It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
(male)

jay185 HB User
Question Leg weakness & myelo? One side higher than other

Hi all i did not know which section to post this but believe it to be neurological, now this is a weird one because i have so many symptoms that i don't know where to begin.

I went to see a Physio from which i got a lot of feedback in regard to a my legs getting weakness recently. I am losing strength/feeling in legs and cam't stand up/walk too much. My left side seems to be weaker than my right according to the Physio. I agree with this because when i walk on my left leg it seems to give way much more compared to the right.

After the physical exam etc i did a step test and he said my pulse seems fine in the back of legs/feet so he thinks it is neurological in origin. This was also because when he tested my back when pressing certain parts of my spine they hurt a lot especially in thoracic.

Next he told me that my body on one side is much higher than other side, 'my' left shoulder is low compared to the right and the same applied in my pelvis. I also noticed i am out of breath somewhat when he touches the upper spine, There is tender muscle tissue there. I have also lost a lot of movement according to the physio (i even shake).

After all this he said it could be mylo or myelo, he described it as nerves not having insulation to keep them warm enough (not sure if thats how you spell it). He said he would get my GP doc to refer me to neurologist with a letter. This was about 3 days ago but i'm still waiting for his letter. Am i supposed to have it by now or do Physios take some time to write them?

What kind of tests can i expect in the future? I think he said blood test and at least a scan. But i have a feeling he will send me for about 3 different things one being an EMG.

I believe what caused this was a falling accident and lifting accident when i was younger and its catching up. I believe my spine is out of place, even my ribs feel out of place and i seem to lose much balance. The weirdest symptom is that sometimes i get chest pain and i lean backwards and sometimes there is this pop or crunch and the pain disappears after this. I also had one episode of bending down and getting an electric spark feeling in the left side of my head.

Hopefully at 24 i'm still young enough to get things back to normal. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Thanks for reading.

Last edited by jay185; 05-28-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB User
Re: Leg weakness & myelo? One side higher than other

I have had spine issues for the past 24 years. And I have been thru several spine surgeries to my cervical and lumbar regions.

The problems for me ranged from herniated discs to spinal stenosis to instability of the spine which required Harrington Rods in the cervical/thoracic region & the lumbar region as well.

I still have spine issues in both the cervical & lumbar area. As to my neck I get radiating pain the left more then the right.

And lumbar pain as well. With numbness in both legs, again the left side more so then the right side.

The last MRI showed myelomalcia which means weakness in the spine. I have this sense that I am losing strength in my arms. They feel very weak at times. And upon examination he has noticed a decrease neurologically for me. I have been seeing the same neurosurgeon for the past 6 years so he knows me fairly well and the changes that have occurred over time.

I have gone thru an EMG which did show a number of things. It showed severe nerve damage in the cervical and lumbar areas; severe arthritis in the cervical and lumbar region and neuropathy which could be partially spinal and some of it due to my diabetes. That may explain the numbness that I have and the weakness in my arms as well.

At this point in time for me surgery is not recommended. Extremely risky especially after so many other spine surgeries.

I am living on Hydrocodone for the past 6 months or so and a muscle relaxant. My problems are all degenerative in nature in that I was not involved in any type of trauma.

In your case, I agree that the EMG may give you an idea as to what is occurring neurologically.

Hope all goes well for you and please keep us posted on how you are doing.

Allan

Reply Reply