It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
(female)

StacieinTX HB User
Concerns about my 14 yo daughter

My daughter, a Freshman in HS, has been having leg pain for about 2 months now. I didn't realize how bad until she finally started complaining. I thought her occasional limp was related to her flat feet. (She has always had feet problems when we try to exercise walk). Some days are worse than others, and it gets worse the more she walks. But it isn't just bad after walking, it can also be awful in the morning. Her feet do not hurt now, ironically. We haven't gone walking for exercise since July, and we tried to start back again this week, but she had to go slow and started to limp. We quit after 15 minutes, poor baby.

I took her to the Dr. yesterday. After a workup, the Dr. feels her pain is consistent with L4 nerve root irritation. X-rays revealed no reason for the pain. She is not athletic, doesn't participate in physical activities, and in fact isn't even in PE this year. She has had no injuries. It was totally random. I am, of course, hoping it goes away. In the meantime, we are due for more testing, including an EMG and nerve conduction tests. Oh boy...I just read about these and they do NOT sound pleasant!

Have any of you undergone these tests? What should we expect and should I prepare her (my friends say not to tell her anything about them)? And have any of you experienced anything like what she has gone through or had children who suffered with it? It seems unusual for such a young person to deal with neuropathy.

Thank you for your time. I am trying not to worry, but she has also recently had tremors in her right hand which we are thinking may be anxiety-related. The doctor is aware of this as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
(female)

StacieinTX HB User
Re: Concerns about my 14 yo daughter

Thank you for your response. That is what I was thinking. And sorry guys, but I could have sworn that I posted this on the neuropathy board! Can I repost there or should I move this post? Or do you think they moved it here? I don't know where this fits.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
(female)

debkat HB User

Hi Stacie, have the Drs. mentioned RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy) to you in regard to your daughters pain? It is a neurological chronic pain condition that alot of Drs don't even know much about. Google it and you'll find lots of info on it and you can see if the symptoms line up with what your daughter is feeling.

My 13 yr. old daughter has had RSD for 2 1/2 yrs now. I hope this isn't what your daughter has but it's worth looking into because early treatment is very important and since alot of drs don't know much about it, it's difficult for them to diagnose.

I hope you get some answers real soon. It's so difficult to see our children suffer!

God Bless,

Debbie

Old 02-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User

Hey there,

This is in response to the EMG and nerve conduction tests. I know we are all different, but the tests to me were not painful at all, most of the time I didn't even feel it when they stuck the needle in or when they "zapped" me. Don't worry to much about it, just hope that you get some positive results (I didn't :-( )

P

Old 02-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
(female)

Jayhawk9 HB User

Your daughter's symptoms seem a lot like mine. I try to take my dog for a walk and within 500 feet my leg will hurt. Then I stop and it will get better and then when I continue it gets bad again. Mine is in my lower leg just to the outside of the shin bone. I know its not shin splints. I have had the EMG done and its really not horrible. More jarring than anything else. Kinda like getting your eyebrows waxed and they pull the paper off. Not terribly painful but not comfortable either. One thing you should have them check is her CPK level. This is a blood test they can do to determine if she is having muscle damage. Normal is up to 199 and mine was 330 last time. I have seen people on this site with this number in the thousands. From what I can tell the higher the number the worse your condition is. With all this being said, I still don't know what is wrong with me. I would have to go to Dallas to find out and then they can't do anything about it. I may decide to go down there just to figure it out for my kids sake. They need to know what their genetics are all about.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread