It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

I_love_lucy HB User
Left tricep..stabbing, ripping pain

Hello,

I'am experiencing a problem with my left arm. Pain in the tricep area..the pain is felt when reaching downward to pick up something...reaching behind my back to unfasten my bra or reaching backwards to put on my coat.

The pain is very intense..from just above my elbow to about three fourths the way up my arm...it feels like stabbing...ripping...tearing along with a shooting pain. I also feel slight pain under my arm and when I touch under there in a certain spot I also get the same exact pain in the same area of my arm (tricep).

I'm 51 and take care of a 10 month old...I have lower back problems (seeing a chiropractor and it's much better) which creates a problem in my legs, so I do sit frequently...in the same chair..always..it's the only one that will support my back. When sitting in this chair I'm holding the baby in my left arm to feed and put her to sleep...I lean on the arm of the chair alot and I also carry her in my left arm.

I noticed this happening to my arm about a week ago...started out that with certain movements it felt like someone was pinching me in the tricep area(which gave me cold chills)...just a little pinch, which progessively got worse, by 3-4 days later it was this ripping, stabbing, intense pain (after the pain my arm does feel senitive to touch in that area and slightly numb). When sleeping I really can't lay my arm straight down..it pulls and that area feel that pain..I prop a pillow under it all night.

I'm using ice (when I can) have it wrapped in an ace bandage and am taking 800 mg Ibuprofen..only once a day...I hate taking meds.

Amy thoughts on what this could be???

Last edited by I_love_lucy; 12-15-2005 at 11:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Merimac HB UserMerimac HB User
Re: Left tricep..stabbing, ripping pain

It sounds like the muscle and/or ligament has been strained. But, I have the same pain in the same area that you describe and I am slightly older and do not have grandchildren I hold in the left arm. I do however, have a history of a broken wrist and dislocated shoulder on that side from a bad fall a couple of years ago. I wrenched my upper arm when I fell backwards with my left arm under me. I was not trying to break the fall because I did not realize I was falling. Anyway. The broken wrist healed but the muscle/ligament in that arm has never completely stopped hurting and worsens with weather changes. The doctors said I pulled the ligament away from the muscle like you would pull a rubber band tight then it snapped back into place when I was lifted off the arm. Not pleasant. But, you also need to have a doctor to check you out because sometimes heart trouble shows up and feels like a pulled muscle.

Old 01-07-2006, 05:04 AM   #3
(female)

I_love_lucy HB User

I did see the doctor about a week after this all started...she said strain from holding, lifting and carrying the baby. I had a stress test...wore a heart montior for a 24 hr period...had a sonogram and thalium injection to view the heart and arteries...heart is perfectly fine.

I was experiencing dizziness, palpitations..tingling and slight numbness in my left hand...determined to be anxiety...stress...whatever you want to call it. I now take meds for that and high BP...my arm is now much better..hardly hurts at all...I did wear an ace bandage on it for about a week (she also said to keep it in a sling...yeah, right..with a baby and houseowrk??) and tried to take it easy on my arm. I still do the same things with the baby, so I don't know what really caused it..I just know it is better...I hardly notice it at all now.

Last edited by I_love_lucy; 01-07-2006 at 05:05 AM.

Old 01-18-2006, 01:39 AM   #4
(male)

Davidle1 HB User

holy macoroni! I woke up its 336 am and simple typed in tricep pain and Debbie your pain is verbatim the exact same pain that I got. Iam 29 but i have not been lifting a thing all day...all i did was throw a few punches (just started Karate) and i went to sleep and everything was fine i wake up and OUCH! i have the same thing as you...now what did you do to make it go away? ice? and ace bandage

Closed Thread