It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
(male)

txdave35 HB User
Numbness in Left Hand - Should I be Worried?

Hey guys,

For 3 weeks now, I've dealt with on and off numbness sensations in my left hand, primarily in the left pinky and 4th finger. A week ago, the sensations were very mild, going away completely and only felt in the tips of my fingers.

Today is worst, the whole pinky has numbness sensations and the side of my hand down from the palm. My other 3 fingers and the rest of my hand feel fine.

I can't stop worrying about this problem and afraid it is a sign of an impending heart attack. A likely possiblility is that I have pinched a nerve from a recent injury. I banged my the back of my head and dealt with severe neck pain for 2 weeks. The numbness start around the same time.

I guess my question is could this be a circulation problem? Looks like the blood flow would affect the whole hand, not just a finger. Is there a particular nerve that runs up the pathway where I'm having the problem? My other hand feels fine.

I don't have health insurance, and what could a doctor do anyways? Basically tell me that I'm screwed. They can't fix numbness if it is a nerve.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
(female)

bilybowl HB User
Re: Numbness in Left Hand - Should I be Worried?

Hi, it could be a problem with your ulnar nerve.

I fainted = bumped my elbow and ended up with an ulnar nerve transportation. The entrapment I had was at the elbow and was considered severe. The nerve can also be entraped at the neck. Check with your doctor, they should be able to help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i agree,this REALLY does sound like some level of involvement to that ulnar nerve(C 8) up in your c spine area and definitely NOT cardiac related. that is a whole different type of arm/hand involvement from what you have described. this appears to be a total encompassing of that ulnar now based upon it progressing further up the hand/dermatome now. did they actually do any types of scans when you suffered that injury or did you not seek out treatment at that time?

this problem within your c spine could have already been present to a certain degree and when you took that hit,it just kind of set it off kind of thing? or you did just hit so hard it actually caused some shifting of the vertebrae up there. tho the c 8 dpoes not actually ahve its own vertbrae,anything that can impact the c 7 thru T 1 areas can also create big issue with that ulnar too just because there is alot of 'crossover" within the last two c spine vertebrae and into the top or T 1 too.

but at any rate, you just really DO need to find out what is being affected up there and how much is actually impacted right now. if this is a more constant, then something is more than likely being compressed or impinged. if this comes and goes, it could be something like a bone spur or a narrowing of one of the canals up there where the nerve just exit and enter specific areas of the spine and cord. that type of thing can be affected by just movements of your neck too.

my best advice to you would be to simply see your own primary for now and get this evaled and a referral for an MRI just to really get that inside look at whats going on up there. something is just affecting that ulnar somewhere or those particular fingers and that side of your hand would not be doing what its doing. just so you know, if this is indeed kind of progressing up the arm, you may want to just look up what are called 'dermatomes". these are the areas of innervation of the spinal nerves. look where that c 8 nerve actually innervates so you will know if this is actually hitting the spots further up that arm. there is a rather patchy type of distribution of the derms as you go up the arm to the c spine area with that ulnar. but DO obtain that MRI dave,you just really need to know what is impacting that ulnar so severely. just so you know, they CAN fix numbness if this is being compressed, but it needs to be done BEFORE that compression actually kills off the nerve. even without having ins dave, you really do need to find a way to get this MRIed. alot of places do try and work with patients when they simply have to have certain things done in this current state we are in with our economy. just see what you can find out from your primary doc. they are the ones who are really in charge of actual coordination of our care. i do wish you luck with this dave. please keep me posted. marcia

Old 07-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #4
(male)

txdave35 HB User

Thanks so much for the replies and info.

I went to see my family doc yesterday, and we've pretty much ruled out a circulation problem. He said my pulse was strong in my wrist which is a good sign.

Unfortunately, it appears that I have all the signs of cubital tunnel syndrome. Last week, I started getting pain in my elbow as well like someone was hitting right on my funny bone. I talked to him about the neck problem, and we did some neck xrays. No signs of a disc problem, although as you mentioned, only a MRI could tell me for sure.

Today is my first day back to work in 3 days, and I'm already getting elbow pain after 30 minutes on the computer. I am pretty much in that "why me" state of mind. I'm dealing with a problem is painful, might get worse, or even result in the loss of my hand.

My plan is to tough this out and hope that it gets better in the next two months. I'll finally have state health insurance in October so if my freaking body would just hold out till then.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
(male)

delphi6 HB User
ulnar nerve entrapment

it looks like my ulnar nerve is trapped at elbow i am having a emg to check nerve and may need a operation as all this will take about 3 or 4 months is my condition likely to get worse if so is it worth me going private and paying for it i t england uk

Closed Thread