It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
(female)

Evalu HB User
Neck pain

My 13 year son's neck hurts when he tilts his head back, as if he's looking up at the ceiling. It's painful on his top two vertebraes of his neck. He was playing basketball had fallen on his buttocks earlier during practice, it didn't start hurting until an hour later.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Neck pain

You should get him in for an evaluation with his doc. Might be nothing but it might be something. We see people here all the time diagnosed with Chiari Malformation and kids can be born with it. Causes the brain to be lower in the brain than normal and neck pain is an early symptom. It's treatable and fixable. And then you have neck injuries.....it could be a bruise of the area at the base of the skull and if it's bad enough, could cause trouble. There are even 2 major arteries to the brain in the bones at the top of the spine and they can be hurt too.

I can think of 100 things that can be trouble in the area between the base of the skull and those top vertebrae and that alone is reason why you have it checked and ruled out. Chances are it isn't any of them and it's just a sore area that will go away but in that area, it's just not worth it to take the chance.

I've had 2 major surgeries of that area of my neck so I know how badly things can be and it's just not worth ignoring it. An x-ray or CT or MRI would tell you what is wrong if anything. All are painless and only an MRI takes some time(30 minutes as opposed to 2 minutes). Find out for sure. That is an odd place to hurt after falling on ones buttocks.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply