It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2002, 11:32 AM   #1
Inactive

dudeman HB User
Thumbs down Severe Butt pain!!! help!

Hi, first time poster.

I have been having sever pain in my butt check areas for the past 6 months... I started at this summer job I had in july, I would be sitting at my desk for long periods of time and after awhile.. My butt would start feeling very sore and painful when i was sitting so I would have to get up and walk around... I hoped that it would go away after a while but its been very long time and hasnt go much better... It seems to happen when I am sitting on hard surfaces after like 15-20 min of sitting... making bus rides and stuff very uncomfatable.. but it also happens on nice chairs and stuff as well... Im basically clueless.
I talked to a doctor and he said that maybe it was pinched nerve or a some kind of nerve injury.. and gave me ibuprofen.... didnt help much at all...

any ideas?
thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to dudeman For This Useful Post:
1staircav (04-26-2012)
Old 01-12-2003, 10:49 PM   #2

mrsash36yrs HB User
Hi, I just want to try to help you out. I have the same problem. Mine is caused from the muscles in the butt that come up from your legs. Your lower back probably hurts too but the butt is worse. At least it is with me, One pain can be dominated by a worse one easily. Well, i am on Zanaflex and Neurotin, i have Dystonia and Epilepsy. Also, most symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis. I still must use cushions to sit on . Not the new expensive ones even those $300.oo ones hurt.The problem is the muscles are drawing up extremly tight. A good help is to streath them out before work , on breaks and lunch. Also i had to take Calcium three times a day. It works best taken with milk or juice or a hot drink like tea. Magniesium and Potassium are very important to relax muscles. I say this because pills do not 'fix' the problem for me. But these all help me very much. Everyone is different. So, you must do as a dr tells you to. I have Dystonia and Epilepsy, and possibel MS. The Advil is really important if taken with all these other things.......because, the pain is increased with inflamation. This is all the way it is with me, anyway. I pray you have or will have your comfort soon. Ps..one thing that helps me at the computer is i place a simi hard pillow down but moved forward just enough that my tail bone is suspended. A special pillow can be bought for hemroid problems..and it works great. It take pressure off of the tender spots. Well, God Bless as you need, amen, hugs

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2003, 09:51 AM   #3
Inactive

dudeman HB User
hi, you are right, i have alot of back pain recently too (long term as well).. I went and got some electroshock therapy something on my butt area and it seems to get better (along with some novacine type of thing injected in my butt) but now the pain has gone down sometimes to my back of my thighs. I have been doing alot of stretching lately on my back and it seems to be getting alittle better.
Another doctor recommended Ibuprofen, which seems to help alittle.
when i sit on the toliet to use the bathroom, all my pain seems to dissapear. its quite strange!

plz let me know whatcha think and thanks!

p.s. i dont have any other major dieases or anything other than that pain. and the doc told me that improving my posture is very important as well. I have a tendency to slouch alot.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-03-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Old 02-01-2003, 08:43 PM   #4
Veteran

Angelene HB User
Please look up info on these boards on Piriformis syndrom and sciatica...

I have Piriformis and am also looking into different treatments. There are great stretches you can do, chiropractors you can look into, and other forms of pain management.

good luck!

------------------
"Never give up, never surrender!"

Last edited by Administrator; 01-03-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Old 04-02-2003, 12:04 PM   #5

Prabhav HB User
Thumbs up

Hi,

I used to have problems on my butts and on my back and hip areas too. I tried everything it didn't help much.
There were three things that helped me most.
1. Celebrex. But the pain started coming back.
2. Myotherapy. Learn about this therapy, it does work.
3. Calcium supplement. In particular I tried Coral Calcium (won't give the brand name), & it has helped me tremendously. I hardly have any pain now. You can see my other postings, to know the particulars of my pain.
Hope that helps.

Old 05-08-2003, 12:37 PM   #6

Delmen HB User
I had a severe case of piriformis syndrome that lasted 1 1/2 years. I went to a chiropractor, had 2 courses of physical therapy, ultrasound, iontophoresis, massage therpay, muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories. It is finally gone and it was solved by something incredibly simple. Orthodtics. I bought a pair of Dr. Scholl's orthodics at the pharmacy and within a month, the pain was gone. Somehow it realigned my hip so the pressure was taken off my sciatic nerve and the constant inflammation was finally able to heal. I still do the stretches that I learned in PT and I pay attention to any indication of discomfort in that area so I can modify my exercise routine.

If you have tried everything else for PS, then get some orthotics and try them out. I was ready to ask my doctor for a cortisone shot or to cut the muscle in order to get relief. Luckily, I didn't have to go that route. Good Luck in being pain free.

The Following User Says Thank You to Delmen For This Useful Post:
Judy Garland (03-06-2012)
Old 07-11-2003, 06:08 AM   #7
(male)

Oww! HB User
Nerve problems are a %$#@*! Anyway whenever I get a strong pain attack, I just cram 5 or 6 Ibuprofen down my throat and it helps alot plus there are perscription drugs that can lower your average pain or even make you more pain tolerant but I say you sometimes need pain to tell you if you are doing something wrong and aggrivating your injury.

The Following User Says Thank You to Oww! For This Useful Post:
shazia shafqat (11-12-2012)
Old 07-18-2003, 12:54 PM   #8

Mystery_00 HB User
Angry

i have the same thing...started in march,running on the treadmill. here it is july and i'm 5 1/2 mnts pregnant and STILL have the pain!

i use arnica gel, which seems to help. my spasms are so bad that i cant even move. and the pain changes..from my left hip to my left butt cheek. usually just intense pain, left leg shorter than the other. so i walk with a limp...i hate it.

going to doc on monday...try to get some ultrasound done to see if it will help. man, sometimes i wonder if i will EVER feel 'normal' again!!!

Old 11-29-2003, 09:05 AM   #9

p25416 HB User
Re: Severe Butt pain!!! help!

Guys,

2 years ago (age 41) I had a horrible time sitting, but no other problems. It got to where I could only sit for about 15 min before I started to get pain like I had been sitting for hours. I got one of the soft cushions, changed my workout, did stretches and saw my doctor.

He did a bone scan and full physical and found nothing. I was miserable and looked like an idiot carrying this cushion around. I even dreaded my commute home because I had to sit for 25 min! It wasn't specifically like a tail bone problem or pain down the legs, it was just like that uncomfortable pain you get when you sit too long, I just had it really fast.

I came to this site and read and read. With no other options, I got orthodics - no improvement. I changed my stretching and specifically did a stretch for my hammies - 5-10% improvement. Started taking supplimental calcium - 90-95% improvement! Yea Baby! I even got rid of the cushion!

My Doc was surprised and I was shocked but I am 100% better and feel great. Incidently, I drink milk and eat yogurt so you would think that my calcium level is just fine. In fact, my blood test indicates that my calcium level is just fine. PS, this is regular old Walgreens calcium by the way. In any case, calcium is exchanged between your blood and bones all the time. You can show it ok in your blood and still not have enough in your bones. Doc says that 500-1500 mg per day is fine, however above that is too much and you will get build up in areas that you don't want it. One other point - I forgot to take it for about a week and noticed some pain when sitting, so I believe (for me) that this was the issue. Hope this helps someone else - Good luck.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to p25416 For This Useful Post:
Green2011 (09-04-2011)
Old 12-04-2005, 07:55 AM   #10
(female)

helpme! HB User

Hi. I also have severe butt pain. I have had this for about a year. I cannot sit comfortably for more than a couple of minutes. I can't drive anymore because it hurts too much. I have pain in my butt (on one side) when I sit, but I also have pain going all down the back on my leg and through my calf. I have numbness in 3 of my toes when I sit too long. I also have pain in my back when I sit. Every once in a while I wake up in the middle of the night with a cramp in my calf that has no explainable cause. I used to run, but I can't really run anymore because I have too much pain in my leg. Does anyone else find that they get unexplained leg cramps with this condition? Does anyone have numbness in their feet or toes?

I have seen a nuerologist, a muscle-skeletal doctor, a sports medicine doctor, had a complete physical (the doc said I couldn't be more healthy based on the physical), had an X-ray to ensure I don't have a bone tumor, and had an MRI of my back to ensure that my problem isn't stemming from a disc problem. I have tried Ibuprofen and it doesn't help at all even at elevated dosage. I have been in physical therapy for about a month and a half, but that hasn't seemed to help even though I have been diligent about my exercises. My doctor tells me to sit with a towel behind the small of my back and have my knees bent at a 90 degree angle with my feet rested on the floor when I sit. I know this is good for my posture, but sitting this way causes much more pain than sitting with my legs dangling at less than a 90 degree angle. Has anyone had this problem? I try to sit like he tells me too, but I can only stand the pain for a couple of minutes.

I have already gotten several ideas from this forum (orthotics. more calcium even though my calcium levels are in the healthy range, sitting cushion, ect). Does anyone have any more insight? Has anyone found good remedies for unexplained cramps or numbness?

Please help if you can!
Thanks.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:48 AM   #11
(male)

svanhart HB User

Hello fellow butt-pain sufferers,
I've been dealing with pain for the last 9 years, instigated from sitting for long periods in a hard, contoured chair in jeans. The large wad of fabric in the bottom corner of the jean pocket acted like a marble and irritated my booty intensely. I started standing instead, but the pain was there nearly 24/7. I tried: Ibuprofen, ultrasound, stretches, acupuncture, steriods(oral), steroids (antiinflammatory injection), chiropractor, heat, cold, bone scans-nothing, x-rays - nothing, orthodics, as well as a thousand other things. The pain still plagues me. All the doctors (about 10) were clueless. I can't believe this is such a mystery. I have been tempted to sever the nerves, but that ain't gonna happen. Anyway, I need some guidance. Thanks... -s

The Following User Says Thank You to svanhart For This Useful Post:
dkarleen (10-16-2012)
Old 12-30-2006, 10:42 AM   #12
(female)

healthnut HB User

Try going to a chiropractor. That's what I did. He put the electrodes on my sore glute muscles each time for 15 minutes, then adjusted my lower back (disc 4 and 5) were slightly out of center. It felt wonderful. I went about 12 times (3 days a week for about 4 weeks). My problem was taken care of.

The Following User Says Thank You to healthnut For This Useful Post:
shazia shafqat (11-13-2012)
Old 01-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
(female)

OleMiss21 HB User

Hi. I'm new to the boards.

I do realize that I am posting to a message board that hasn't had a post in a while. I am 21 now and started having pain when I was in high school. Mine is in my lower back and severe pain in my right butt cheek. I used to fell like I was going to fall over when I bent down a certain way. Now, I am experiencing pain when I stand for a long period of time. I always have leg cramps EXTREMELY bad, usually after standing for long periods of time. My Toes go numb and start tingling at random times. I am not sure where to start with this problem. I feel like I need to go to the doctor,but by reading your post it doesn't seem like the doctor helps much.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #14
(female)

Fun First HB User

My daughter is 21 as well and in really bad pain for over 15 months. We have tried every modality. I am flying her to LA to see Dr. Aaron Filler. I believe she may have piriformis syndrome. He has technology that can tell us what it is. I am sorry you are in pain, it is an awfull thing to be so young and not be able to sit. Hope you get some help, and do not let it go too long.

My daughter was very active and now she can only lay down. No sitting, so our flight to LAX should be very interesting.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-14-2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 11-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #15
(female)

curiousk HB User

Orthotics are inserts in your shoe(s) that help realign your stance if it is off balance. This type of problem can throw out all the muscles and bones from toes to head, and can be the cause of major foot, knee, hip, posture, muscle alignment(s) pain.
Do your shoes wear down on one side more than the other? That's a goood indication you may have some problems there...or, are you flat footed? That, too can cause so much pain and misalignment of the body. Now, orthotics can cost a fortune! Orthopedists can fit you for them, but I would prefer to have it done by and Orthopod who works with sports injuries; not sure if that is the correct name for them.

Best of luck to you in your quest for healing!
curiousk

Closed Thread