It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
(male)

InTheVoid HB User
Loss of Motor Neurons

Hi all, I have a suspected diagnosis of spinal muscular atrophy. I became weak about a year ago and I have a family history of it. Of course I will check with my doctor about this question but I can't see him for a month, so I thought I'd check in here.

I was wondering if anybody knows that sort of ratcheting motion with their weak muscles? When I bend my knees you can see them shake, also when I lower and raise my head it's noticeable.

Could this motion be caused my muscles being deconditioned, or is it indicative of nerve supply loss?

I theorized that this is due to fewer lower motor neurons supplying the muscles, resulting in fewer but larger motor units as nearby nerves reinnervate fibers from lost neurons to a certain capacity, resulting in a decreased ability to vary muscle force in small increments. What do you think?

Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
(male)

InTheVoid HB User
Re: Loss of Motor Neurons

Really!? 430 views, and not a single reply? Nobody has any insight, no ideas? I'm just looking for a little support! Is this the forum for catatonia?! I"m done here. F*** this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
(male)

InTheVoid HB User

I would like to apologize for my previous post. It was rash and unjustified. I've been going though a lot lately and my emotions got a hold of me that night. I welcome any input, thanks.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:08 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

I am sorry you are facing this. Your question is very complex. I doubt that we really know the answer to it. Your theory sounds logical though. My son has a neurological disorder and his head jerks a bit when he moves his neck. It does seem to be an irregularity of the signal, but in the whole scheme of his illness, it is just another thing he can do nothing about. Write again, don't give up on us. The weekend can often be really slow. Sera

The Following User Says Thank You to Seraph For This Useful Post:
InTheVoid (05-23-2012)
Closed Thread