It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
(female)

Miss Lissa HB User
worst pain and fatigue I have ever had

Hi briefly a little background, Ovarian cancer survivor (did chemo and direct radiation, cancer free for 15 months now) was diagnosed with valley fever initial titer 32 now at 8. around the end of May I noticed some slight tremors in my hands and occasional numbness. This was more like I could feel if I poked myself but they were heavy and it wasn't the pins and needles you get when you sit on a foot or something. Gradually I noticed changes with my hands. Purposeful movements can only be done a little at a time for instance this typing alone is making my fingers go numb. Then into june my neck started hurting, a burning pain. Then the symptoms, fatigue and pain suddenly increased 10fold around the first week of July. Now I feel that burning pain all through my neck and back into my shoulders and abdomen. I woke up with burning in my feet one night but other than that my legs haven't been effected. I recently started itching for no reason. The burning in my abdomen seems to be worse when I stand. And lately I have had nausea and headaches that seem like sinus pain but have no congestion or anything like that. Those headaches are worse at my forehead and eyebrows (almost feel like a bruise) and radiate to the whole back of my head, Although I have had severe stabbing pains behind the eyes, usually if I overexert myself or don't get enough sleep.When I take a vicodin for the pain the burning pain goes away leaving a slight soreness like you lifted a few weights but is thousands more comfortable than the burning. I have also noticed an increase of hot and cold flashes, my depression seems a little worse but of course I have been in near constant pain for the last 2 weeks. The fatigue is the worst next to the pain. Even when I was on chemotherapy the fatigue wasn't this bad. So far I have had a ct of my brain (working on insurance approval for a brain MRI) I had a normal lumbar MRI except for narrowing at L4 and L5. I had a c spine MRI and I find out the results next week. Also I see the neurologist next month. Conditions that have been thrown around by doctors I have seen are MS, Neuropathy and fibromyalgia. I did have a spinal tap on the 27th to rule out meningitis from the valley fever and it was negative, but I don't think it caused this, it was not painful at all and I didn't get a headache or anything, also my symptoms are mostly waist up and that was in my lower back, which does cause me pain but the horrible burning pain doesn't travel much beyond my waist. I don't like popping narcotics because I don't dare drive while on them so I have to tolerate the pain at some times and it can be excruciating. Sorry bout the long post but I'm at my wits end. Advice? Thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2012, 10:16 PM   #2
(female)

Miss Lissa HB User
Re: worst pain and fatigue I have ever had

Well one of my doctors said it could very well be brain damage from the Taxol (chemo) He said in the beginning women died within a couple of years of the treatment and there weren't enough survivors to really say what it is like down the road and now they are finding all kinds of crazy things it damages, sometimes permanently. Hopefully the neurologist will do an MRI of my brain and it shows something that will give me an answer. I can handle almost anything if there is a reason. I arm myself with information, talk to other sufferers to know you aren't alone, and feel like I can define my situation. I HATE being in pain and not knowing why.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
(female)

powergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB User
Re: worst pain and fatigue I have ever had

I don't know much about chemo but I have heard that it can cause nerve damage....and it certainly sounds like a lot of what is happening with you may be related to nerves having being negatively affected....

certain chemicals can hurt the nerves in the body and especially chemo agents - it helps the bad cells but also affects the good ones - so all your symptoms could be related to chemo side effects. (I spent 6 years as a researcher in a cancer lab.)

I hope you find a specific answer to your symptoms - in the mean time look into chemo induced nerve problems on the internet.

I like your attitude - stay positive and keep searching for answers that make sense to you.

Reply Reply