It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
(female)

ThrobbingPain HB User
SHARP Throbbing Pain in Outside Edge of Foot

I'm getting a super sharp, stabbing pain in my right foot, just under the ankle on the outside. It comes on suddenly, last for a few seconds, then goes away just as fast. This repeats for four or five times, about a half hour apart but each occurrence getting closer than the last. Then it goes away for a while. When it comes back, usually later that night, they come on much faster until its every few minutes, then it gets to a point where the pain is steady and kind of pulsing/throbbing. The pain winds up a lot less severe but when it starts it drops me to my knees. Ice doesn't seem to stop it, nor does any particular position. This first happened almost a year ago, with one or two occurrences after, then it stopped altogether. Now it happened a couple of weeks ago but not full blown, and now today it is really bad, it has carried over from last evening.
I'm 39 and fairly active and in good shape, I'm on my feet most of the day. Nothing has changed in my daily rituals over the years, and I haven't injured my foot, or put it through excess stress. What could this be?
It doesnt hurt at all to the touch, I think its a nerve issue, maybe coming from my lower back. The area that feels like is being stabbed on the outside edge of my foot is the size of a dime! CRAZY!

Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #2
(female)

powergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB User
Re: SHARP Throbbing Pain in Outside Edge of Foot

I know exactly and I mean exactly what you are feeling.

It sounds like a lower back issue - either a disk problem that is impingeing on a nerve, or it could be muscles entrapping nerves or stenosis (narrowing of the space for nerves to exit the spinal cord or the spinal cord itself can have less room - central canal stenosis)......

It definitely sounds like a lower back issue - if you look at the lumbar nerves and follow what areas of the body they affect - you are looking at L5-S1 or lumbar vertebrae number 5 and sacro-lumbar vertebrae number 1.

An MRI would be helpful, although many times if a muscle is affecting the nerve you cannot see it on any Xray or MRI or even a myelogram - however, you will probably see a disk bulge or some other issue that can cause this type of pain.

Standing causes the crazy throbbing/stabbing pain on the outside of my right foot and left but more on the right - and I get the terrible throbbing in my tailbone and butt - after standing for more than 30 min.

I am very active and exercise causes the pain to increase and it gets worse at the end of the day - however, staying active is key - sounds counter intuitive but I find it to be a truth in my life.

It is very common to develop degeneration of the spine as we age - and stenosis unless it is severe is not usually treated....same with the disk problems...surgery is always an option if your symptoms get so bad you can't stand it.....

But keep in mind that anytime you have surgery on a level in your spine, say L5-S1, the levels above and below can become compromised....and you eventually can end up with more problems than what you started with (over the long run).

I have been having spinal surgeries since I was 12 years old for a genetic spinal abnormality and I currently 48 - I have had 12 major surgeries and at least 100 minor ones...so I tell you from experience....surgery is the last thing you want to do but everyone's situation is unique to them.

For peace of mind get an MRI - see what is going on - it definitely sounds like a nerve being ruffled.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
(female)

PottyMouthMom HB User

This looks as if I wrote it myself!! EVERY WORD!! Please let me know whether you've been diagnosed. Thanks!!!!

Old 08-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #4
(female)

powergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB Userpowergrub HB User

PottyMouthMom,

Recently a neurosurgeon found that my cervical spine -spinal cord was bruised at C1-2and possibly C4-6. He said that compression/bruising of the spinal cord can cause problems with legs and arms and gait and vision etc.

He said I had cervical myelopathy. He also said that cervical myelopathy can be very symptomatic for a while and then seem to get better where the symptoms lessen and them bam! start up all over again. Bottom line with cervical myelopathy is surgery. I am currently seeking a surgeon (the neurosurgeon I was going to have surgery with unexpectedly died in his sleep shortly before my surgery).

I was surprised that the neurosurgeon fixated on my neck because I never had neck problems and would have never known there was even a problem with my neck had he not pointed it out. I have severe problems with the lumbar spine and can no longer stand upright (always leaning forward at 45 degree angle or more) and was hoping something could be done to fix that problem for quality of life issues.

Have you had your neck looked at? It can't hurt to have a MRI of the neck if you are having trouble with the electrical shock and buzzing in the legs and feet and caudal area. It may help to understand what is going on or not going on with your body.

The other outlier is MS. I have had one neurologist diagnose me with it and then later say he didn't think I had it - I fit the McDonald criteria for MS but I do not believe that is my problem. The symptoms for MS can be exactly like the symptoms for cervical myelopathy and a zillion other diseases.

What tests have you had done and where are you now in your quest for answers?

K

Old 08-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #5
(female)

PottyMouthMom HB User

I can relate completely to the original post (Throbbing Pain) not so much to yours @Powergrub but thanks all the same for the response. Xrays done and they found nothing. Going for a scan now so will keep you updated. Did you see the amount of views??? Is this a common ailment and if so why don't any docs know about it???

Old 08-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
(female)

PottyMouthMom HB User

Ultrasound showed an acute inflammation in a ligament. Anti-inflammatory, Anti-biotic, steroid, elevate foot and stay off it prescribed...Day 1 and it's worse than before...Patience? Doc says it should clear up or at least improve by Day 5.

Reply Reply