It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #31
(female)

LucyBee210 HB UserLucyBee210 HB User
Re: foot drop?

Got a phone call this afternoon that my "new" brace had arrived via UPS. I rush there ... Oh dear .. Since the bar is now in the back instead of on the side it is almost impossible to get my foot into it. the tech had to literally take his hands and bend my foot into it because since I have no feeling in the foot I couldn't help in any way. I had wishful thinking once I got home and worked witih this thing I could possibly use other shoes with it ... Nada!! Plus it hurts with burning and tingling of the soles of the foot since there is absolutly no support at all. I cannot put anything in it to cushion because it then makes the shoe fit much tighter and hurts worse. So I am afraid this is going to have to go back and get my copay back and I am not looking forward to this because I fear a real hassle. I'll get one off eBay like you did or have the physical therapy place get me one ... Oh such problems...

I already fell from this drop foot going into the chiro's office ... Broke a bone in my foot .. should be totally healed by now. As for these doctors sticking together .. it's so typical. But in his heart I know my primary knows what he did but can't explain why he did it and what purpose it would serve...

Well, you have a good weekend .. I'm gonna try ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrae View Post
Aww heck, I know the feeling. Two months ago I was told similar, my surgeon said many folks do not heal from drop foot. It was crushing. Now his asst. said she saw a touch of improvement, but I've learned to not get my hopes up. The neurologist I saw a few years back said the same to me, no follow up appt. needed. Not words we want to hear.

My foot exercises mostly consist of ankle rotations, 20 times each direction (I have to rest in-between). I also use something similar to an elastic band around my foot and make it lift up 20 times, this is suppose to help the calf muscle. The third move I do is to tilt my foot to the left 20 times, then right 20 times, and hold it each time for a few seconds. Must say too much of this can cause extra nerve pain. BTW, I take the "horse pills" Gabapentin (Mine is the generic, Neurontin) 600mg, three times a day, lol. They can make me sleepy, but mostly help the tingly/burning/buzzing pain. Oh me, I'm seriously going to miss my Lortabs when they are gone. Trying not to take them daily now, saving what I have left for things like bad days, trips, etc. I'm thinking Florida is also cracking down hard on prescription drugs, but at this age feel we need them badly. Who cares about becoming addicted headed into late 60s/70's???

Meant to say earlier how sorry I am about your brace fitting inside the shoe. It seems you are walking right on top of the hard metal. How will the new one be different? Hopefully some type of cushion. At least it's making it able for you to walk. I think of folks in wheelchairs, they would love to be where we are now.

The most I learned from my EMG was that I "moderately severely" damaged. Sorry, not saying that well. Sounds like we had the same reaction to the test, "no response".

Oh heck, Lupus? Hopefully you'll never show any real signs. I have a friend with this problem and she seems to do fairly well. Really don't know much about it. LOL, yes, I'll Boo Hoo right along, this is a CRAZY time of life. Truly, I hope to pass on within the next ten years. I'm not cut out for the golden years!

Oh man, the doctors do stick together, no doubt about it. Seems way too fishy to me that all this directly started with the hard pinch behind the knee. Why in Hades did he do that, what was he testing for??? At our age the drs need to be extremely gentle. That's what I did my best to impress on my surgeon, THREE, times before the hip replacement. My nerves/body are fragile!

Heavens yes. At this age we need to be stable on our feet most of all. I fell about a week ago for the first time, knew it was coming one of these days. Even had the ankle brace on. Came down hard on one knee, SO afraid I broke something. Thank God I was okay........this time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #32
(female)

katrae HB User

You might need a larger shoe? I've seen this mentioned on some other posts about drop foot and the brace must be the reason why. Lord, hate anyone has to go through such a mess. Thinking I'll be in tennis shoes the rest of my life. Gonna look great with a dress, although I rarely have a dress on these days. I have started to manage a sandal in the house (no brace and dangerous), sort of an Earth Shoe with an elastic band behind the heel. My pain is much more under control, I think. I encourage you to take the larger does of nerve meds.

I'd remembered you broke a bone in the foot. Didn't know the circumstances. Sounds like it's healing with no after affects, that's really good.

