It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2003, 10:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
Facial numbness, worse after sleep ?

Been trying to find the cause of intermittent right side facial numbness for months now. 2 neurologists, 3 MRI's, Evoked potential tests, EEG's, blood tests, etc. Still no answer. Appointment is today to find out latest test results.

Most recent symptom is numbness is worse after sleep. Regardless of sleep position, even a 1 hour nap bring it on.

I have come to the conclusion that neurology is not a science and that they really dont understand the brain and nervous system at all.

I would bet that my appointment today will result in "We dont know what is causing this".

Anyone else with similar problems?

Old 12-12-2003, 01:26 AM   #2
Inactive

scotland79 HB User
Re: Facial numbness, worse after sleep ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by farscape66
Been trying to find the cause of intermittent right side facial numbness for months now. 2 neurologists, 3 MRI's, Evoked potential tests, EEG's, blood tests, etc. Still no answer. Appointment is today to find out latest test results.

Most recent symptom is numbness is worse after sleep. Regardless of sleep position, even a 1 hour nap bring it on.

I have come to the conclusion that neurology is not a science and that they really dont understand the brain and nervous system at all.

I would bet that my appointment today will result in "We dont know what is causing this".

Hi i also get a lot of numbness after sleep. I havent had it in my face, but i have had it in my head (scalp) i also get it on my ring and pinky finger when awakening and sometimes my leg. It goes away when i get up. Ive had an MRI of the head and it was fine. I think i just sleep in strange positions all the time. I think numbness in your face is a neck thing, not totally sure but i think if your face is numb it may well be the position of your neck when sleeping. And your right about the neurology thing, they do not fully understand the brain and nervous system. Im currently waiting to see a neurologist but ive got 6 months to go yet. bet he wont know whats causing my numbness either. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2003, 05:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

Neurlogist is stumped still. No idea what is causing this. He just ordered neck x-rays to look for a pinched nerve and prescribed skelaxin (a muscle relaxer) to take before bedtime. Will find out the results of the x-rays early next year.

Old 01-08-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
Mara

Have you just eaten prior to taking your nap? Sometimes sugar highs or lows can make a person sleepy. Sugar metabolizing problems can cause numbness. Have they tested you for diabetes? A neurootologist had me sent for one. I had bouts of alternating facial palsy. I have a history of being hyperthyroid and have recently been having thyroid elevations and as chance would have it some facial sensations as well (tingling and some numbness). I hope they find out what is causing this for you.

If you are clenching while you sleep and are unaware of this it could cause problems. If the Skelaxin helps you that would be an indicator. Good luck and hope it helps.

Old 01-08-2004, 12:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemi
Have you just eaten prior to taking your nap? Sometimes sugar highs or lows can make a person sleepy. Sugar metabolizing problems can cause numbness. Have they tested you for diabetes? A neurootologist had me sent for one. I had bouts of alternating facial palsy. I have a history of being hyperthyroid and have recently been having thyroid elevations and as chance would have it some facial sensations as well (tingling and some numbness). I hope they find out what is causing this for you.

If you are clenching while you sleep and are unaware of this it could cause problems. If the Skelaxin helps you that would be an indicator. Good luck and hope it helps.
I usually do not eat before my naps, they are around 3 or 4 pm, well after lunch.
The xrays of the face all came back normal. Still no answers.

Old 01-26-2004, 10:57 PM   #6

tryingtofeelgood HB User

Quote:

I was just wondering what the doc did say? I am hoping you are finding less numbness upon waking. Do you have this numbness on the left of right side of the face?

I wish you well and look forward to your update,
Randi

Old 01-27-2004, 12:24 PM   #7
Mara

Quote:
I usually do not eat before my naps, they are around 3 or 4 pm, well after lunch. The xrays of the face all came back normal. Still no answers.
Could it be a complication of diabetes, diabetic neuropathy? Are your sugar & bp levels under control? Did you have a change in medications when this started? Is your thyroid regulated?

If they rule out other possibilities, it could be complications of existing conditions. Good to hear your exrays are normal.

Last edited by Gemi; 01-27-2004 at 12:34 PM. Reason: ps; I had not noticed your conditions listed when I first responded. Hope you are feeling better.

Old 01-30-2004, 08:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User

Blood sugar and blood pressure under total control. Latest is they are ordering a spinal MRI just to check for problems. Still no answers. Frustrating.

Old 12-28-2004, 02:18 PM   #9

jillnkiwi HB User

Did you ever get a diagnosis? I have facial numbness and am currently seeing a number of doctors in order to find the cause. I'd appreciate any help here.

Old 12-28-2004, 02:25 PM   #10
(male)

Ed Hoffman HB User

Most likely some nerve interference caused in your upper neck area. My wife gets these (and many other symptoms) and she has problems in the C3 and C5 area.
Try seening a chiropractor.

Closed Thread