It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #46
(female)

katrae HB User
Re: foot drop?

LOL, wellll, I wanted the font a bit larger. Guess things got carried away!

Old 10-14-2012, 10:10 AM   #47
(female)

Dachshund HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyBee210 View Post
hi Tony & Kathleen: This is my first post and so glad I found the topic on foot drop. I suddenly developed nerve damage and foot drop to the left foot after suffering with sciatica for 8 months. On top of that, due to the foot drop I fell on July 13th, 2012 and fractured the base of the 5th metatarsal. My foot is just about healed from the fracture but still so very swollen and I know the extreme pain is from the nerve damage. this condition started in April (2012) and it is very debilitating. I use a cane now and am being fitted with a foot brace to prevent the foot from dropping and causing another injury. I am taking Gabapentin 400 mg for the pain which does help and inbetween I take Lortab 7.5 mg. Sleeping is the worst since the pain tends to be worse at night than during the day when I am mobile. My neurologist cannot answer my questions as to when I can expect to have a normal foot again. I am being scheduled for an MRI of the left knee to see if there might be a cyst or tumor behind the knee pressing on the nerve. Other than that I am living with this and it has really interrupted my life in that I am so restricted in doing the things I did before and took for granted. Simple tasks like general housecleaning ... oh well .. I could go on and on but you get the picture. Just wanted to input my dilemma...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #48
(female)

Dachshund HB User

Hi. So sorry about your drop foot. I had back surgery 4 yrs ago and it left me nerve damage and a drop foot. The nerve damage cannot be fixed. I did have a tendon transfer for the drop foot and it is on the mend. It is not dropping down anymore. I do still use a AFO only because of the nerve damage. The tendon transfer was not bad. The recovery time was about. 6 weeks or so. I am trying to walk around without the brace while in the house. The nerve pain I have is very very very bad. Thank God for pain pills. Hope you recover soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dachshund For This Useful Post:
katrae (10-15-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #49
(female)

LucyBee210 HB UserLucyBee210 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
Hi. So sorry about your drop foot. I had back surgery 4 yrs ago and it left me nerve damage and a drop foot. The nerve damage cannot be fixed. I did have a tendon transfer for the drop foot and it is on the mend. It is not dropping down anymore. I do still use a AFO only because of the nerve damage. The tendon transfer was not bad. The recovery time was about. 6 weeks or so. I am trying to walk around without the brace while in the house. The nerve pain I have is very very very bad. Thank God for pain pills. Hope you recover soon.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #50
(female)

Thanks for your input. Glad to hear your drop foot is getting better. Wish I could say the same. I still have the awful nerve damage and the drop foot but would settle with nerve damage for the rest of my days if I could only get rid of the foot issue. I have terrible doctors and in the process of changing.. No one answers my questions ... Well, good luck to you. Are you taking Gabapentin for the nerve pain? It helps along with the Lortab...

Keep in touch...

Old 10-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #51
(female)

Dachshund HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyBee210 View Post
Thanks for your input. Glad to hear your drop foot is getting better. Wish I could say the same. I still have the awful nerve damage and the drop foot but would settle with nerve damage for the rest of my days if I could only get rid of the foot issue. I have terrible doctors and in the process of changing.. No one answers my questions ... Well, good luck to you. Are you taking Gabapentin for the nerve pain? It helps along with the Lortab...

Keep in touch...

Old 10-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #52
(female)

Dachshund HB User

Hi LucyBee. I am so sorry thay you can't find a good dr. I know the feeling, I tried several before I found one that real could tell me what was going on. The dr. That did the back surgery and caused the nerve problem never told me what he had done. I tried to sue him ,but I could not get another dr. To talk against him. They are like that. When I did find a good one the time had lapse for me sue him. I tried taking gab. But I got dizzy and fell ( my poor husband had a time lifting me what with my dog licking me, he thought I was playing on the floor) I now take perocet, it really helps me get thru the day. I go for blood work every 6mos to check things out. If you check out the tendon transfer surgery letme know and I will tell you all. I find that keeping a heavy pair of socks on helps the blood flow better. I feel for you because I feel the same. But one good thing we will become good friends.
Dach

Old 10-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #53
(female)

Whoa .. what a familiar story about how your nerve damage started!! I don't know if you've read any of my previous posts on this but my nerve damage was most definitely caused by my primary doctor. He pinched the nerve behind and on the side of my knee with all his might it seemed and 3 days later my drop foot started along with the numb foot and part of the leg... Of course every doctor I've seen pooh - poohs my theory and they say it's just a coincidence.. I don't buy it and never will. And it's so true how these doctors watch each other's back and stick together like glue.. All cowards!!

Tendon transfer surgery sounds so extensive.. it's never been brought up by anyone I've seen .. in fact nothing has been brought up as to what to do, how long I have to deal with this, etc, etc.. and that's why I will find another doctor or two..

If I took Percocet I'd be in bed all day sleeping.. As it isi the Lortab just about close my eyes but I'm only taking them twice a day at the most.. But always before bed ...

