It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2004, 02:34 AM   #1

Ann21 HB User
Numbness/Tingling in foot/ankle/leg .... but spine MRI negative ...what else?

I'm a 22 year old female, healthy, normal weight/height, etc. I have had tingling in my right leg for about 8-9 months now. It started as a tingle in my right big toe and quickly spread all through my foot & ankle and up to my knee. I could best describe it as the numbess of your tongue at the dentist....you know someone is touching your tongue, but you can't really feel it.

I finally was able to be seen my a neurologist. He did two types of tests on me. The first was little shocks, in 6 different places. I didn't feel them in a couple spots until the most severe shock. Then, he inserted a needle into those 6 different spots. The first two times, I watched him stick the needle all the way into my leg.....completely in awe because I felt nothing. But then I definitely felt it for the rest (ouch!!). When he got to the spot on my back.....I think I scared off the people in the waiting room!

He ordered a L-Spine No Contrast MRI. The office called me the next week to tell me that everything was fine & negative on the results. That was that. No concern about what it could be, no follow up, nothing.

My question is this...... does anyone have any clue what else could be causing this??

Like I said, I am young and in good shape. I haven't had any injuries to anything that I can recall. It is just so uncomfortable and so frustrating not knowing what is going on .... because I can't fix it in that case! One last thing that might help....... some spots are number than others. There is a spot on my ankle where I can't feel a thing. I don't know if that means anything.

Thanks to anyone who reads, and thanks very very very much to anyone who can reply!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2004, 08:37 AM   #2

Hey Joe HB User
Re: Numbness/Tingling in foot/ankle/leg .... but spine MRI negative ...what else?

HI Ann, It sounds like you had an EMg/NCS to check your nerve amplitude and velocity in your leg. What did the report say. Get a copy of your report and all your tests and reports and keep a file at home. There are many different tests that could still be done depending on what your EMG said. There are many blood tests that should be done to test for possible autoimmune conditons, antibodies etc.

Joe

Old 08-13-2004, 11:44 PM   #3

saved90 HB User
Re: Numbness/Tingling in foot/ankle/leg .... but spine MRI negative ...what else?

My daughter had a lot of the same problems as you. She had been ill for seven years. She has no feeling in her feet,legs up to the hips. She had all the usual tests. MRI-Cat Scans-X-rays-bone marrow tests. She was finally diagnosed (just this month) with a copper deficiency. It is very rare but causes these neurological symptoms and also blood disorders. Have a doctor to check your copper and zinc levels. It may help. I have learned that zinc and copper work against each other in the body. This is fairly new. A study has been done at the Mayo Clinic on this subject. Please have a heavy metals test done. My daughter is 33 and cannot do anything for herself because of this. It may not be that, but it could be. I don't want to see another person in a wheel chair because of a copper deficiency. If your copper is that low you will probably have a high zinc level also.

Closed Thread