It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
(female)

Rain820 HB User
Numb Right Foot

Hey folks...well just as I was FINALLY starting to feel good with all my other recent issues, I'm faced with yet another one.

For the last week, my right foot has been numb. I noticed it last week when I woke up out of a dead sleep with it completely numb, but when I got up and walked around, it seemed better. It's happened other times too, but I assumed I was just sleeping on it without realizing it. But this night I KNEW I wasn't sleeping on it or putting any pressure whatsoever. So, the following night I slept that way again, and sure enough, I woke up with it completely numb. The difference now is that it kind of stays this way the whole day. It seems to be more the toes and right below it, because I notice when I put cream on my feet, it feels weird to the touch.

I have an appointment this Monday with a neurologist, but would appreciate any input from here. I do have some questions too...I have diabetes in my family, so I'm always worried that I'm about to get it. However, I recently had bloodwork done and it was all normal. But each time I read up on numbness, diabetes issues always come up. So I'm wondering, could numb feet be a SYMPTOM of diabetes, or is it that when you already have diabetes, you should be aware of any numbness you may have?

Back in early March I fell down some stairs and landed on my tailbone. So I'm wondering too if maybe I knocked something out of line and it's just affecting me now with the numbness?

I am also worried it could be circulation related. If that's the case, I kind of feel like it's not good to be waiting around for an appointment. I keep looking at it to make sure it looks fine. There doesn't appear to be any discoloring or swelling, and I can move my toes fine. I can walk too, it's just annoying. And if I walk too much, it hurts a bit, but that's normal I'd imagine. And also, I know this is also a big symptom of MS. So, I guess I'm worried about that too. I have had pins & needles feelings in other areas, again pretty randomly. I just figured it was nothing major, just in my head, or something affecting me that particular day. But now that this is going on, I'm more concerned about it.

I know that I'll have to just wait and see the doc, but any opinions would be appreciated. And any tips on how to relieve it until the appointment would be great too. I don't want to be doing anything that could be making it worse. Thanks!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Rain820:
prabas (01-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
(female)

mritta HB User
Re: Numb Right Foot

Hi,

I really don't know anything about neuropathy, but happened to see the title of you post, and thought I might check it out.

I too have had a numb right foot for about a month and a half now. I am in my early 20s, and in good health. At first I wasn't too concerned about the numbness, because I sit at a computer for work all day, so thought maybe my foot was just falling asleep. But then it started to happen more frequently. In fact, more often than not, it is numb and tingling.

When I first mentioned this to my GenPract she thought it was because of the SEVERE anxiety I was having at the time. Well, not my anxiety has subsided somewhat, but the numbness continues. I went to the doc yesterday and they tested me for diabetes. (My mother is classified as borderline diabetic). My results should be back soon. I too did the usual research on the numbness, and it all pointed to diabetes too.

My doc also sent me in for a lumbar x-ray, which I did this morning. She said that if the disks in my lower back are messed up (or something to that effect), they could be putting pressure on the nurves that could cause the numbness in the foot. I had a nasty fall on some steps about 8 years ago. While I didn't have any major problems at the time, I've been seeing a chiropractor sporatically since.

If both my x-rays and blood test come back normal, I am going to think about seeing a neurologist. The numbness is so frequent now that I am getting increasingly concerned.

Sorry I don't really have an answer for you. Let me know if you come up with any reason for this! Good Luck!

Old 05-12-2005, 10:04 PM   #3
(female)

Rain820 HB User

Thanks for the reply! It's been a few days since my post, and I'm feeling pretty much the same. The numbness is there all day, but when I sleep it gets worse. When I move my toes around and clench them, it seems to feel much better. I even tried walking like that a bit and it was better, but who can walk with their toes clenched all day??? haha!

Also I notice moving it around and rubbing it a bit helps. I'm hoping that this is all pointing to some sort of pinched nerve issue that can be helped with the proper phsyical therpy and treatments.

