It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neurology Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
(male)

iCeNN HB User
Strange tongue symptoms

It all started a few months ago when I started getting these twitches all over my body. I have severe anxiety and I take medication for it. The twitches started when my anxiety worsened which was after a medication change(new med didnt work for, i eventually got back on the old med). At that time and still now I've had very bad fatigue. The twitches then spread to my face then my tongue.

Every now and then my tongue would have a tiny twitch. But here's where it gets strange. I then noticed teeth marks on the side of my tongue. Then I noticed my tongue felt like it had come forward a little bit in my mouth while resting, like it used to be farther back in my mouth. I then noticed, in my sleep, my tongue would come forward even farther in between my upper & lower teeth. I then started having a hard time speaking. My tongue started to feel enlarged and when I talked I felt like I had to exert more energy to push my tongue back for the "s" sound( I've always had a pretty big tongue that rests right behind my lower/upper teeth). My tongue just started to feel too large.

And then my jaw started feeling really fatigued every time I talked. Like a force pushing my jaw apart. Then I realized it was because of my tongue. I tried pushing my tongue a little farther in mouth when I talked and the jaw tension would immediately ease up. Now today I noticed something else. I can make the surface of my tongue twitch by really thinking about my tongue. It's weird, like I imagine really hard that my tongue is about to protrude out and I get this weird fasciculation on the surface of my tongue near the tip. Does someone have any ideas or have experienced anything similar? This is all so distressing. Any help is vastly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by iCeNN; 05-02-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Strange tongue symptoms

An enlarging tongue and fatigue are both symptoms of hypothryoidism, so I would see Dr and ask for thyroid hormone tests. I'm not sure where the twitching fits in but maybe your Dr will have an idea.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
(male)

iCeNN HB User
Re: Strange tongue symptoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
An enlarging tongue and fatigue are both symptoms of hypothryoidism, so I would see Dr and ask for thyroid hormone tests. I'm not sure where the twitching fits in but maybe your Dr will have an idea.
Thank you for replying. That's a smart guess, right on! But I have actually checked my thyroid and everything came back pretty much optimal. Has anyone here experienced problems with their tongue twitching and or feeing bigger? I'm just not sure if my tongue has always been this size or if it's anxiety, cause anxiety can make you think something has grown when it hasn't. Thank you.

Reply Reply