others there. Great group of very supportive folks.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #7
(female)

jmabadie HB User

How do I get over to the spinal cord board?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Just go back to the main board where you scroll down through the long listing of message boards(where you found the Neurology board) but you keep going down the list alphabetically until you get to the S's...you'll find us there.

Jenny

Old 06-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
(female)

makelifecount HB User
Cool Re: MRI Results of Cervical Spine and Surgery Advice Needed

Hello, I'm new to Health Boards and when I read your post, thought I'd reply even though you posted this several months ago. I've had cervical/lumbar spine pain for 12 years due partially to several auto accidents. The most aggravating part about it is all of the MRI's I've had on my neck look better than how I actually feel. Your MRI sounds almost exactly like mine did for a few years, but then the cervical disc changed. Recently a doctor told me even though you may have one or more budging disc, this isn't necessarily a permanent condition. They can change and get worse or better! And even though the doctor will tell you your MRI looks pretty good (normal), doesn't mean you shouldn't have pain. It's been my experience with Radiologist and various doctors, that they rely solely on these objective test instead of your symptoms!
My suggestion to you is to insist that someone look more closely at your cervicel Facet Joints. If they are damaged, this will account for "a lot of your pain". Read up on Facet Joint Syndrome and you'll see how this small area can make your like a living hell! It's taken me many years to figure this out and I'm just now about to get help for this miserable problem. Don't give in to the docs who tell you it's all in your head !

Old 02-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #10
(female)

mystellic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by makelifecount View Post
Hello, I'm new to Health Boards and when I read your post, thought I'd reply even though you posted this several months ago. I've had cervical/lumbar spine pain for 12 years due partially to several auto accidents. The most aggravating part about it is all of the MRI's I've had on my neck look better than how I actually feel. Your MRI sounds almost exactly like mine did for a few years, but then the cervical disc changed. Recently a doctor told me even though you may have one or more budging disc, this isn't necessarily a permanent condition. They can change and get worse or better! And even though the doctor will tell you your MRI looks pretty good (normal), doesn't mean you shouldn't have pain. It's been my experience with Radiologist and various doctors, that they rely solely on these objective test instead of your symptoms!
My suggestion to you is to insist that someone look more closely at your cervicel Facet Joints. If they are damaged, this will account for "a lot of your pain". Read up on Facet Joint Syndrome and you'll see how this small area can make your like a living hell! It's taken me many years to figure this out and I'm just now about to get help for this miserable problem. Don't give in to the docs who tell you it's all in your head !
Hello. I have chronic neck pain that radiates up the back of my head, down into my face and in my ears. I've been diagnosed with TMJ w/ myofascial pain, fibromyalgia, arthritis and herniated discs in my neck(C5&6) and a slightly pinched nerve on the left side of my neck. I have seen neurologists, rheumatologists, neurosurgeons, and a physiatrist. I'm also going to a pain clinic and they have done injections that made me worse. I can't find a doctor to help me and I am in constant chronic pain. I was prescribed Percocet 10/650 last month and it doesn't even take the edge off this pain. Also take Lyrica, Zanaflex and Celebrex. Can you offer any advice on what I should do? I would so much appreciate it...

Last edited by mystellic; 02-02-2013 at 05:31 AM.

Reply Reply