It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 03:07 AM   #1
(female)

suewild44 HB User
Question about EMG test

When I was having the needle EMG it was very painful, not the actual needle. I didn't feel the needle go in until it went into the muscle, started moving it around and having to move the joints etc.
Did others find it very painful when the needle was moving around in the muscle as i found it extremely painful in some parts?

Last edited by suewild44; 08-05-2009 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Found question too long

Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
(female)

toeoff HB User
Re: I had the EMG test today and I was very sore after

I was very sore during my EMG too -- felt like a pin cushion, actually. The initial needle ***** didn't hurt much, but when a muscle had to be flexed, I couldn't do it and it seemed that it was due to the pain which I tried to override but couldn't. The muscles just didn't work well if at all. There were several spots that gave me some trouble and seemed particularly weak and pain sensitive. The areas that were poked but didn't hurt, also didn't hurt much to flex.

Last edited by toeoff; 09-11-2009 at 10:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2009, 02:02 AM   #3
(female)

suewild44 HB User

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
I was told that i have very painful muscles generally and I got told that day I had my EMG test that I do have something wrong with my muscles but he wouldn't say as he has to complete the measuring etc of the tests. I find out what is wrong with me on Wed 23rd Sept I will update you if you want me too.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
(female)

toeoff HB User

I would be curious what they say. I hope you get definitive answers and good news.

I ended up having a series of blood tests after the EMG to rule out forms of muscular dystrophy and other genetic problems that cause myopathies. I also ended up having a muscle biopsy (July 10, 2009) where four muscle fibers were taken from my leg. They're now doing tests on the fibers, one by one (since these tests are expensive), and these tests are giving answers. All along the way, the doctor's seem quite reserved about saying anything hinting at diagnosis until test results come in. They are willing discuss what the test results mean, but not what the final diagnosis could be, nor what my future may look like.

This process is taking a lot longer than I'd like but I understand this is pretty typical.

Old 09-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
(female)

suewild44 HB User

Hi
I hope i don't have the biopsy. Next Wed 23rd Sept i get to know results from a genetic blood test, other blood tests, MRI and the two EMG tests. I know that there is definately something wrong with my muscles but don't know what, I know my neurologist was testing for Muscular Dystrophy.
I had a bad night with muscle pain in my legs and it is still painful this morning not good when i am at work. Down some more painkillers again.
I would be interested to finding out what your results say in due course and I will let you know my results next week.
Have a good week!

Old 09-23-2011, 03:51 AM   #6
(female)

suewild44 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toeoff View Post
I would be curious what they say. I hope you get definitive answers and good news.

I ended up having a series of blood tests after the EMG to rule out forms of muscular dystrophy and other genetic problems that cause myopathies. I also ended up having a muscle biopsy (July 10, 2009) where four muscle fibers were taken from my leg. They're now doing tests on the fibers, one by one (since these tests are expensive), and these tests are giving answers. All along the way, the doctor's seem quite reserved about saying anything hinting at diagnosis until test results come in. They are willing discuss what the test results mean, but not what the final diagnosis could be, nor what my future may look like.

This process is taking a lot longer than I'd like but I understand this is pretty typical.
Hi
I am sorry that you are going through the nasty tests. I do hope that part is finished and they can give you a diagnosis so you can deal with it. Not knowing is worse than knowing. My disorder Interstitial Myositis is deliberating but can cope with it most of the time although frustrating and painful I can still do certain things and I try not to think negative.
Keep in touch as I would be very interested in what your results end up.
Thinking of you at this time
Sue

Old 09-23-2011, 03:54 AM   #7
(female)

suewild44 HB User

Has your doctor tried to test you for Interstitial Myositis? It sounds very similar to me and it is a rare disorder and he/she might not have thought of it.
Let me know how you go
Sue

Old 09-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
(female)

toeoff HB User

I was diagnosed with mitochondrial myopathy, which is very rare. It's lumped in with the Muscular Dystrophies but isn't an MD itself.

I've been wearing toe off leg braces for about a year now and it's been extremely helpful. If I don't wear them, I need to use forearm crutches or risk falling down. It took some getting used to. The biggest hurdle was my own perception of what leg braces meant -- acknowledgement of disability. Despite the fact that it would make me more able, I was resisting the idea.

I've lost some sensation and muscle control below the knees. Reflexes in knees, elbows and wrists are quite weak now. I can still play the piano, but not the advanced works I used to be able to pound out. My heart seems to be strong, and my mind is still intact, so I'm moving forward with life.

I had to stop worrying about how this could stop me from living or just what my future might look like, or what my actual diagnosis was. The worry was driving me nuts and stopping me from just doing what I need to do to be happy or keep my family happy. What needs to be done takes more effort than it used to, and I need help, but I'll do what I can while I can still do it.

I'm doing yoga on a very beginning level and that seems to help with endurance and muscle tension, so I'll continue with that.

My best to you, Sue. I hope you are well.

Christine (aka "toeoff")

Quote:
Originally Posted by suewild44 View Post
Has your doctor tried to test you for Interstitial Myositis? It sounds very similar to me and it is a rare disorder and he/she might not have thought of it.
Let me know how you go
Sue

Old 09-27-2011, 01:18 AM   #9
(female)

suewild44 HB User

Hi Christine
Thanks for your reply
I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis but as I had to learn is we have a disability so no point worrying about it just get on with life as long as you are able. I am using a mobility scooter to get around and go to meetings with work and shopping etc when I am by myself, when I have my husband with me he pushes me in my wheelchair. I don't worry about what people say anymore esp when I am in my scooter, just because I am 46 I should not have people looking down and giving scathing looks from some of the elderly folk but they do. I used to get upset about it but not now as they don't know my situation. Please keep a positive attitude you are not alone. Keep in touch Christine
Regards
Sue

Closed Thread