It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
(male)

Everett62 HB User
Question I have had three neck procedures

Wow!! Its been a journey to say the least. First neck procedure was in October of 2008 and they placed a plate that addressed issues with C 4-5 and C 5-6. In time it was discovered that the fusion did not take. I began struggling again in 2012 and in May of 2012 two more neck procedure were done. Two plates to address C 4-5, 5-6, 6-7. There were also were two rods placed in my neck as well and they extended to my C 8. In addition there is an instrumental cage in there (wow) It was also determined that carpal Tunnel surgery needed to take place at the same time so that was done as well. You may wonder why I mentioned the Carpal Tunnel well, Prior to the 2012 surgery I had significant weakness, numbness, and tingling in my left arm (Ulnar nerve transposition in 2002) with noticeable but no reduction in the use of my right arm and right hand. I awoke from the surgery and I swear the weakness and numbness, and tingling (significant) switched arms. It was left arm/hand prior to going into surgery and awoke after the surgery to find it in my right arm/hand. The numbness, weakness, and tingling is pronounced in the right thumb to the point it is painful. My entire right hand is affected by this in one way or another. I'm not sure if this is a result of the Carpal Tunnel procedure. My surgeon stated prior to surgery that there was permanent damage to the spinal cord due to the cervical spine issues but it was unclear what damage and the significance of that damage would be until after the surgeries. I have lost most of my finger dexterity in the right hand. When asked if this issue was related to spinal cord damage my surgeon stated it was possible. He did state that this issue appears to be related to my C 6 but felt the cervical spine had been corrected. Has anyone had similar issues like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply