It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2006, 05:51 AM   #1
(female)

oldaugie HB User
Hand/Finger weakness - muscle stiffness

Here are the symptoms I've been experiencing . I'm not entirely sure they are related but thought maybe someone would recognize somehing and be able to give me an idea. I'm going to a neurologist but not until november 8th.

I'm experiencing significant weakness in my left hand and it has been slowly progressing for a little over 6 months now. In addition to the weakness, I am unable to life my fingers individually and am limited on the range of motion of my thumb. I can fully extend or fully close my fingers by using my other hand or something inanimate to force them into the position and it does not hurt but I am unable to do it with that hand itself. I have no pain and no loss of sensation in that hand, no tingling or numbness. I do, however, have fasciculations in my left hand and forearm.

In addition over the last couple of months I've noticed that my legs are incredibly stiff when I get up from any chair if I have been sitting for longer than about 10 minutes. Once I'm moving, the pain/stiffness in my legs goes away.

Anybody got any thoughts they could share? is there something my regular doctor could test for prior to my visit to the neurologist that might be helpful?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 10-19-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Hand/Finger weakness - muscle stiffness

Oldaugie....It could be many things as only an neurologist can determine this thru proper testing i.e. EMG/NCV electrical test also MRI's of the Brain and Spine and possibly a Lumbar Puncture along with his/her gutty instincts on this so best to see the Neuro on this one......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 06:34 AM   #3
(female)

tsgkn HB User
Re: Hand/Finger weakness - muscle stiffness

hi oldaugie:

I was wondering how things are going and if you have any more information?

I read your post and it sounds exactly like what is going on with a family member of mine. We are still trying to figure things out, praying, and hoping for a miracle. To date, the neurologists are leading down a path of an ALS diagnosis.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
(female)

oldaugie HB User
Cool Re: Hand/Finger weakness - muscle stiffness

Hi - sorry for the long delay. I forgot about this forum when things got crazy. I finally (well almost) have a definitive diagnosis. Multifocal motor neuropathy. NOT ALS! Its even treatable - I meet with the Dr. on Tuesday to discuss treatment plan.

Augie

Closed Thread