It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #1
(female)

punkchica HB User
Possible sciatic nerve injury after injection?

On April 6th, I went into the ER for back pain. After I had an x-ray that turned out to be fine, it was determined that it was just a muscle injury. I was then given an injection into my right buttock of Norflex. Soon after I was given the injection, I became sedated, and when I was discharged and tried to walk, I noticed that I had a lot of tingling and numbness from the waist down. I was given a prescription for 100 mg of Norflex. After 2-3 days on the medication, I returned ER with a drug allergy. The allergy is now gone. Now, 6weeks later, I am still continuing to have numbness and tingling in my right leg and I have sharp pain in my buttock and down the center of the back of my leg. When I followed up with my regular doctor, he suggested that perhaps the initial injection may have swelled up and hit my sciatic nerve. (He said that if the injection had been directly to my nerve it would have been quite painful, and I don't recall having pain during the procedure, just gradual numbness.) He started me on a course of prednisone for the possible swelling, and referred me to a neurologist. The prednisone didn't seem to help. The neurologist gave me an EMG test to check for nerve damage, but to my suprise, the results came back to be normal. I returned last week to my regular doctor, who suggested that since the EMG was normal, there has been no permanent nerve damage, and prescribed me Gabapentin, but due to side effects, I've had to stop taking it.I called my neurologist back, he isn't available until July, but I've been referred to a different neurologist.

If my injection did directly hit my sciatic nerve, would the pain be immediate? Since I was allergic to it, could the swelling have irratated the nerve? What would the appropriate treatment option be? Could there be permanent damage, or will the nerve heal?

Also, I recently visited an orthopedist, for continuing back pain, and to see if I had a sciatic problem. They gave me a MRI, but found nothing wrong with my back. Their examination however, did show a foot drop and hyperreflexive reflexes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
(male)

ShadNuke HB User
Re: Possible sciatic nerve injury after injection?

I have had numerous injections for back pain and have never had any problems with the injections. If the nerve was hit, it would have been an immediate jolt, it would be a pain you have never experienced before. I just had a nerve biopsy a couple weeks ago, and when the doc snipped the nerve in my foot, my entire nervous system lit up like I was being struck by lightning. It sounds to me like you are having the same sort of issues when i had my back problems, and to me it would seem like a herniated disc. When it comes to nerves healing, yes they do heal, it can take quite awhile, a year or more in a lot of cases, but it may never heal, depending on the severity of the damage to the nerve itself. Personally, I would go see a chiropractor, and see to it that the chiro you do see, is a chiropractic neurologist. It could be as simple as one of the vertebra being out of alignment and causing irritation on the nerve, but it cold be more. A chiro neurologist has a bit more training when it comes to the neurology side of things, so it might benefit to check with one. I hope this helps, and I'm it just rambling lol. Hang in there! Back pain isn't something I would wish on my worst enemy, and I know what you are dealing with. I feel your pain

Kevin

Last edited by ShadNuke; 05-21-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Reply Reply