HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Neuromuscular Diseases (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/neuromuscular-diseases/)
-   -   Mysterious hand issues for about 2 1/2 years (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/neuromuscular-diseases/872866-mysterious-hand-issues-about-2-1-2-years.html)

wolfbiker 10-09-2011 11:46 AM

Mysterious hand issues for about 2 1/2 years

Hello,

i have some very mysterious problems with my left hand during the last 2 1/2 years. It begans with some pain after playing the guitar. Everyone said "maybe you have an overloaded sinew".
Then i rested from guitar for about 1 month. In addition to this i got one of those wrist splints + lots of disinflammatory salves.

I've got MRT / NCV / ultrasonic / lots of X-rays / ...

All of them seemed to be okay except of two things:

1) my ulna is a bit shorter than my radius (ulna minus variance)
2) my carpal tunnel isn't as big as it should (or could) be (according to ultrasonic) but NCV is alright

I've got also physiotherapy and a radiation therapy (worst decision ever..).

Now the interesting point: "Hard work" like gardening, filing, weight training and all that "hand work" stuff works perfectly.
Example: I make an apprenticeship as an industrial mechanic. These kind of work seems very good for my hand. (Means: I get no or less issues from it)

BUT: Fine motor skills are very bad for my hand.

When i take up the guitar and play very easy things for about 5 minutes everyday i get those ******* weird feeling back despite of a longer time of physical rest.
I get sharp, tingling, blazing pain in my carpus / thumb. This feeling is radiating to ellbow and shoulder by time. It's more like a "passive" pain. It cames mostly when the strain is over. But then it remains.

The same thing fits to piano, tastatur, ...

What could it be? Of course, i'm glad that i can do my job but i want to play guitar as i play guitar before march 2009 - without pain.
Nothing seems to make it better...

Regards

Yeah and sorry for my weak language skills. This isn't my native language :wave:

oscarsinisterra 11-29-2011 07:21 PM

Re: Mysterious hand issues for about 2 1/2 years

this is my case, maybe there is something in common.
My right hand index and middle fingers are getting more and more difficult to control. When playing the guitar if I use the middle and ring finger, it works well, not optimum, but the index and middle together are a constant challenge. My right hand is quite shaky. Went to the doctor, he thought it was a trigger finger (my middle) and performed a surgery that did nothing! Again, I feel it is getting worse with time. I have to warm playing for a good while before I can start on a piece. Is this nervous related? muscle related?

wolfbiker 12-03-2011 11:47 AM

Re: Mysterious hand issues for about 2 1/2 years

Hey dude,

glad to hear that i'm not the only one with such problems. (well of course it would be better if there were no problems / challenges at all :dizzy:)

How long have you had this pain? Did you get an MRT or a CT?

I'm going to a neurologist on december 22th again. Well, we will see what he has to tell me then.

Get well soon
Regards