It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 03:18 PM   #1
(male)

youngman27 HB User
Twitch, spasm, (whatever you want to call it) behind my ear

For about 2 months now I have been experiencing what I assume to be a muscle or ligament twitch right behind my left ear. The twitch commonly takes place in about a 3 inch radius behind the ear outside of my skull.

Some days it happens more than other and some days I do not notice it much if any at all (this is rare). Generally, it comes and goes. Sometimes doing it for 3 hours in a row or an hour and then goes away. It has not gotten worse in the 2 months. If anything it was worse the first week it started.

Sometimes, although very rare, i will notice a similar feeling at a diff part of my head. But 99.9999% of the time it takes place in that one area behind the ear.

It is not painful, it is not a violent twitch, it is more annoying then anything. I would describe it as three quick thumps and a few more minutes goes by and it happens again.

I do not have a family history of diabetes, etc. I do not have any history of any major illnesses and would describe myself as a healthy young man.

I have not gone to the doctor b/c I do not have health care and like is said it isnít painful it is just annoying during the time this takes place. However, since it has gone on for about 2 months now, i am worried.

Last edited by youngman27; 05-30-2005 at 03:19 PM.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:26 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User
Re: Twitch, spasm, (whatever you want to call it) behind my ear

My gosh oh mighty! I just now came to this Healthboard, been on the vision problem, and was about to post about MY facial and temple "jumps", and I found yours, youngman27! I can empathize with you to the max! I've been having facial jumps off and on for YEARS, but over the past few weeks, the torture from the temple one in front of my left ear has worsened. I went through a period of several months last winter where I didn't have this, now it's every day for a certain period of time. It seems when I tighten my facial muscles or tense up the least bit, it keys it off! Let me laugh or smile a bit too much, and I'm in for some hell!

My g.p. wants an MRI of my brain with regard to vision changes that occur over a few weeks' time, but I want it too, for both that and these worsening spasms.

What makes mine so bad is I have sensitive hearing and have to wear ear plugs in most situations. I not only feel the jumps, but I get this booming and fluttering sound by being able to hear the mess.

I do hope yours goes away soon, YM27. Looking straight on in a mirror, that left side of my face seems to bulge out more than the right, and it feels larger on that side.
I hope we both get some relief soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 05:54 AM   #3
(female)

PerfectDay HB User

Funny you mention that I've been trying to describe my problem to people but I can't seem to explain it. It's like what you said, the position is exactly the same, mine is perhaps just a bit less frequent but the one thing that makes my problem majorly different to yours is the fact that mine lasts a few seconds and feels like something has snapped. It's sharp and painful and I am also worried as to what it is. Any ideas would be great...

Old 07-25-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
(female)

lvd HB User

hi,
i've just read your symptoms and i too am experiencing the exact same thing. have either of you gone to the doctor yet. i have had a few tests done myself. it does feel like a muscle, but it has been about two months as well. pls post if you find anything out.
thanks

Old 07-25-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Hello, lvd-
I've not been, but go on Aug. 21. I've seen him once, but all he could offer was high-powered meds. This goes into remission for a few days, then comes back--it's a pattern. I've been noticing that I also can have muscle jumps anywhere. I can have them on my legs a place will jump on an arm, elbow--it's not restricted to my face, but usually hammers me to death there, and will be more bothersome there, as my ears pick up the "boom" "thump" garbage.

Old 07-26-2005, 04:39 AM   #6
(female)

lvd HB User

hi,
thanks for your response. i'm thinking that i seem to have more similar symptons to youngman. i really just feel these spasms behind my ear but it is making me nervous. i was wondering if anyone has gone for an x ray or a ct scan or any blood work to rule certain things out.....what kind of meds did the doctor give you? were they for your muscles?

Old 07-26-2005, 07:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Mornin', lvd! The doc wanted me to try Neurontin (heard too many horror stories about that one!) Then Gabitril (probably more of same). The thing with me is I'm hypersensitive too all side effects of meds! That's a bad thing. About the only thing I can take that doesn't throw me for a loop are my lorazepam for anxiety management and Tylenlol! The meds were supposed to be to calm the nerve jumps down. He said they were "firing too fast". I still think this is a "condition" and needs a name, not just "Well, you're doing this or that, but I can't tell you what you have" sort of deal from a Dr. I'm afraid I'll get the same empty blanks to fill after I see him again, but my g.p. wanted me to, so he referred me back to him.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:14 AM   #8
(female)

lvd HB User

hi again,
i too have been prescribed lorazepam. i think it's supposed to work like a sleeping pill. i haven't heard of the others that you have mentioned. i have another appointment soon. i'll post if anything new comes up.
thanks

Old 07-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Not a prob, lvd--Hope things get better for ya' soon.

Tny

Old 07-27-2005, 02:02 PM   #10
(female)

lvd HB User

hello again,
i just wanted to let you know that i had a ct scan about a week ago and the results came back normal. so perhaps it is truly just an overactive muscle or spasm or whatever! my doctor is thinking physiotherapy. i guess i'll have to try it to see.
talk to you soon

Old 07-27-2005, 02:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Anxiety Man HB User

Howdy, lvd-
That's good that the results are normal. I'm glad he is going to try the pysiotherapy. I wish some of them here would suggest that for me instead of pills, pills, more pills! Sure hope it helps you get relief from that soon.

Yakkin' later~

Old 08-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #12
(male)

flames23 HB User

I'm glad to see I'm not alone. However, I must say I can sympathize with anyone that experiences this type of irksome twitch.

Mine is also on the back of my left ear next to my skull. I tend to get random, seemingly arbitrary twitches/spasms (albeit not painful so more of a twitch) on many parts of my body (eyelids, right above the knee, on the top of my hands, now the left outer ear) from time to time.

This one has been going for a good week now. It lasts roughly 2-3 seconds each time, but stops for maybe 5 seconds and does it again. I end up holding my ear to feel it throb and twitch and then it stops. It's the most annoying feeling in the world.

In fact, I lost some sleep dealing with it last night. I'm expecting that a doctor will simply say it's 'stress' as they have for my previous twitches which does not help me relieve it.

My occupation is very high stress, and this will not subside at any point soon, so I'm trying to figure out how to cure this affliction without taking medication.

As another pointed out, I am very susceptible to the 'adverse affects' of most medication, unless it is ibuprofen or occasionally lorazepam (for my panic attacks).

Well, if anyone finds a glint of relief, please share with the rest of us, so that this tormenting twitch can pulsate it's last breath!

Closed Thread