It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board

Neuropathy

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2016, 04:27 AM   #1
weakkneeswilly
(male)

weakkneeswilly HB User
Neuropathy

My neuropathy is getting worse! I take 3600 mg daily of Gabapentin and it doesn't seem to help! I use CVS therapeutic menthol gel that seems to help more than the medication! Sometimes when i wake up in the morning I just know its going to be a LONG day! Please HELP!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2016, 12:34 AM   #2
bluefinch
(male)

bluefinch HB User
Re: Neuropathy

Hi weakkneeswilly

I'd like to help, but you haven't said where your neuropathic pain is. If it is in the sciatic nerve I can empathise, because I am going through a similar agony. I've had sciatic nerve pain in my left leg for 6 years or so now. Of the drugs I take for pain, only lorazepam has any effect on it. But when it is working at it's best it takes it away completely. Unfortunately it is not intended for long term use. You become used to it, and a higher dose is needed to give the same effect - in other words it is addictive. I'm taking three 1mg tablets a day, and I have to leave them off now and then when they stop working. I've tried diazapam as well, but I find lorazepam works better.

I also take one 50mg tablet of amitryptiline at night. This is an anti-depressant, but can be used as a sedative for neuropathic pain.

My paracetamol and tramadol, which I take in combination, don't touch it - this, I think, is widely observed to be true of many people by the medical profession, but I suppose it may not be true of everyone.

I was hospitalised just before Christmas with acute sciatic nerve pain in my right side, and was prescribed gabapentin for the first time. I was given 100mg three times a day to start with, which was increased to 600mg by my local doctor after Christmas. After three or four weeks with no improvement, it was raised to 900mg, then 1200mg, in four doses of 300 - still no improvement. I am currently taking 1600mg, and have been advised to spread the doses more evenly over 24 hours, rather than squeeze them into 12 hours with a 12 hour overnight gap in between.

What is CVS therapeutic menthol gel? If that works, I'd like to try it.

I hope this is of some help. I'd be interested to hear how you're getting on.

- Bluefinch

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefinch For This Useful Post:
weakkneeswilly (04-13-2016)
Old 04-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
weakkneeswilly
(male)

weakkneeswilly HB User

Hey blue sorry I took so long to reply, My neuropathy is in my nerve endings. It affects both legs from the knee down. I get cramps,tingling, soreness, etc all 10 toes have been numb for 8 years. I did try the amitryptiline but it did nothing.

Cold air aggravates the nerve ending as I wear long pants in the Florida heat.

I hope by now you have tried the gel. It works for me!

Hope your feeling better it was great to get a reply!

Thanks bluefinch

weakkneeswilly

Old 05-02-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
lswote
(male)

lswote HB User

I have been as high as 6000 mg daily of Gabapentin but I would recommend you talk to your neurologist about Pregabalin, better known as Lyrica. In 2006 I went from 6000 mg Gabapentin to 600 mg of Lyrica. It works very much like Gabapentin, but faster, better and you have a smaller dosage.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:12 PM   #5
LasVegasgirl
(female)

LasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB UserLasVegasgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weakkneeswilly View Post
My neuropathy is getting worse! I take 3600 mg daily of Gabapentin and it doesn't seem to help! I use CVS therapeutic menthol gel that seems to help more than the medication! Sometimes when i wake up in the morning I just know its going to be a LONG day! Please HELP!!!

Hello,

I take 1200 of gabapentin plus Loritab. I am still in a lot of pain. I know there are other types of anti-depressants that they can add to help. A lot of people think Lyrica helps but it didn't for me. Also there is Tramadol and Cymbalta.

You need to speak to your doctor and see if they can add one of these. You have to see which one works best for you.

I am not working anymore so think I will ask to try Cymbalta to add to my other arsenal of meds for this nightmare.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #6
weakkneeswilly
(male)

weakkneeswilly HB User

I started taking Lyrica and I think its starting to work. ))))

Old 01-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #7
lswote
(male)

lswote HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weakkneeswilly View Post
I started taking Lyrica and I think its starting to work. ))))
It has been awhile since I recommended taking Lyrica so I don't know if my recommendation had anything to do with you taking it, but I am glad to hear you are getting good results.

Reply Reply