It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
(female)

AddisMom HB User
Something Similar to Wry Neck?

I've had these problems going on since April and have yet to figure out whats going out. This all started with a weird pinching sensation going on in the middle of my upper arm that within days lead to major pain and numbness going down into my fingers. I then started having a weird feeling in throat when swallowing and would notice that my entire SCM muscle on the same side as my arm hurting would stick out of my neck the entire length of it. I started having major anxiety that something might be badly wrong and went to dr countless times and was sent to an ENT and then even changed to a new doctor that i know personally. I've had xrays, swallow tests and blood work to rule out thyroid problem as well as an ultrasound on my thyroid that came back perfect.

Over the months my symptoms have changed somewhat. After going to 5 sessions with a massage therapist(recommended by drs) i was noticing that paticular muscle wasn't sticking out as much and right before starting the massages i was getting major pain in my ear on that side and i would wake up with my jaw locked and hear cracking when i would open my mouth. Even sometimes when i would swallow it was as if something in thr front of my neck or throat was clicking. The massages helped my arm pain almost completely go away but i still get this dull ache in my bicep muscle every now and then. Its been weeks since i had the last massage and the muscle has already started sticking out again and the pain in my jaw and ear has returned. Anytime i search my symptoms on the internet it comes up with "wry neck" which is what my massage therapist mentioned but i have no problem turning my head either direction its just a little tighter when i turn it to the left. Also when rubbing my neck the SCM muscle on the left(side that sticks out) feels so much bigger on that side and especially where it enters near the jaw it feels enlarged and very sore. Ive been obsessed all these months feeling my neck for anything that jumps out as abnormal and i never feel anything except for muscle and every dr appt they say they feel no enlarged nodes or glands and it feels to them like that muscle feels swollen/enlarged compared to the other side.
Anyone had any experience in this? I feel like this muscle being messed up is what is causing all the other problems i have such as the ear and jaw and tmj type symptoms but how do i make that muscle relax?
**Last thing when i flex my neck(try to make muscles stick out around neck) my neck side cannot move at all, its like the left side of my neck is so tight or something?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Something Similar to Wry Neck?

May I suggest you post this info on the TMJ board for Temporo-Mandibular Joint disorders. We had someone come to the Spinal Cord Disorders board to warn us that sometimes what seems like a neck/spine issue may actually be TMJ. What you describe reminds me of what she wrote.

I would ask them and see what they say....maybe you need a dentist and not a doctor.

Last edited by jennybyc; 10-14-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Closed Thread