It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
(male)

lbbusch HB User
ulnar nerve damage

I am a 41 year old male that began having trouble with the ulnar nerve in both my arms 7 years ago. The symptoms started as tingling and numbness in my ring and pinky finger. I have had two operations on each arm at the elbow to decompress and relocate the nerve. Both of these surgeries seemed to bring partial relief for a short time before the symptoms returned and were more painful than before. The pain level increased and included buring sensations and pain from the finger, elbow, inside of the upper arm, arm pit and even in the area of the shoulder blade. This mecame almost unbearable and 15 months ago I had additional nerve conduction testing done that revealed compression of the ulnar nerve at the wrist and Carpel tunnel. I had surgery to correct both these issues at the wrist on each arm. I have since achieved quite a bit of relief. I still have some pain in the hands but very little tingling/burning, I have weakened grip and sharp pains in both arm pits that worry me. I am currently taking 25 mg of Amitriptyline every night and am afraid of how much pain may return if I quit. Should I expect any more recovery? is there therapy that can help? and is this pain in the armpits related?

Old 02-06-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: ulnar nerve damage

sorry you have had to go thru so many surgeries just for some relief. i am just wondering since you were actually having bilateral pain/symptoms in both ulnars, did they ever actually do a c spine MRI at all even before your very first surgery in order to just rule out a possible problem up in your c spine that would give you the very same symptoms? just having a centrally located type of herniation at the c7-t1 area, whatever they were thinking when you presented with the ulnar affectation could have been c spine. your ulnar IS also your c 8 nerve in the c spine area. while you do not actually have a c 8 vertebrae,you DO have that c 8 nerve that does innervate the pinkie and one side of the ring finger too. as far as the carpal tunnel,that is actually innervated by the median nerve that passes thru that carpal tunnel and would not affect the same fingers as they ulnar.

i am just trying to understand why they jumped on that ulnar nerve reposistioning if indeed they did not actually check out your c spine with an MRI first? you did not mention having one so i am just assuming? if you have not ever had one,i do think it needs to be done at this point. "something",which could be many many possibles,is affecting nerves still,the best place to look would be at the c spine level and the upper T too. just wanted to mention this to you since you still appear to be suffering with pretty much the same things as pre op? marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread