It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
(female)

InTheShelter HB User
Headaches, weakness, and numbness

About 2 months ago, I began having severe headaches (on the left side of my head) that were unlike headaches I had previously, and at about the same time, developed weakness on the right side of my body and intermittent numbness in my right hand and arm. I was in the UK and didn't have international health insurance so I put off going to the doctor for a couple of weeks. After 2 weeks, the weakness and headaches were still present, so I went to a GP who sent me to the A&E. I was evaluated by the stroke team there (I was 24 at the time, I should note) and had a CT done. They ruled out a stroke but noted that I had a small (5mm) nodule in the left frontal region of my brain that they believed might be a menengioma and they admitted me to the hospital. 4 days later, I had an MRI that showed the nodule still (6mm), but at that point, they decided it was actually a bone growth from my skull and not the cause of my symptoms. I came back to the US in order to try to get things sorted out (as I'm still having headaches and weakness). I saw a neurologist here who sent me for another MRI, this time with contrast, because he was not sure that it was not, in fact, a brain tumour. I had the MRI, but this time, it didn't show anything, bone or tumour. Meanwhile, evaluations for PT and OT showed that I still have notable weakness on the right side of my body, as well as a foot drag, and slower response times. The only other seemingly neurological symptoms I've had are that I will suddenly get weakness/heaviness on both sides of my body that will last maybe a minute or so and then will go away, sometimes several times a day, sometimes a couple of times a week. I did have a seizure a year and a half ago that they never determined the cause of, but that was so long ago, it seems unrelated.

My doctors are a bit stumped at the moment as to what coud be causing my symptoms and I am concerned as to what could have been in my brain and showed up on a CT and MRI, then disappeared on an MRI a month later. Any ideas as to what could cause these neurological symptoms? Or what could have been in my brain - then disappeared?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
headache, weakness