Want to wish you luck with any plans about taking the brace back, trying for a refund. Really good to have the physical therapy guys to talk with. I had therapy for about six weeks, but with a forty dollar co pay for each visit, had to give them up. They were a great support team, very helpful. Bet they can give some great help and pointers. You have a good weekend too. Rain moving in on us, and wouldn't you know.....we have a big campfire night planned for Saturday. Guess we can all move to the wrap around porch, lol!

Old 10-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #33
(female)

When I bought these expensive Easy Spirit shoes I did try a 1/2 size larger and naturally the shoe floated on the right foot .. I refused to spend that kind of money $70 for a shoe that didn't fit one foot. As you know I live in Florida and I'm either barefoot or with sandals on and this big closed shoe is just about killing me. Right now (don't laugh) I have a sandal on with my invention of wrapping the ace bandage around the bottom of the shoe several times and t hen around my ankle... I still have to be careful since the ace must be stretching out..
the only effects I'm having from the fracture is the swelling which is pretty bad.

I am on a Medicare Advantage Plan - maybe you've heard of them. I am not on straight Medicare and normally I would have a copay of $20 every visit for therapy but this place says just come and we'll waive the copay. I don't think it's legal what they're doing ... not my problem but first I have get the referral to go there.. I'm on an HMO and seriously considering changing to a PPO which Blue Cross/Blue Shield has for us seniors.. That way I could go see some good doctors (if there are any left) at Shands in Gainesville or Cleveland Clinic ... I just don't feel real confident with the doctors in my area because no one is really telling me anything. Every one says the nerve damage is coming from my back. Well, I would have thought the 26 visits to the chiro stretching my spine and getting that disc off the nerve was the answer but these guys say no. They also tell me I wasted my $2500 for this treatment (Medicare does not pay for any of it) so I think I got royally screwed.. If it's coming from my back tell me what to do ... but no one tells me anything..

I will try to take the higher dose of the Gabpentin later if I don't choke to death trying.. I swear they're like horse pills !!!! I will also ask my primary if he'll refill the Lortab. You are right in saying at our age who cares if we become dependent on a pill .. I take the most 3 a day but have dwindled down to 1 or 2 due to my short supply...

As for rain, we just got a whopper of a storm. It came down in buckets with bad lightning. Crazy weather all over it seems.

Hope you stay and high dry so you can enjoy your weekend plans..

Old 10-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #34
(female)

katrae HB User

I can sure understand about the swelling and shoes too big for the other foot. Been through the same thing from the hip surgery. Stayed in a compression stocking for about five months! Hated the thing. Finally my swelling is down to a minimum. In the beginning I actually bought a cheap pair of tennis shoes that were mismatched and on sale. Believe it or not they were two different sizes and worked perfect for my messed up foot problem. I also understand the costly shoes, same here with my Saucony brand, but have found them cheaper on.....you guessed it, Ebay.

Love the ace bandage invention. It makes me think a bit about my ankle brace, with the second piece fitting under the shoe lace. Apparently the more help a person needs, they position the strap piece lower into the shoe laces. As a person steps, it lifts the forefoot. Oh me, bet you were barefoot a great deal, always in sandals. Putting on a lace up shoe is tiresome and time consuming!

Same here. I've been on an Anthem Blue Cross Advantage plan for a couple years now. It is a Regional PPO. Hah, thanks to obama wanting help funding obamacare, my plan has now been dropped! I am sick! It has also hit folks in Ohio and another state or two I can't recall. Now I've got to start over. I pray it doesn't happen in your area. Hey, as you say, "not your problem". Get all you can from the therapy outfit, their help is invaluable.

My nerve damage is also from the back, where the nerves come out from the spine, best I can figure. That's why if the nerve is ever going to heal at it's slow process, it will take a year or more. Doctors have told me there is nothing they can do to heal a nerve, the nerve has to heal itself......if it will. That's hugely upsetting about the chiro, oh dang! I've thought about trying one, but it's costly and not sure it would help in my case.

My nerve pill is huge as well. Mine can be broke in half, which is helpful at times. Please let me know if you can get more Lortab, they are extremely helpful to me except for the wretched side-effect of constipation. At the time of my hip surgery, I was taking 10 mg every four hours.....even that was not enough for all my pain. My foot would have spasms, and shooting pain out the nails! Thank goodness things are slowly better in the nerve pain department. The hip surgery did help a great deal; except for the drop foot insanity!

Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #35
(female)

As for the swelling I can only assume it's from the fracture because before I broke the bone and was only dealing with the numbness and drop foot my foot was not swollen at all.

As for my ace bandage invention, went to my sister's today and she tried everything under the sun to try to figure out some invention to get the foot held up without that

awful brace. We had a good laugh. I am pretty sure I'll be returning this 'new exchanged" one because it's almost impossible to get the shoe and brace on with the new design of this thing.

I wish I could find a Medicare Advantage Plan that's a PPO. So far so good on Florida with the advantage plans.. Possibly in a few years there will be some major changes but so far for next year we're still ok with even better benefits.. Go figure. Florida is a highly populated retirement state with lots of seniors but I do expect changes.. I do not like the HMO and the only PPO I can get on is the new BC/BS Advantage plan but there are some things I don't like about it.. I just don't know what to do yet.

My Lortab is 7.5 mgs.. I called this morning for a refill and kept my fingers crossed. Naturally she said she had to check with him and thank goodness he refilled it ... !! Now I can rest easy for awhile and use them only when necessary to stretch it out.

Last edited by moderator2; 10-05-2012 at 06:57 PM.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 AM   #36
(female)

katrae HB User

Good morning Lucy. It was a crazy weekend, still recovering. On top of it all, pulled a muscle in my lower back carrying a heavy flower pot into the house for the winter. When will I ever learn. Still suffering.

How is it going with the brace situation? Anything new going on? My walking was at it's worst this weekend. Another upsetting situation. Hated for all our friends to see me this way. Thank goodness I had no falling episodes. Thinking a lot was due to being overly tired, and some new tennis shoes I had on.

Found out the local senior center, and the library will have people in next week to help figure out a new insurance plan for next year. Still think it won't be as good as the BC/BS Advantage plan I've had for a few years. Read where many seniors will still have their Advantage plans and even with better benefits, as you mentioned. Don't know WHY my area had to be in their dang "test group". One thing is for sure, there's no way Medicare can go on as we know it and still take care of the huge Boomer generation coming in.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:45 AM   #37
(female)

katrae HB User

P.S. Wanted to say huge congrats on the Lortab refill! That's wonderful news and takes a bit of pressure off things. I've skipped mine the last two afternoons trying to conserve what I have. We'll take a short vacation this month, want to be sure to have plenty at that time. They are sooo helpful! Sure would be nice to have them for my lower back problem and plan on taking one this afternoon. BTW, my nerve pain is somewhat under control with the 1,800 mg of Neurontin these days. A nice side effect is the drug is helping me fall asleep faster at night, getting more rest.

Doing my exercises religiously. Seeing an extremely small bit of improvement and praying it will continue.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #38
(female)

Anyway, the Lortab issue was not as I expected. The gal called in a mere 30 pills with instructions to take one a day and witih NO refills. What a mess. So that took a phone call to straighten it out so an adjustment was called into the pharmacy ..

I've swapped braces again and I'm sending the tech crazy with all these changes.. I should be getting yet another one (smaller foot plate) any day now. The thing is not comfortable and hurts but it can't be helped. Glad to hear your foot pain is getting better. Mine isn't too bad except at night when I take the brace off and get into bed.. That's when the stabbing pains start.

Well, have a 'careful' day. We're having beautiful fall weather this morning but it won't last long before the humidity creeps back in and makes us miserable. As for our medicare Advantage Plan - no changes for us next year so we'll stay with the one we've had for a few years now. At least they pay our $96.40. BC/BS just came out this year with their plan .. is pretty good and a PPO which is good but I don't like their out of pocket or copays... We have so many to choose from .. after all Florida is a seniors paradise !!

Take care ..

Last edited by moderator2; 10-10-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:07 PM   #39
(female)

katrae HB User

This is so wonderful about the Lortabs, and then to be able to correct the issue for more pills with refills. Unheard of in KY since the KASPER drug law took total effect last month. It's very frightening here now, pain medication is very hard to get. Everyone is being sent to pain clinics, and even then some folks are being treated as criminals/druggies. I pray it will all be corrected in some fashion soon. So thankful I'm not in need of this type med right now.

