HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Neurology (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/neurology/)
-   -   foot drop? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/neurology/917335-foot-drop.html)

tony711 09-06-2012 10:20 PM

foot drop?

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum but I wanted to see if anyone ever experienced foot drop?

This past Monday I was playing tennis and there was no injury but the next day I was sore and the muscle next to my shin was sore. The on Wednesday I was walking and I noticed I couldn't list my ankle since I was still sore.

Today has been the same but now I realize I can not lift my toe or ankle towards my body. I went online and I found the condition is called foot drop.

But it seems most of the time it has to do with an injury to the back to or the ankle which I did not have.

I still have the soreness in the muscle around the shin area but there is no pain. I guess what I'm trying to find out will this go away? I just don't think I can have this foot drop because of playing tennis and I got sore muscle? And if I had damaged the nerves I think I would be in pain.

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

Tony

katrae 09-08-2012 11:46 AM

Re: foot drop?

Hi Tony hopefully your drop foot will soon be gone. Mine was caused five months ago from a traction injury during hip replacement. Guess my body was stretched too far, for too long and the Sciatic nerve was injured. Not sure mine will ever be well. Apparently the nerve heals at a rate of one inch a month, from the top down. I do have buzzing, tingling going on in my foot/ankle/outside calf. At times my ankle can feel like concrete, and is always numb. Sounds like your problem is much less severe and should be well soon. kathleen

katrae 09-08-2012 11:51 AM

I should add that two years before my surgery I saw a neurologist. My GP had used the hammer thingy on my knees one day, and usually a person's lower leg would jump. Mine leg barely moved. Then he did the test on the bottom of my foot, which should have made me jump but I felt nothing. So I've known for a while my nerves were not in good condition. BTW, previously I'd been a runner for 15 years thinking it was good exercise. Not. Fast walking was the way to go, but it's way too late now......................

tony711 09-08-2012 01:40 PM

Hi Kathleen,

I hope you get better it sure sucks to have this foot drop.

I asked this doctor about mine and he said that it sounds like the fibular neck and if I touch it if I feel pain then it is the cause and he was right.

Hopefully it will go away .

LucyBee210 09-13-2012 07:15 AM

hi Tony & Kathleen: This is my first post and so glad I found the topic on foot drop. I suddenly developed nerve damage and foot drop to the left foot after suffering with sciatica for 8 months. On top of that, due to the foot drop I fell on July 13th, 2012 and fractured the base of the 5th metatarsal. My foot is just about healed from the fracture but still so very swollen and I know the extreme pain is from the nerve damage. this condition started in April (2012) and it is very debilitating. I use a cane now and am being fitted with a foot brace to prevent the foot from dropping and causing another injury. I am taking Gabapentin 400 mg for the pain which does help and inbetween I take Lortab 7.5 mg. Sleeping is the worst since the pain tends to be worse at night than during the day when I am mobile. My neurologist cannot answer my questions as to when I can expect to have a normal foot again. I am being scheduled for an MRI of the left knee to see if there might be a cyst or tumor behind the knee pressing on the nerve. Other than that I am living with this and it has really interrupted my life in that I am so restricted in doing the things I did before and took for granted. Simple tasks like general housecleaning ... oh well .. I could go on and on but you get the picture. Just wanted to input my dilemma...

tony711 09-13-2012 09:06 AM

Hi Lucy,

I'am still experiencing the footdrop but it seems to got alittle better. I massage it at nights before going to bed and during the day I give it some excersies so it may heal soon.

About the pain you have at night, the thing I have learned from my experience with injuries and pain is that the pain always happens at night no matter what. The trick is take the pain killers before the pain has even started at night, this has always worked for me. No point taking pain killers when you already have the pain.

LucyBee210 09-13-2012 10:06 AM

Hi Tony ... Thanks for your input. Glad to hear you're drop foot issues seem to be improving. Wish I could say the same .. As for the pain meds .. that is when I take the 400 mg Gabapentin just before i go to bed and I take the Lortab about an hour before that ...

I hope you continue to imiprove ... Thanks again.

NeuroMedAsst 09-16-2012 08:12 AM

Tony, Foot drop can be caused by a few things...the most common I see working in Neurology is damage to the peroneal motor nerve. If you can't lift your toes, there may be nerve damage to the extensor digitorum brevis muscle in the foot (this is the muscle that you use to life your toes). I have seen in many patients when they can't lift their toes that muscle is completely gone, but that's mostly patients with Neuropathy and it affects both extremities. Foot drop can also be caused by damage or slowing of the peroneal motor nerve at the head of the fibula bone, or by damage to the deep peroneal motor nerve, which controls the shin muscle (tibialis anterior). I have also seen one time that foot drop was caused by a ganglion cyst behind the knee. It can also be caused by a pinched nerve in your lumbar spine at L4/L5. Due to so many possible causes, it is important to be seen by a Neurologist. I am also an EMG tech, meaning I perform nerve conduction studies, which diagnose and find cause for many issues including foot drop. It is the best way to find out the cause and to treat it.

LucyBee210 09-16-2012 09:22 AM

Read your post to Tony and what you had to contribute is very interesting and helpful. I suffered witih sciatica which would not go away. I had 26 visits with the chiropractor for spinal decompression. that eased up the sciatica down the left leg but then the numbness and drop foot of the left leg and foot started. I had the nerve conduction studies which confirmed nerve damage. My neurologist is now ordering an MRI of the knee to see what's behind it - if anything. I am fitted with a drop foot brace and I take Gabapentin for the sharp stabbing pains in my foot. My life has been totally turned around since all this began and I am hoping one day soon I'll be able to function as I did before this foot issue started.

katrae 09-25-2012 03:38 PM

Hi LucyBee, sorry you are having to go through this mess. I feel the same, just want my life back. I must say that I'm at month 6 right now and adjusting to the foot drop somewhat. Mine does not fall totally downward, I can hold it straight with concentration. Want to tell of my experience with braces. My first was plastic with velcro band. It fit into my shoe and up around the calf, very uncomfortable. Found I could get on a site like eBay and buy a soft, smaller brace that did not go into the shoe. It has a band around my ankle with Velcro attachments. A second smaller piece fits under the shoe laces with a short strap that hooks into the ankle band. This strap lifts the forefoot/toes. Much, much nicer. Sells for about $80. Right now I guess my goal is to learn to walk better with the problem, adjust to the maximum degree. Truly doubt I'll ever heal from the stretched Sciatic nerve cause from hip replacement surgery. Best of luck to you.

LucyBee210 09-25-2012 05:30 PM

Hi Katrae: Thanks for the input. I am still going round and round with this and it's driving me crazy. I just feel so abandoned by all medical professionals .. it's like no one really cares. I was supposed to get my foot brace last week. Went for my appt and was told then the company sent the wrong foot .. sent one for the right foot instead of the left. Still waiting a week later. My brace is metal which fits inside the shoe. it has a metal bar going up the side of the leg with a velcro adjustment just under the knee. It was pretty expensive - $650 but my copay was $135.00. I know once I get it I'll have to get used to it. My worst problem right now is the awful stabbing pains in the foot and the unsteadiness of my gait ..I use a cane and occasionally my walker with wheels but every step I take is a risk...

Thanks for your info ...

LucyBee210 09-25-2012 05:38 PM

Hi: I see you are in the medical field and must ask you this very important question. I don't know if you've read any of my posts concerning my nerve damage and drop foot and I wish you would if you haven't already to better understand my issues. My nerve damage and foot drop actually began the day I saw my primary doctor for sciatica down my left leg. He, for some reason, placed his fingers behind my left knee, pushed inward and pinched the back of my knee very hard. At the instant he did this I thought my foot was going to explode off of my leg .. electrical-type exploding pain.. When I yelled and asked him what that was all about he just ignored me. My foot immediately had a pins and needles sensation for a few days and then the numbness and drop foot started. Could this "pinch" have entrapped the peroneal nerve and if so ... what's the next step ... if any? Any help appreciated.

katrae 09-27-2012 01:56 PM

Hi Lucy. I probably should be using a cane at all times too, but it's been six months now and feeling a bit more sure of myself. Saw my surgeon's asst yesterday, she said always to use the foot brace; and not even to trust it fully. She's seen too many folks fall. For the very first time I did get some encouraging news. She could see some improvement on my drop foot garbage. Said in a year we'd know more, and probably another EMG test was in my future to see how much (if any) the Sciatic nerve had improved. She upped my Neurontin med for nerve pain from 600mg a day to 900mg. KY has gone crazy over presc. pain med abuse and there's no way I'd be getting any more Lortab help.

I also went through a big mess with my first foot brace ordered by my surgeon. Same as you, all kind of mix ups. To the point I told them to forget it. I ordered the plastic version of what your brace will be, off eBay. Hah, it cost me less on the internet than my co-pay was going to be. I'd have had to pay $200, so glad the whole thing fell through.

LucyBee210 09-27-2012 08:34 PM

Wow ... it's a mess... I got the brace yesterday...Oh how awful this is ... Hurts like the devil. It won't fit in any of my shoes other than the expensive Easy Spirit I just bought. the bar that goes up the side juts out so that it will be impossible to wear jeans or long pants. I live in FL but going up north in November .. My shin bone is killing me .. it goes on and on .. I went back today and told the tech I need help and fast. I almost feel like asking for a refund and getting one myself since I've seen so many other models that might work better for me. Apparently this orthodic place only deals with one company that makes them. I don't have a sciatic issue any long but it's the peroneal nerve that has given me the nerve damage and drop foot. I wish you well .. keep in touch so we can compare notes from time to time.

mosesthecat 09-27-2012 09:19 PM

Still fairly new to this site and having some trouble navigating myself around, but I would like to talk to others with drop foot. I was recently diagnosed with neuropathy (March 2012) and have had diabetes for 40 years. Due to both conditions the drop foot started about a month ago. I will see a neurologist this coming Monday 10/1/12, but would like to hear from others as to what has helped them with this condition; ie sugery, brace, drugs, etc. Thank you!