It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #1
(female)

DYANNEB HB User
Unhappy Involuntary Movements & Collapsing/unconsciousness

My husband is a 43 year old man who is suffering from painful and unbearable, involuntary movements in his arms, hands and fingers. Most recently, with no warning, he began collapsing and going unconscious for up to 4 hours at a time.
We have been to numerous psychiatrists who advise this is a Neurological event and numerous Neurologists who advise it is psychological. The only diagnosis is possibly conversion disorder.

He has gone unconscious 8 times to date the most recently being yesterday 7/3/12. After the first 4 falls he went to Hackensack Hospital. He was admitted after the third collapse and they couldnít find anything specifically wrong with his heart or EEG so they released Mike with no answers.

We canít find anyone who is willing to help us figure this out so I am reaching out to find help.

When he goes unconscious he canít be woken up at all during this time. It is like he is sleeping or in a comaÖ I am so afraid that one day he wonít wake from this and it is killing me. We are also both so afraid of where he will be when it happens. He has no warning and just falls over. One time he was on a flight of stairs and with no warning he just went down.
I am afraid if we donít get some real help that my husband wonít be able to hang on any longer.

My husband suffered a stroke as a result of a tumor found on his aortic valve. He was only 41. He had been suffering and working thru the typical effects of the stroke and improving a lot but around Feb-April 2011 he started getting severe migraines. The neurologist started him on AMITIPTYLINE and the involuntary movements began and the neurologist thought it was a side effect from the medication. We stopped the medication but the movements never stopped. In about August 2011 he started with bad anxiety and depression and has horrible balance issues also.

We had always remained hopeful and worked very hard to keep our faith that with his therapy and doctors help we would get our lives back. The current issues, including collapsing and going unconscious are so scary and he can get so badly hurt by the fall.
He is in so much discomfort and pain, I canít help him. He cried after the fall last night and begged me to help himÖ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
(female)

vwalker36 HB User
Re: Involuntary Movements & Collapsing/unconsciousness

A friend of mine recently had a 'browning out' period while going down the stairs. He sat down at the bottom of the stairs, felt better, and got back up after a few minutes. He collapsed and woke up 3 hours later. this is a link to my post, and to the reply that I got. http://www.healthboards.com/boards/neurology/912693-unconscious-3-hours.html.

I am SO sorry to hear that your husband and you are going through this! My friend's bloodwork, ekg, and cat scan all came back fine - I heard that today. So, no idea what to say about that. I wonder if it wasn't a seizure of some kind? There are many different kinds. They are not always the 'grand mal' ones where the person flops around. Many seizures aren't even known unless you see the person 'blank out' as I call it.

Is it possible that it is narcolepsy? I had a friend once that had it. She said she would pass out for hours at a time, and without any warning. If I hear of anything else, I'll re-post to you. I hope this gets better!

Reply Reply