The smaller foot-plate sounds very interesting. This might take care of several issues. Especially nice it should be there in a few days, not a long wait. Have you any idea why the foot pain comes at night, not so much during the day? Even with my Neurontin I can move my foot and feel the discomfort, it's always with me. In your home are you always using a cane/walker?

I'm self-employed and spent most of my life with no insurance. So even a higher co-pay seems a luxury to me. Medicare takes their money right out of my Social Security, I think it's around $95 or $99 dollars a month right now. On top of this I'm paying $43 a month to Anthem BC/BS for a Regional PPO, it has additional coverage and drug coverage, best I can figure out. Have no idea what I'll have to go to next...............

Old 10-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #40
(female)

Quote:
This is so wonderful about the Lortabs, and then to be able to correct the issue for more pills with refills. Unheard of in KY since the KASPER drug law took total effect last month. It's very frightening here now, pain medication is very hard to get. Everyone is being sent to pain clinics, and even then some folks are being treated as criminals/druggies. I pray it will all be corrected in some fashion soon. So thankful I'm not in need of this type med right now.

The smaller foot-plate sounds very interesting. This might take care of several issues. Especially nice it should be there in a few days, not a long wait. Have you any idea why the foot pain comes at night, not so much during the day? Even with my Neurontin I can move my foot and feel the discomfort, it's always with me. In your home are you always using a cane/walker?

I'm self-employed and spent most of my life with no insurance. So even a higher co-pay seems a luxury to me. Medicare takes their money right out of my Social Security, I think it's around $95 or $99 dollars a month right now. On top of this I'm paying $43 a month to Anthem BC/BS for a Regional PPO, it has additional coverage and drug coverage, best I can figure out. Have no idea what I'll have to go to next...............
I have read where many states are cracking down on prescription meds and also about those pain clinics. In Florida many of them have been shut down. I have no idea why my foot pain starts when idle in bed .. I do have to use a cane all the time .. not only for balance but because of the total numbness in my foot .. Today I got energetic and actually got on the riding lawn mower and mowed the front. Felt good to be out and semi-active again but I have to be so careful. As for the Medicare plans ... we are very fortunate here so far since we have so many to choose from and I have no complaints thus far other than it being an HMO and having to deal with referrals.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #41
(female)

katrae HB User

I've heard for the past few years about Florida's pain clinics. How many of the clinics were unregulated. The drugs from FL and TX would flow up into our area and on to Appalachia. Felt like the FL clinics were finally being taken care of, which is good news. Meanwhile KY was still going wild, I guess. I was fairly clueless on it all, but recently realized it's a problem in my small rural town as well. Sheesh!

Oh my, I am SO ENVIOUS. How wonderful to be outside, doing something you've probably done for years. I MISS mowing my own yard, and now I miss the money I have to pay someone else to keep it mowed! My yard is smallish and I use a power mower I would walk behind. Maybe someday.....................

I pray FL Medicare Advantage Plans stay up to par, not go the route mine has. Only time will tell. Found out I probably can't talk with an expert until November 15th. We have some agents in the area, but feel they will swing me toward something benefiting them.

Last edited by katrae; 10-11-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #42
(female)

katrae HB User

I've heard for the past few years about Florida's pain clinics. How many of the clinics were unregulated. The drugs from FL and TX would flow up into our area and on to Appalachia. Felt like the FL clinics were finally being taken care of, which is good news. Meanwhile KY was still going wild, I guess. I was fairly clueless on it all, but recently realized it's a problem in my small rural town as well. Sheesh!

Oh my, I am SO ENVIOUS. How wonderful to be outside, doing something you've probably done for years. I MISS mowing my own yard, and now I miss the money I have to pay someone else to keep it mowed! My yard is smallish and I use a power mower I would walk behind. Maybe someday.....................

I pray FL Medicare Plans stay up to par, not go the route mine has. Only time will tell. Found out I probably can't talk with an expert until November 15th. We have some agents in the area, but feel they will swing me toward something benefiting them.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #43
(female)

Yes, Florida cleaned up those "pill mills" pretty good and glad of it. It was just an easy outlet for drug users. As for working outside ... that is the first time I've been outside doing anything in over 2 years and it shows!!! We have an acre but all I managed was the first on the riding mower. So much to do and now I know not to go outside and look at all the weeds and things that need "doing" .. just frustrates me more.

If you're looking around for another advantage plan why do you have to wait? Open enrollment starts any day now thru early December ... ??? Like I said before, we are fortunate down here with so many plans we can choose from. I don't expect these plans will stay around with such good benefits in the next couple of years .. so many changes planned by both candidates.

Have a good one .. I'm still hobbling around and still waiting for a call to let me know my "other" brace is ready to pick up... Just a waiting game.

Quote:

I pray FL Medicare Plans stay up to par, not go the route mine has. Only time will tell. Found out I probably can't talk with an expert until November 15th. We have some agents in the area, but feel they will swing me toward something benefiting them.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #44
(female)

katrae HB User

Hi Lucy, sure understand the frustration about work needing done outside the home; an acre is a lot in my book. You've a great deal to keep up. I would love to get out the electric hedge trimmers, take care of two large shrubs, spread pine needles for mulch. Maybe when I quit work next spring, things will get done............ Any plans of ever leaving your place? It crosses my mind, move into an apartment building, etc. Then I watch one of the Hoarder shows on tv. Makes my skin crawl to think a neighbor unknown to me might be living in filth/rodents/bugs. Will do my best to stay in my home to the bitter end.

The reason for the wait on picking a new Medicare plan is a group will be in our county on November 15th. They will be at the Senior Center during the morning, the library in the afternoon. I like to keep "loose ends" caught up, not sure I can make myself wait until then. One agent in town right now is suppose to be an expert, I could see him right away but I really do not jive with his personality.

Had to yell out during the vice presidental debates last night. They were talking about Medicare Advantage Plans being in danger. Dang, mine has already bit the dust boys, sheesh! Of course no one was listening to me.

Going brave today, have my ankle brace off. Wearing sturdy tennis shoes. Heck, the one time I fell, I was wearing the brace! Have got to be very mindful of every step. Look forward to three days off from work this weekend, seeing family/friends, a bit of travel. Let the good times roll, sort of.......................

Last edited by katrae; 10-12-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #45
(female)

Yes, I agree that this much property needs a lot of maintenance and upkeep. That was my job because I loved doing it but my husband doesn't see things the way I see them... LOL.. we did think about possibly moving down closer to our girls and grandsons .. possibly to a 55+ park or condo but after thinking long and hard on it we decided to stay put. We don't have the energy to make a move at this point not to mention that area is too busy and congested for us..

I thought of you last night when they talked about the advantage plans phasing out ... LOL ... I am sure big changes will be made whoever gets in office..

Be careful with that ankle brace off. You are brave. You are right in saying you have to concentrate on every step you take .. My foot looks normal in the mornings but within an hour without the brace on it is so swollen.. I am trying to keep positive but it's hard ... I feel so restricted.

Well, souinds like you're in for a great long weekend so enjoy and be careful.

Quote:
Hi Lucy, sure understand the frustration about work needing done outside the home; an acre is a lot in my book. You've a great deal to keep up. I would love to get out the electric hedge trimmers, take care of two large shrubs, spread pine needles for mulch. Maybe when I quit work next spring, things will get done............ Any plans of ever leaving your place? It crosses my mind, move into an apartment building, etc. Then I watch one of the Hoarder shows on tv. Makes my skin crawl to think a neighbor unknown to me might be living in filth/rodents/bugs. Will do my best to stay in my home to the bitter end.

The reason for the wait on picking a new Medicare plan is a group will be in our county on November 15th. They will be at the Senior Center during the morning, the library in the afternoon. I like to keep "loose ends" caught up, not sure I can make myself wait until then. One agent in town right now is suppose to be an expert, I could see him right away but I really do not jive with his personality.

Had to yell out during the vice presidental debates last night. They were talking about Medicare Advantage Plans being in danger. Dang, mine has already bit the dust boys, sheesh! Of course no one was listening to me.

Going brave today, have my ankle brace off. Wearing sturdy tennis shoes. Heck, the one time I fell, I was wearing the brace! Have got to be very mindful of every step. Look forward to three days off from work this weekend, seeing family/friends, a bit of travel. Let the good times roll, sort of.......................

Reply Reply