It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
(female)

wllwrt4fd HB User
Possible Piriformis Syndrome

I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with a case of piriformis syndrome where it caused sciatica, numbness, but not a whole lot of pain. Actually, the only time it really feels painful is in my right leg during long car rides. That's when it hurts the most. I have numbness from my thighs down to my feet. Has anyone experienced this with piriformis syndrome? Predominately, numbness and nothing else.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Red face Re: Possible Piriformis Syndrome

Ii usually post on the back board where we talk about piriformis issues from time to time. You might be able to get some additional information there.

There are many issues for the type of symptoms you are feeling. It could be a lower lumbar disc, or a problem with the sacroiliac joint. At least in my experience, it is a bit unusual to have a problem only with the piriformis without having any other issues with the lumbar spine or SI joints.

Is the pain only on the back of your thigh and leg? Where does your foot go numb? Do you have any tingling? Numbness and tingling are usually a sign that there is some spinal nerve compression. But the sciatic nerve itself can get pinched if the piriformis is taut or inflamed. In this case, the question would be "what is causing the piriformis to be taut or inflamed?

There are some provocative stretches you can do to help determine if it is the piriformis that is causing the pain. I think you can find them online if you look through a number of different websites.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
wllwrt4fd (12-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
(female)

wllwrt4fd HB User
Re: Possible Piriformis Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
Ii usually post on the back board where we talk about piriformis issues from time to time. You might be able to get some additional information there.

There are many issues for the type of symptoms you are feeling. It could be a lower lumbar disc, or a problem with the sacroiliac joint. At least in my experience, it is a bit unusual to have a problem only with the piriformis without having any other issues with the lumbar spine or SI joints.

Is the pain only on the back of your thigh and leg? Where does your foot go numb? Do you have any tingling? Numbness and tingling are usually a sign that there is some spinal nerve compression. But the sciatic nerve itself can get pinched if the piriformis is taut or inflamed. In this case, the question would be "what is causing the piriformis to be taut or inflamed?

There are some provocative stretches you can do to help determine if it is the piriformis that is causing the pain. I think you can find them online if you look through a number of different websites.
First of all, thank-you so much for responding. I appreciate it because I'm at my wits end here trying to figure out what's wrong with me. I've actually been tested for all of the more common causes of sciatica. I had a lumbar MRI and whatnot and it came back normal. The majority of the numbness is in my thighs, although overtime it did spread down to my feet and the toes in the middle seem to be the worst and my big toe seems to be the one that is least numb. Also, I have these suspicions for a couple of reasons. When I drive, my right leg, which I put a lot of pressure on when I drive really begins to hurt and goes completely numb if I'm in the car for more then say 40 mins. In addition, after I ran not too long ago my right leg was sore and the worst it's been for three days afterwards, basically until I saw my chiropractor. Furthermore, ever since I went to the chiropractor and he told me that my piriformis muscle was tight I've been doing some serious leg stretching including the hamstrings and glutes, but mainly focusing on the piriformis muscle and I saw a considerable amount of improvement.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

You have thoroughly checked out any possible spine issue previously, right?

I don't believe I have known or heard of anyone who had piriformis problems as a stand-alone issue.

Also I don't really know what the EMG/nerve conduction study will reveal. It may should some nerve damage or radiculopathy but it will not necessarily indicate the source of the nerve irritation or compression. What are your expectations for the tests?

Old 12-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
(female)

wllwrt4fd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
You have thoroughly checked out any possible spine issue previously, right?

I don't believe I have known or heard of anyone who had piriformis problems as a stand-alone issue.

Also I don't really know what the EMG/nerve conduction study will reveal. It may should some nerve damage or radiculopathy but it will not necessarily indicate the source of the nerve irritation or compression. What are your expectations for the tests?
I was just expecting it to show whether or not there was any nerve damage/irritation, not necessarily what the source was and yes I've been checked for most of the major spine problems. The only thing I was diagnosed with so far has been lordosis and a mild form of scoliosis.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
(male)

AndreTouch1 HB User

My suggestion is to seek a Neuromuscular Therapist who specializes in MyoFascial Release. You'll notice a significant difference in no time

Reply Reply