It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
(female)

Mimira HB User
Left Side of Body feels more pain than right half

I recently had my eyebrows done and I realized while I was getting them done that the left one hurts way worse than the right one. I remember feeling this way last time but didn't think anything about it.

This time I started wondering why and thought I would try pinching and scratching my left arm and my right arm. No matter what I do it seems that my right side (arm, face, etc) feels less pain than my left.

I recently have had issues with my ulnar nerves. They both became inflamed somehow last month and they tend to flare up from time to time. They get better when i keep my elbows straight so I haven't worried about it. I saw my primary physician for the ulnar nerves but he said it wasn't his specialty so he couldn't give me much advice.

Now that i am noticing a difference in pain sensitivity I am concerned.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
(male)

LSpiro HB User
Re: Left Side of Body feels more pain than right half

There were a few things that clued me in on this condition, and one of them was the same as yours; having your eyebrows done.
On my right side many hairs were plucked (and each time she asked if it hurt), but on the left side I could only handle 3 pluckings before I cried out and told her to stop.

After that I worked at Pizza Hut and was washing dishes. I tried to balance the heat of the water using my right hand.
But when I dropped in a plate with my left hand it burned a lot.

I stood there confused. Did the water change temperature?
I stuck my right hand back in and then my left and I noticed a huge difference in the feelings.
I was 20, and that is when I realized I had this condition.

My entire right half, including my face, feels things at a much lower intensity than my left half.
When I look back, I realize this was always the case even when I was not aware of it. I always put my right side forward in a fight or in any danger.

Unfortunately, Mimira, it is unlikely you will get any answers ever in your life, from anywhere.
I have already spoken to multiple doctors in multiple countries. Some thought I was faking it. Others did a lot of tests but could make no conclusions.

Based on the tests that I have undergone, it is not likely to be related to the brain directly.
But at the same time there is no reason why skin would feel sensations differently on opposite sides of the body, since it is currently considered that skin is just skin, and all sensations are interpreted by the different halves of the brain.
Not to mention that this problem effects even your tongue (if you have ever tried to notice that).

Unfortunately no doctors have any answers for this. Not enough people have realized they have this condition and stepped forward.

It has no name and there is no diagnosis for it.
I consider it a blessing, since I can undergo almost anything with my right side forward. I feel pain/cold/heat on my right side but it is just 25% or so of what I feel on my left side, so in any case I can just lean my right side forward and end up fine.

But I do hope they figure out what this is, just for my own curiosity. It does not change how I live etc., but I just want to know what it is.

Also, the other person I found with this condition had it on her left side. In other words, her left side was strong, her right side was weak. In my case it is the opposite.
But in both of our cases, the strong side was not only stronger against pain, heat, and cold, but also gathered more fat and muscle.
Throughout most of our lives we were a lot stronger (in terms of physical strength) on our strong sides, and later in life we gained weight, but more of it on the strong side. Even now I am like this. My right side is much fatter than my left side.

It was not a coincidence that we had the same condition on opposite sides, but exhibited the same symptoms on the strong side and weak side.
This is a medical mystery and I hope medical science looks into it soon.

L. Spiro

Last edited by LSpiro; 10-03-2012 at 06:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply