It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
(female)

AnnieinPA HB User
Essential Tremor

I'm not sure if this is the right board to post this on but I believe that it is. I suffer from anxiety but was also recently diagnosed with Essential Tremor. When I am nervous, anxious, tired or worked up my head shakes in a "no" motion and when I'm REALLY worked up my teeth chatter and my legs and hands shake as well. I understand this is a benign condition and was THRILLED that it wasn't something life threatening however I have read that it can become debilitating. Please don't respond to my post if that is what has happened to you as that will discourage me. I was hoping that anyone that has this problem and dealt with it successfully could offer some encouragement. I am only 26 and have dealt with this since I was about 16 or so and as of right now it is only situational and really not that big of a deal to me because it can be quieted by a half glass of wine (and I am rarely in a situation when I even need that). Please put my mind at ease as I am fearing the worst that over time I will be unable to perform simple tasks and that it will be a constant problem instead of just every once in awhile or while under stress. Also, have medications helped? Any bad side effects? Thanks so much!

The Following User Says Thank You to AnnieinPA For This Useful Post:
mudbug66 (06-26-2012)
Old 10-19-2006, 07:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Essential Tremor

AnnieinPa....Essential Tremor falls under the movement disorder category and no one knows for sure what causes it although some research showing a genetic link in the DNA..There's no cure for it but my thoughts are try to up the muscle neurotransmitters to see if they help any...

Gaba
L-Tyrosine
Acetyl Choline
Phosphatydl Serine

Also lots of Fish oils for Neuron Cell Membranes and good Eicosanoid production. Research these if you want and best wishes on this ......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
(female)

HoneyStrom HB User
Thumbs up Re: Essential Tremor

AnnieinPA,
I am 52, 53 in June. I have essential tremors and was diagnosed 15 years ago. I am doing fine and my symptoms are not worse than they were then. Maybe even better today. Don't worry too much. Worrying and stress, I noticed, makes me worse.

I don't take meds for the essential tremors but I do take an antidepressant. It helps.

HoneyStrom

Last edited by HoneyStrom; 03-17-2007 at 08:01 AM.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

smartgal HB User
Re: Essential Tremor

I've had essential tremor most of my life (if not all). At first it was controlled with propranolol, but that made me tired and depressed. Currently I'm taking clonopin and the neurologist just added topamax. It's more of a pain in the behind than debilatating. I don't like going out to big events where I have to take a glass or eat in front of large groups of people I don't know. It's kind of a psychological thing, you think people are watching your tremor, which just makes it worse.

There are meds to help, also the doc told me sometimes botox injections into the right muscles can help (haven't tried that one yet).

Closed Thread