It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2005, 05:17 AM   #1
(male)

brentlinton HB User
Peroneal Nerve Damage ~ Dropped Foot!

Hello all,

I visited my surgeon yesterday for follow-up. I was hit by a car while riding my motorcycle in September '04. It was a broadside hit on my left side, fracturing my Femur, Pelvis & Wrist. The surgeon said all of the ortho work on my fractures were healing well. However, it has left me with nerve damage, that includes a "dropped foot" and lack of sensitivity in my lower leg. He sent me to get an EMG performed yesterday also. Keep in mind that I have been told for the past 6 months that the nerve will regenerate and within a year or so, have full use of my foot again.

After the EMG (which wasn't as bad as I had envisioned), the doctor immediately told me, "The news is not very good. Your Peroneal Nerve is damaged beyond repair. Your current condition is permanent, barring a miracle". I almost cried. The nerve damage has left me with an ankle contracture that makes my foot like a "ballerina" - constantly pressing down. When I stand, I stand on the ball of my foot and the ankle will not allow my foot to rest in the neutral position. In addition, the loss of sensitivity makes my foot like that of a diabetic. In fact, last week I developed an ingrown toenail that became severly infected. This is dangerous when you have poor bloodflow. I am seeing a Podiatrist this morning to have the nail cut out (great!).

I have a MOFO (brace) that I can't wear due to the contracture. So, they have prescribed for me a modified brace that will support the contracture. It is basically two rods that are built into the shoe and go up each side of my leg with a strap around the top of my calf. I will have to wear this for some time. Eventually, they plan to lengthen the "heal cord" to put my foot in more of a neutral position. I have no idea when they plan on that. In short, I will have to wear a brace for the rest of my life - boooooo!

This has beeen such an ordeal. An afternoon ride to get some videos at Blockbuster, two miles from my house, results in a life-long disability. Anyway, I am sure there are others dealing with this same disability and were wondering if you could share your stories and give me advice on any new surgical techniques, suggestions, or just your own thoughts.

Thank you in advance - we all need each other in times like this!

BrentLinton

Last edited by brentlinton; 03-22-2005 at 05:21 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to brentlinton For This Useful Post:
Mechele39 (08-07-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 12:06 PM   #2

shambbles HB User
Re: Peroneal Nerve Damage ~ Dropped Foot!

Hi Brent.
I'm so very sorry to hear of your injury. Did they suspect the foot drop at the time of your injury? Were you in a foot brace from the beginning? My foot drop was diagnosed a few days after my injury in Oct 03.. I was told I had to wear a foot brace 24 hours a day 7 days a week or my foot would do the "ballerina point" and it would be permanent. That news alone made me a faithfull brace wearer. Last July I stopped wearing the brace at night (have to wear it during the day just to walk) and have recently notice my foot starting to "point". I am starting back with the night brace. I had 2 EMG's and was told the nerve wasn't regenerating. The surgical option I was given was a "posterier tibial tendon transfer" that would take place approx 18 months from the date of injury. The surgery would lock the foot in a 90 degree angle hopefully allowing me to not have to wear the brace. I was in PT for 4-4 1/2 months 3 days a week. I was told to do heal stretches every day several times a day just to keep the achilles tendon from shrinking.
Do you have nerve pain from the foot drop? It took several months of trying different meds to find the one that would help me. Finally finding the pain relief in Elavil.
In my attempt to find answers, i've chatted to several people on this board who share our type of injury. Hopefully you hear from more of them.

Best of luck.
Cindy

Old 03-23-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
(male)

bigdog13 HB User

Hello Brent,
I also have drop foot as of april 22nd, 2004. It happened at work as a fellow employee fell of a scafling and landed on my back. I had an MRI done and I tore my ACL, LCL, Biceps femoris(hamstring) and the worst thing of all, my peroneal nerve is out! I can't move my right foot up and it is all numb on top of the foot up to almost my knee. The doctor told me I would need nerve graph surgery which I had on june 9th, 2004. He said it would take 6-12 months to regenerate. They took 10 inches of nerve from my right calf and put it in my right thigh where the herve was out. It got stretched like a rubberband as the doc tells me. I have this afo brace and I can't stand it. The doc says It is 70% chance of regenerating but its been 9 1/2 months and nothing has changed in my foot. I am praying every night that it comes back. Jason[/B][/I]

Old 03-24-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
(male)

brentlinton HB User

Thank you both for your stories. Sometimes I feel like I am totally alone with this condition. Everyone (including some of my doctors) ask me, "Why aren't you walking yet?".....well, duh!

I found more info on the web about Nerve Grafting and Nerve Transfer, but as i understand (and from BigDog's testimony) that is isn't 100% guranteed. I too have a MOFO that I can't wear. I have the ankle contracture that doesn't allow me to wear it. I hate it anyway - very uncomfortable.