My main problem now is going to sleep. I still have a few days till my appointment, and I haven't found a way to sleep without waking up in a few hours with it completely numb and in pain. My friend suggested I try propping a pillow under my knee so the leg is arched a bit, similar to how it is when I'm up and standing. I tried that for a little while just now but it seems to make it worse sooner. So I don't know what to do. Any thoughts would be appreciated...thanks!

Mritta, please keep me posted on your issues too...thanks

Old 05-13-2005, 06:53 AM   #4
(female)

mritta HB User

Hi Rain,

Sorry to hear things have not gotten better for you. I too have not gotten any better, and my test results have not come in either. Unfortunatley I cannot suggest anything to help with the sleeping problem. My numbness has not kept me up from sleep, although it is around pretty much all day long. The other night however, I woke from a dead sleep with a HORRIBLE cramp in my right calf (same leg that keeps getting numb). I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but will discuss it with my doc if/when they call with test results.

I'll keep you posted on what I find out....please let me know how it goes for you!

Old 05-18-2005, 07:12 AM   #5
(female)

mritta HB User

Hi Rain!

Just checking to see if you ever got an answer to your problem. I am STILL waiting for my blood test results to come in...

Hope all is well!

Old 05-18-2005, 07:55 AM   #6
(female)

Rain820 HB User

Hey there, actually I did get some results...but I'm not sure what to do yet about them. I went on Monday to a chiropractor. See, techinically I made an appointment at this place that has a neurologist, physical & massage therapists, and chiropractors all in the one facility. When I called, I made the appt. wto see the NEUROLOGIST...but when I got there, filled out all the papers, they made me see the chiro. I was a little annoyed at that, but figured I'd see what he says. He asked me a bunch of questions, then did some tests on my foot with a little brush, and a pin type thing. He went up my leg, etc. He did this on both legs and asked me each time if it felt about the same or less in the bad foot. Some of it was about the same, some of it was less. Then he did some tests on my lower back, pressed around in certain areas. He also had my lie on my back and took each leg and strectched it up, told me to tell him when it hurt. It didn't hurt at all until it was straigh up, then I just felt pulling in the thigh, which is normal because it was just the muscle stretching. And, I'm in horrible shape, so I'm actually surprised he got it up that, high, LOL. Anyway, then he took 2 xrays of my lower back. I went back last night for the results. This time it was the other chiro who talked to me. He said that there's a TINY bit of arthritis starting up, but that's not the cuase of this. Then he said there was some degeneration on the L4 (I think) and he showed me exactly where it was on the xray, though it's hard for me to understand those things. He also explained a bit about discs and nerves, and that when this happens, it affects the nerves, and that's what is going on, he thinks.

Now he moved onto treatment...he said they would do back adjustments 3 times a week at first, and then go from there. Now, that part freaked me out. I'm not sure about chiropractors in general, I hear so many good and bad things about it. So I was a bit leary, and he wanted me to start last night. I just think that it's a little too soon to assume it's exactly the problem, since all he really did was some general tests and the xray. And could that be the ONLY way to help it, if it even does help? The first chiro told me they'd treat the back first and if they see no results, then they would concentrate on the foot. But I dunno, that sounds a little too sketchy for me. Why not check the foot FIRST since that's where I have numbness...I don't have ANY lower back pain at all with this. I have some back pain on occassion if I walk a while, but I've alwyas had that for as long as I can remember. I've always attributed it to being overweight and out of shape.

So, I told them I wanted to get another opinion before I started treatments. They seemed OK with that, but I got a weird vibe from them like "OK fine, but we KNOW you'll be back!!" or something. I dunno.

So now, I am not sure where to go. I think I will make an appointment with my regular doctor, or maybe just try a nuerologist again, specifically. If they seem to think it's related to the back, and another xray shows the same thing, and THEY also mention this type of treatment, then I guess I'll go for it

I hope you get some good results with your issue...keep me posted as well!

Closed Thread