It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuromuscular Diseases Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
(female)

jenjen393 HB User
Increasing memory issues-47yrs old-ECT in 2001

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this…even if you don’t reply, maybe it will help you in some way !

Background:

Current medications:
Lithium
synthroid
lexapro
wellbutrin
lamotrigine
nuvigil

47yr old female
Bipolar-major depressive under control since 2003 w/ one minor depressive event since
Sleep Apnea
Narcolepsy
Low thyroid
Had multiple rounds of Electro Convulsive Therapy done in 2001--lost HUGE chunks of long term memory that never came back
Increasing difficulty with short term memory
Double vision (worse when lying sideways & close vision)
On and off swallowing/throat problems (last sev weeks & then disappears..have had about 30 or so incidents,drs. never able to figure out why)
tremors (worse in morning-mainly shows in hands..sometimes head)
Continual constipation
no energy..fatigue especially in last few years
Painful, sudden spikes of pain in toes(once or twice a day)
Continual soreness & stiffness all over body,,oftn very difficult & painful to get out of bed in the morning (have to hold on to furniture to gain balance and lean on for support)
Had pretty extensive bloodwork done in August..incl B12..all ok
Have always experienced moderate twitching while falling asleep..recently severe jerking..even during the daytime..even whole upper body, head, legs/feet (twice while driving) even my stomach !!
Just experencied six months of continual numbness & tingling of left side arm/hand..sometimes stomach/foot/leg & head cervical MRI, shows increasing degeneration, but nothing to point to the reason for the recent numbness/tingling/pain
EEG showed nerve entrapment in elbow with incredibly sensitive reflexes on entire boy/was referred to surgeon/he immediately ordered cervical x-ray/then sent me back to my cervical surgeon who ordered a cervical mri..have been some changes but nothing incredibly dramatic
After six months, all numbness suddenly gone
Have had 2 brain MRI’s (none since short term memory worsening)
One brain MRI before a cervical fusion surgery (2006)
Another in 2007 when experiencing decreasing sensation in face, arm & leg
Don’t have a copy of 2006 MRI
2007 MRI (which I think is fairly normal???) shows:several FLAIR punctate hyperintensities in the occipital lobes bilaterally, unchanged from previous exam...no lesions, masses, etc., normal vascular flows..some motion degradation.
IMPRESSION: Findings consistent with chronic small vesssel
ischemic changes in white matter tracts in the occipital lobes bilaterally.
In Nov of 2011, I had an eye injury..totally extended bungy cord snapped back to catch me in the right eye…was bleeding internally in eye..given 1 week bed rest & medication (steroids?) Still have continual “floaters”--black lines.

SIDE NOTES:

My friends and family normally make remarks about my lack of memory ability
My 76yr old father..just recently had a very significant stroke-
related to the caratoid) also have family history of Parkinson’s.. paternal grandfather & father

Have started a journal recently as I and my husband are noticing some puzzling events:

Memory journal

~ 12/1 taking call at work w/trainee listening in (have done several times before…. ..my mind went totally blank for about 5 seconds..could not remember what I was saying or thinking

~ 1/1/13 could not remember how to fold a tshirt..took about 3-4 seconds to recall

~ 1/7/13 could not remember how to switch from cd to radio in my car (I spend 3 hrs a DAY in my car commuting)

1/8/13 could not find my car in the parking garage..I park there every morning..not always on the same level..I spent 45min looking for it before going to the security office where they found that my parking pass had NOT been used that day to exit the garage..eventually (after about 20 more min of walking found it)

1/9/13 carried a bottle of water (among other things) up the steps...laid everything on the bed and then asked my husband to bring my bottle of water upstairs

1/10/13 brushing teeth...toothpaste in top right drawer for (approx 6 months.. we just moved) open cabinet above & to the right of the sink...looking for the toothpaste..took about 1 sec until I had realized what i had done

1/11/13 took me about 3 seconds to remember the word for shoulder

At least 2-3 times a day while walking around, forget the task at hand

Often..on a much traveled route..find myself reaching the destination & thinking “wow…I really got here quickly” and then realize that I don’t remember a large portion of the drive

Thank you so much for taking the time and the energy to read thru this…any and all comments would be appreciated…even a “you’re OK, you’re just getting older” )

Thanks !

Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply