It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
(female)

answersplease HB User
Possibly Hypermobile Cervical or Lumbar Joint? Thoughts?

Over the past few weeks I've been having some pretty confusing symptoms and I still don't have a diagnosis for what's going on with me. Although I don't know if it's the cause of all this, I had a chiropractic adjustment on Tues 4/27/10 --the chiropractor did a strange manipulation of my upper cervical by having her 'intern' pull on my legs while she flexed my neck quickly to one side. Soon after that, I began having blurry vision, which subsided after a while to be replaced by dizziness when moving my head (both while laying down or sitting/standing/walking) - NOT spinning, just strange movements in my vision). Then the dizziness passed and I was left with an abnormal gait, swaying when I walk. My hips especially feel hypermobile, like they move and rotate way too easily. My neck also feels hypermobile, very easy to move. I do not have any pain except for ocassional tension in the neck, usually upon laying down so that the base of my skull touches a pillow (that's when there is pain), but not really otherwise. From time to time my arm gets numb and my fingers swollen.

MRI of head & neck looks fine.
X-ray of cervical spine looks fine.

But for some reason i feel like I can't control my body, like my hips sway too much when I walk, and that I'm generally unstable.
Neurologists (I've seen many) don't think there is anything neurologically wrong with me. A psychiatrist (spine doctor) didn't see any structural instabilities (but he just looked at my scans & glanced at my spine without touching me).

OH also, in the middle of all this, I went back to the chiropractor because she said she could fix the problem and she ended up doing some other neck manipulation, back manipulation, and a LUMBAR ADJUSTMENT.

It's been 2 weeks of this unsteady walking problem and it's gotten worse. Now when I'm in bed and I move my legs I feel like my whole body is moving out of control. It's unsettling.

My question is - if it's related to the spine/vertebrae and some sort of ligament tear/weakness or other instability - is it stemming from the HIPS or the NECK? How can I differentiate?

And why no pain?

A physical therapist suggested it was my alar ligament (that connects the skull and the back of the C2 vertebrae) that was stretched...

anyone else going through something similar?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
(female)

Conceptual HB User
Re: Possibly Hypermobile Cervical or Lumbar Joint? Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by answersplease View Post
Over the past few weeks I've been having some pretty confusing symptoms and I still don't have a diagnosis for what's going on with me. Although I don't know if it's the cause of all this, I had a chiropractic adjustment on Tues 4/27/10 --the chiropractor did a strange manipulation of my upper cervical by having her 'intern' pull on my legs while she flexed my neck quickly to one side. Soon after that, I began having blurry vision, which subsided after a while to be replaced by dizziness when moving my head (both while laying down or sitting/standing/walking) - NOT spinning, just strange movements in my vision). Then the dizziness passed and I was left with an abnormal gait, swaying when I walk. My hips especially feel hypermobile, like they move and rotate way too easily. My neck also feels hypermobile, very easy to move. I do not have any pain except for ocassional tension in the neck, usually upon laying down so that the base of my skull touches a pillow (that's when there is pain), but not really otherwise. From time to time my arm gets numb and my fingers swollen.

MRI of head & neck looks fine.
X-ray of cervical spine looks fine.

But for some reason i feel like I can't control my body, like my hips sway too much when I walk, and that I'm generally unstable.
Neurologists (I've seen many) don't think there is anything neurologically wrong with me. A psychiatrist (spine doctor) didn't see any structural instabilities (but he just looked at my scans & glanced at my spine without touching me).

OH also, in the middle of all this, I went back to the chiropractor because she said she could fix the problem and she ended up doing some other neck manipulation, back manipulation, and a LUMBAR ADJUSTMENT.

It's been 2 weeks of this unsteady walking problem and it's gotten worse. Now when I'm in bed and I move my legs I feel like my whole body is moving out of control. It's unsettling.

My question is - if it's related to the spine/vertebrae and some sort of ligament tear/weakness or other instability - is it stemming from the HIPS or the NECK? How can I differentiate?

And why no pain?

A physical therapist suggested it was my alar ligament (that connects the skull and the back of the C2 vertebrae) that was stretched...

anyone else going through something similar?
When there is such a core manipulation, it is bound that the repositioning is going to bring such confusing reactions, your body is changing its positioning/realignment. Just accept it with knowing there is bound to be changes, this is I presume why you are having treatment...it does not give you pain, only the confusion and the change of the position of your body in regards to its environment-the proprioceptors are getting adapted to the new position.
Go have an integrative massage, otherwise called stractural integration, which integrates the different sections of the body where they have gone out of alignment. They give you 10 sessions, which integrate the different segments of the structure of the body where in time they have lost their interactive function. Look under Structural Integration or Ida Rolf, or Body Alignment.

Last edited by Conceptual; 06-13-2010 at 02:01 AM.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
(female)

Conceptual HB User
Re: Possibly Hypermobile Cervical or Lumbar Joint? Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conceptual View Post
When there is such a core manipulation, it is bound that the repositioning is going to bring such confusing reactions, your body is changing its positioning/realignment. Just accept it with knowing there is bound to be changes, this is I presume why you are having treatment...it does not give you pain, only the confusion and the change of the position of your body in regards to its environment-the proprioceptors are getting adapted to the new position.
Go have an integrative massage, otherwise called stractural integration, which integrates the different sections of the body where they have gone out of alignment. They give you 10 sessions, which integrate the different segments of the structure of the body where in time they have lost their interactive function. Look under Structural Integration or Ida Rolf, or Body Alignment.

Closed Thread