It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 05:00 AM   #1
(female)

LenaGoth HB User
Smile Left corner of mouth paralysis, weak muscle anterior neck

I attempted to do some facial muscle exercises because I noticed a change in my neck (throat) contoure that increased with time (6 months). The left side has a slight swelling to it underneath the chin (silly me was thinking it was getting fat one one side of the neck, hmmmm?) As I do these ugly faces and tensing of the front neck muscles I notice that the muscle doesn't move on that same side of the neck all the way down to my collarbone. I also notice the swelling I mention then protrudes below my chin (There is no hard lymphnode, just swelling of the tissue).

I also notice that the left corner of my mouth is unable to move at all if I intend to pull it left/ down. It does move, up if I smile. It appears totally paralyzed. Lately an itch has developed where the swelling is, it's not warm to the touch but feels warm inside. As I look back there are photos my family has taken where I see that I smile crooked, and when I look down slightly the swelling on the neck is very obvious. Last x-mas there was nothing like that there, and I had the same weight as now. I realise this has been going on for a while since I have noticed this change in contorur of my neck progress for the past 6 months.

I'm considering a few possible reasons: I have CFS- which can cause permanent nerve damage. My cervical neck has been a pain in the rear thru the years, as well as the rest of my spine. Another possibility is the (what I think it was) the TIA I had about a year ago, lasted for about half an hour. During this one I experienced extreme weakness on the right side, spinning, and nausea (the sudden weakness made me crawl on my four since I was unable to stand up. As I sit here and write I scratch my itch every now and then, nothing visible on skin.

I'm not too excited about going to any doctor, I've become "allergic" to them, probably because of my CFS that is still stigmatized by many doctors. Many years have passed and I ran into many who treated me as if it was all in my head and I just had to get off my bum (never mind that I once was a proffessional cyclist and worked 2 jobs since my teen years til I got ill,,,lol!) My teeth are in perfect shape, so it's not from any dental problems.

Thank you for your time!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
(female)

MUSTANGRITA HB User
Re: Left corner of mouth paralysis, weak muscle anterior neck

I totally understand the allergy!!! It is very frustrated when docs diagnose prior to even entering the room. Sounds like a neurologist would be a good start. Do you have teaching or place that doctors work as a team to diagnose? Sometimes when the put their heads together and discuss between them the patient will benefit.

Closed Thread