Had to go to a few stores today and naturally that brace just kills me after 30 minutes so the minute I got home I took it off. I find those surgical stockings work wonders for me. It keeps the swelling down but if I go barefoot oh dear my foot swells and hurts so bad. I have to use a cane all the time since I can't feel my foot at all..What kind of brace do you have?

Well ... keep in touch so we can compare notes....
Lucille
QUOTE=Dachshund;5072136]Hi LucyBee. I am so sorry thay you can't find a good dr. I know the feeling, I tried several before I found one that real could tell me what was going on. The dr. That did the back surgery and caused the nerve problem never told me what he had done. I tried to sue him ,but I could not get another dr. To talk against him. They are like that. When I did find a good one the time had lapse for me sue him. I tried taking gab. But I got dizzy and fell ( my poor husband had a time lifting me what with my dog licking me, he thought I was playing on the floor) I now take perocet, it really helps me get thru the day. I go for blood work every 6mos to check things out. If you check out the tendon transfer surgery letme know and I will tell you all. I find that keeping a heavy pair of socks on helps the blood flow better. I feel for you because I feel the same. But one good thing we will become good friends.
Dach[/QUOTE]

The Following User Says Thank You to LucyBee210 For This Useful Post:
katrae (10-15-2012)
Old 10-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #54
(female)

katrae HB User

Hello Dachshund. I have the nerve pain as well, from drop foot. Taking 1800mgs of Neurontin a day, it does keep the pain under control. Before the Neurontin I couldn't stand for even the sheet on my bed to touch my outside calf, ankle and foot. Have had drop foot for over six months now. It originated from hip replacement surgery. What a mess! Glad the tendon transfer worked for you, it had to have helped greatly. Thinking I'm lucky because at least my drop foot is letting me hold the foot straight, it doesn't hang down limply. Praying it will continue to improve, but preparing myself that this is the best it will ever be.........

Old 10-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #55
(female)

katrae HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
Hi LucyBee. I am so sorry thay you can't find a good dr. I know the feeling, I tried several before I found one that real could tell me what was going on. The dr. That did the back surgery and caused the nerve problem never told me what he had done. I tried to sue him ,but I could not get another dr. To talk against him. They are like that. When I did find a good one the time had lapse for me sue him. I tried taking gab. But I got dizzy and fell ( my poor husband had a time lifting me what with my dog licking me, he thought I was playing on the floor) I now take perocet, it really helps me get thru the day. I go for blood work every 6mos to check things out. If you check out the tendon transfer surgery letme know and I will tell you all. I find that keeping a heavy pair of socks on helps the blood flow better. I feel for you because I feel the same. But one good thing we will become good friends.
Dach
Dach, tell me more about the blood flow to your foot, if you don't mind. It's turning cooler here in KY. I'm noticing my calf, ankle, foot are becoming colder all the time. Does the sock help totally? I was fine during the summer but hate this coldness. Very concerned about winter. Wondering too what exercise you might be doing for your foot problem. I've been doing ankle rotations, trying to walk but no good at distances. BTW, do you find the drop foot is putting a lot of strain on your other leg? I'm very worried about this issue. Thanks, kathleen

Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #56
(female)

Dachshund HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrae View Post
Dach, tell me more about the blood flow to your foot, if you don't mind. It's turning cooler here in KY. I'm noticing my calf, ankle, foot are becoming colder all the time. Does the sock help totally? I was fine during the summer but hate this coldness. Very concerned about winter. Wondering too what exercise you might be doing for your foot problem. I've been doing ankle rotations, trying to walk but no good at distances. BTW, do you find the drop foot is putting a lot of strain on your other leg? I'm very worried about this issue. Thanks, kathleen
Kathleen, have a granddaughter called Kathleen. Anyway, my foot and leg gets cold. It never has been normal since the nerve damage, I think the sock helps, also I use a heating pad for 15 min's late in the day with my leg up. No more than 15min because you might burn yourself as you really can't feel too much in the leg. I have a rubber band that I use to bring my foot up and down, if you do not have one. Use a towel. Also sit up straight in a chair with feet on the floor and curl your toes 10 times move the foot on the side and hold it there for a few mins then move foot to the other side. This is hard for me to do. I can do the foot on the right but it's hard for me to the left side. I also use a cane, but when in the kitchen I walk holding on to the counters. I find that in the mornings i can walk with out the cane more and more, but this some times gives me a back ache. But, Kathleen, it could be worse we could be bed ridden. Keep up the good work, hope it won't be to bad a winter. I am in VA. So we get cold too. Have a piece of chocolate. Dach

Old 10-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #57
(female)

Dachshund HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucybee210 View Post
whoa .. What a familiar story about how your nerve damage started!! I don't know if you've read any of my previous posts on this but my nerve damage was most definitely caused by my primary doctor. He pinched the nerve behind and on the side of my knee with all his might it seemed and 3 days later my drop foot started along with the numb foot and part of the leg... Of course every doctor i've seen pooh - poohs my theory and they say it's just a coincidence.. I don't buy it and never will. And it's so true how these doctors watch each other's back and stick together like glue.. All cowards!!

Tendon transfer surgery sounds so extensive.. It's never been brought up by anyone i've seen .. In fact nothing has been brought up as to what to do, how long i have to deal with this, etc, etc.. And that's why i will find another doctor or two..

If i took percocet i'd be in bed all day sleeping.. As it isi the lortab just about close my eyes but i'm only taking them twice a day at the most.. But always before bed ...

Had to go to a few stores today and naturally that brace just kills me after 30 minutes so the minute i got home i took it off. I find those surgical stockings work wonders for me. It keeps the swelling down but if i go barefoot oh dear my foot swells and hurts so bad. I have to use a cane all the time since i can't feel my foot at all..what kind of brace do you have?

Well ... Keep in touch so we can compare notes....
Lucille
quote=dachshund;5072136]hi lucybee. I am so sorry thay you can't find a good dr. I know the feeling, i tried several before i found one that real could tell me what was going on. The dr. That did the back surgery and caused the nerve problem never told me what he had done. I tried to sue him ,but i could not get another dr. To talk against him. They are like that. When i did find a good one the time had lapse for me sue him. I tried taking gab. But i got dizzy and fell ( my poor husband had a time lifting me what with my dog licking me, he thought i was playing on the floor) i now take perocet, it really helps me get thru the day. I go for blood work every 6mos to check things out. If you check out the tendon transfer surgery letme know and i will tell you all. I find that keeping a heavy pair of socks on helps the blood flow better. I feel for you because i feel the same. But one good thing we will become good friends.
Dach
[/quote]

Old 10-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #58
(female)

katrae HB User

LOL, yes Dach chocolate goes a long way toward making things better for a bit, thank you. Thank you too for the helpful information.

Just recently I've been using a heating pad in the evenings. Like you, a bit concerned about burning myself because of less awareness. It does help with the coldness. I'm still working, 33 hours a week in a used book shop. Have serious plans of retirement in the Spring; I'm 67 years old. My life is extremely full, and hoping I don't have regrets of quitting work.

Your exercises are similar to my own. Are you making a point of standing on the numb foot, holding on to a counter, etc.? Wondering how much this might help keep the calf muscle strong. I may invest in the rubber band, have been using an old terry cloth belt. Same here, have more trouble holding the foot to the outside for several seconds. When I turn it to the inside it does better. Maybe this is because the nerve runs down the outside of my calf. That's where the numbness is focused, the outside of the calf, ankle and foot. I've read the big toe is the last to recover, if there ever will be recovery. My outside toes (meaning smallest, etc) are curling under. Do you find this happening?

Most of the time I'm wearing the soft ankle brace to help lift the forefoot; need lace up shoes for this. At home, sandals. Hoping someday to be wearing the sandals often. These are not slip-on sandals, there's an elastic strap behind the heel.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #59
(female)

katrae HB User

LOL, yes Dach chocolate goes a long way toward making things better for a bit, thank you. Thank you too for the helpful information.

Just recently I've been using a heating pad in the evenings. Like you, a bit concerned about burning myself because of less awareness. It does help with the coldness. I'm still working, 33 hours a week in a used book shop. Have serious plans of retirement in the Spring; I'm 67 years old. My life is extremely full, and hoping I don't have regrets of quitting work.

Your exercises are similar to my own. Are you making a point of standing on the numb foot, holding on to a counter, etc.? Wondering how much this might help keep the calf muscle strong. I may invest in the rubber band, have been using an old terry cloth belt. Same here, have more trouble holding the foot to the outside for several seconds. When I turn it to the inside it does better. Maybe this is because the nerve runs down the outside of my calf. That's where the numbness is focused, the outside of the calf, ankle and foot. I've read the big toe is the last to recover, if there ever will be recovery. My outside toes (meaning smallest, etc) are curling under. Do you find this happening?

Most of the time I'm wearing the soft ankle brace to help lift the forefoot; need lace up shoes for this. At home, sandals. Hoping someday to be wearing the sandals often. These are not slip-on sandals, there's an elastic strap behind the heel.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #60
(female)

Dachshund HB User

Hi Kathleen. I have nerve damage the effect,s the whole leg, walking is very hard for me with out the brace. ( it slips in my shoe to hold my foot up and goes up the back of my leg to keep my knee from giving away. My leg is very stiff and will not bend . I do walk around barefoot alot, it feels so good. I do alot of walking my daughter takes shopping every Monday morning and I walk the store, we then stop for coffee. I try to go to my grandson's football games. They let me go in a special door so I don't have to walk up the bleachers. I also try to go to target and walk around there also. Any big store that has a cart is perfect. So I guess the more we walk the better we are. I am 79 although do not feel it. If it were not for the leg I would be in very good shape. No other problems. One thing I can not do that drives me crazy I can not drive because I have no control of the leg. That hurts. You will love being retired. There is some thing about never having to be some place at a certain time and if I don't want to dress up till 9-10 AM it's ok. Keep the leg warm. Rub it several times a day won't hurt either. Guess what I had last nite? A candy apple. My daughter bought me 3 and I sure love them. Hahaha. Take care, enjoy the day, alice

Reply Reply