I am supposed to get a new brace made next week that is built into a shoe, I will let you know how that goes. Yeah, I messed up by not wearing my brace for the first month or so. I wore it now and then, but now wear it 24/7 as I can't stand for the foot to be in a dropped position. The "soft boot" I wear doesn't give much support, but it is better than nothing. What type of night splint do you wear?

I am 39 years old and feel like my life has partially ended. We have a trip to Disneyworld in May and I had hoped to be able to walk. Not a chance. As time goes on, I become more and more discouraged. Please share ANY experiences you have!

Brent

Old 03-25-2005, 12:47 PM   #5

shambbles HB User

What's a MOFO? I wear a custom hinged foot drop brace during the day. Just recently got a "Toe On" brace but I can't seem to get used to it. For the night I have a "A Force Dorsal" brace. I remember early on how wearing the braces would cause so much pain where the straps came over the ankle but that pain has subsided. Because I've never had surgery to fix the ACL/LCL/PCL I must walk with extreme caution at every step.
Also noted earlier this week that I'm having more electrical shocks in DIFFERENT areas of my foot then I've had before. Not sure what that's about.??

Old 03-26-2005, 11:11 AM   #6
(male)

bigdog13 HB User

I understand the frustration from both of you, even though the doc said it was 70% chance of the nerve coming back I too feel as though if it doesn't that my life would be partially over as well. I can't play any sports right now and I can't run at all with the brace on. I am 30 years old and playing sports was a HUGE part of my life. I am SOOO frustrated by not being able to move my right foot up at all. and every step with that plastic brace feels like a knife into my heel with every step. Jason

Old 08-21-2005, 06:58 AM   #7
(female)

smooshes HB User
Talking Re: Peroneal Nerve Damage ~ Dropped Foot!

Dear Brent:

Thank you for sharing your story. 6 months ago I was stricken with a disease called Rhabdomyolisis which caused such extreme poisoning and edema, I have permanent paralysis in the left leg and permanent foot drop. I wear AFO's to go out, but, as a result of the pain from the nerve damage, I am unable to walk more than 10 to 15 feet and need a walker to do that. I was a perfectly healthy 42 year old woman before this happened and now, am also permanently disabled. It is heartbreaking. I was also told I would possible improve in 6 to 12 months, now am told not to hope for a miracle. At this point, I have learned that there was a surgery that could have been done if performed within a week of the illness. They didnt do that. I am not sure if there are surgeries for your condition, however, I know for mine, there are none. I do wear an ace bandage around the ankle in the house to get around better and it does help the foot drop and I do not have to wear those bulky AFO's around my house. I thought I would mention that, and also just let you know from the looks of all the responses you are not alone, and neither am I. Best Wishes!

Old 02-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Lynn1991NY HB User

A tendon transfer does not lock in your foot at a 90 deree angle. An ankle fusion locks in your ankle at 90 degrees. A tendon transfer simply stated moves temdons from one area of your foot to the top to keep your foot from dropping. Some have success retraining those transferred tendons to move up and some some. Therefore it is possible to have active motion (therefore it wont be locked). Some cannot retrain the tendons so the have passive motion. I had posterior tibial tendon transfer less than a week ago. If you have questions, please ask.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-20-2009 at 12:02 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lynn1991NY For This Useful Post:
myunderstood (03-01-2012)
Old 03-25-2007, 07:52 AM   #9
(female)

Larla66 HB User

Hi Brent,

I'm real sorry to hear how bad things are going for you, hopefully they have improved from your last posting in 2005. I really hope you got to go to Disneyland and have full mobility and do everything you wanted to do.

I never realised that there would be much information on this condition online, I guess until you suffer from it you don't really fully understand how much it affects your everyday life. I had an accident 8 weeks ago and broke my leg in three places, the worst fracture being my fibula, I was really shocked and scared when I got my cast off 4 weeks ago and found my foot was paralysed and was told I would suffer from dropped foot.

I have an appointment to see my Consultant Doctor on Tuesday but feel very frightened as there has been very little improvement. I'm not able to do much in the house to look after my two children and partner without my foot getting very sore and swollen. I lost my baby in October too and feel real down and know I'm being quick tempered at times because of these two things happening.

I'd appreciate any advice you have, would be great to speak to someone going through the same thing.

Hope to hear from you soon, xoxo

Old 05-27-2007, 02:14 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

gmac1975 HB User

Hello all

It's been 13 years and great to finally speak to people in a similar situation.

Long story short: When I was 18 my younger brother (god love him!) accidentally pushed me thru a glass door, the fall causing me to tear my sciatic nerve. Nerve reconstruction was a partial success but I still needed to wear a splint due to the drop foot.

A few months ago I stumbled across some information online about a tendon transfer and decided to make some inquiries. Last week I went for an EEG and the doc thinks I could be a suitable candidate for the op. At the moment I can push my foot down but not pull it up. The chap who did the EEG reckons I should be able to rectify that if the op is a success, meaning I wouldnt have to wear the splint any more which would mean so much to me.

Interested to hear more from Lynne or anyone else who's had the operation, what it involves, recovery time etc etc

Thanks

Old 05-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #11
(male)

Th3rD 3yE HB User

in april of 2004 i tore three ligements and the nerve in my right leg.. i have had the nerve graph/transfer done and i had no positive results. a year later i had my legaments repaired. March of 2007 i had a tendon transfer done. i have have been going through physical theriopy and now have gotten to 6 degrees lift. but i had a weird incident that for some reason i have no ability to lift my foot. (see my thread i posted just the other day about this). the tendon transfer is the best route to go. in my case, i am still waiting to find out what is resticting my foot from lifting. no tears or anything was what my doctor told me he saw on the MRI... so right now its a mystery.
good luck

Old 06-06-2007, 08:51 PM   #12
(female)

zolange10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rD 3yE View Post
in april of 2004 i tore three ligements and the nerve in my right leg.. i have had the nerve graph/transfer done and i had no positive results. a year later i had my legaments repaired. March of 2007 i had a tendon transfer done. i have have been going through physical theriopy and now have gotten to 6 degrees lift. but i had a weird incident that for some reason i have no ability to lift my foot. (see my thread i posted just the other day about this). the tendon transfer is the best route to go. in my case, i am still waiting to find out what is resticting my foot from lifting. no tears or anything was what my doctor told me he saw on the MRI... so right now its a mystery.
good luck
Hey my name is zolange and i have dropped foot caused by a car accident i was in last year. I am having a tendon transfer on friday and i was wondering why if you say your having problems you also say its the best way out. I want to know what im up for.. please reply

Old 06-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #13
(male)

mike7380 HB User

hello everyone!

in aug 05 i was playing softball and dislocated my left knee rupturing my acl, pcl, acl and had extensive nerve damage resulting in a drop foot on my left foot. it took a year and a half to have the surgery to fix my knee and i am still left with a foot drop. i recently went to the doc who informed me that the nerve was shot and recommended a tendon transfer surgery but giving me little hope of returning back to the way i was pre injury. he said i had a 50% chance of being able to move my foot up at all and that the other time it might just be locked almost in a 90 degree angle. this it seems would solve my foot drop problem but would limit other areas mostly not being able to push my foot back down as far as it was before the tendon transfer. he wants to set up the surgery date in a few weeks but i have not given him the go ahead yet. i have been unable to find suffient evidence online on the success rates with this surgery and was wondering if anyone on here has had the surgery themselves and what kind of progress they have had. also, any info on the surgery would be appreciated as well!

thank you

Old 06-21-2007, 02:57 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

gmac1975 HB User

Update: Went to see the consultant yesterday. News wasnt as good as I had been hoping and he thinks there might be no value in doing a tendon transfer as he's not convinced it will work.

He is talking about ankle fusion as a possible alternative but I really dont like the sound of that. Does anyone on here know any more about the procedure and/or after-effects??

Thanks
Gmac

Old 06-27-2007, 12:45 AM   #15
(male)

mjlamb HB User
Wink Re: Peroneal Nerve Damage ~ Dropped Foot!

well, heres my story and i'm sticking to it!

july 23rd 2006 at myrtle beach sc. 1st day of vacation! i hyperextended my knee playing nerf football on the beach. worse pain i've ever felt. went to the emergency room and after x-rays the doctor said "nothing is broken, maybe you tore your acl" well i came home and after an mri came the bad news. i ruptured the acl, pcl, and tore the lcl. pulled a chunk of bone out where the tendon was attached. and last but not least stretched the peroneal nerve.

my doc is the orthpedist for the st. louis steamers and team usa hockey. he's good. dr. farley. he said i could watch all the football i want and none of those guys squirming on the field will have as bad a knee injury as i've got. if my bone would have snapped it would have been easier!

after extensive knee reconstruction. five days in the hospital. (two ligaments were replaced with donor ligaments and one repaired) pt four days a week! i started walking the end of november with a cane. but, i still have no use of my foot. i had a nerve conduction study done last week and the result was negative. going on a year since the injury. i'm gonna give the nerve a few more months. they say after a year it's a slim to none chance of the nerve waking up if it's not making any progress.

the tendon transfer is the next step. i'm not looking forward to no weight bearing again. i've been wobbling around for six months now and do not wanna be a couch potatoe again! i keep my ankle stretched by leaning into the wall and keep the foot planted. it's still pretty loose. my toes are another story. very rigid up and down. i'll be 42 in october so my life is half over. i feel sorry for you younger guys. i wasn't real active when it happened. occasional softball or NERF football! anyway i feel your pain. it's scary not being able to walk right. my knee will never be the same but it does function. i just want my foot to work a little too.

god bless you all and good luck! just keep up the hope and always look at the good things. don't feel sorry for yourself, there is always someone worse off than you. think about the vets that are coming home from iraq with bad injuries and the sacrifice they made. some of those boys don't come home at all.

anyways good luck!
marty lamb

Closed Thread