It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2005, 08:37 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User
EMG Nerve Conduction Study Motor Nerves

First for those of you who have not had an EMG/Nerve Conduction Study. I had mine yesterday at my Physiatrist. I expected it to be about an hour. It took 3. They continued to test nerves because my results were not normal.

The Nerve Conduction Study involves electrodes and shocks. The measure at specific places up and down the arm and leg. This was more painful than I expected, but tolerable. It's similar to being shocked real good - over and over.

The EMG involves our friends the "needle" - 26 guage to be exact. Similar process except no shock. Up and down the arm then leg for me. They tested me much more than a person who would have responeded within normal boundries. The insertion of the needle is more painful as they move towards the wrist or foot where more nerve endings are present.

Anyhow on to the questions for those who know and have had the proceedure.

1. My F Waves were Normal.
2. My Sensory Nerves were Normal
3. My Motor Nerves were outside of the expected paramaters.

For example:

Left Median Nerve: Latency (ms) 5.3 Normal <4.2
Right Median Nerve: Latency (ms) 5.0 Normal <4.2

Left Peroneal Nerve: Latency (ms) 8.0 Normal <6.2

As far as I can tell most of this was in my arms but there were also some problems in my legs.

FYI: I have a degenerated disc with bilateral foraminal norrowing at C6/7, Herniated Disc (Anterior and Posterior) at C5/6 with stenosis (Osteophytes) on both sides, and a Posterior Herniation at C4/5 pressing slightly into the right Foramin causing narrowing.

I have more consults with 2 NeuroSurgeons in the next two weeks. I have been told I need to get in to see a Neurologist but I can not do that for 5 weeks as no one will see me.

Please advise - even speculate as to what may be causing a slowed motor nerve response but not a sensory nerve response. My Doctor had no idea. I think it may be due to some inflammation. He says I do not have a pinched nerve in my neck but I feel constand pressure and dull achey pain in my neck which is starting to creep just a bit across my shoulers and tops of my arms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

chigs489 HB User
Re: EMG Nerve Conduction Study Motor Nerves

5.0 and 5.3 are not significant deviations from the norm. Are they abnormal? Sure. But there are people with serious neurological diseases who test 10-12, etc.

I'm willing to bet the herniated disk is the culprit here.

After an adverse drug reaction to Avelox, I had slowness in my sensory nerves, but not my motor. The exact opposite. So it can happen.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User

Hello everyone. Does it matter is you have an EMG while taking muscle relaxers and pain meds? Just wondering.
Terri

Old 10-21-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User

terri,
they do advise not to take any muscle relaxers and pain meds 24 hours prior to test.
I just completed a 3rd emg.

Toni

Old 10-21-2005, 04:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Terri43 HB User

Hello Toni, When I had my EMG done I was taking Percocet, Bextra,Skelaxin,Xanax and Wellbutrin. I didn't think they would want me on all those meds but the doctor never told me not to take them.
Terri

Old 10-22-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
(female)

CittyCat HB User

I have had 3 EMG's and never told to discontinue any pain or nerve med's by my Neuro.
Cathy

Old 03-13-2007, 02:43 AM   #7
(male)

zac111 HB User

mine were slow anyone have any ideal what would cause them to slow down slightly

Old 03-14-2007, 09:32 AM   #8
(female)

pandel0 HB User

why aren't you suppose to take meds.
thanks

Old 03-15-2007, 07:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

it is perfectly okay to take your normal pain meds and muscle relaxers during these tests since they do not actually affect what the tests actually test for.i was told this by the neurologist who did my very first EMG way back when all i had was my herniated disc and also the physiatrist who did another one post spinal cord injury.it will not actually affect the results.

just an FYI,but you have seperate motor and sensory nerves they are not one nerve so it is very possible to have an abnormal read with one but not the other.you also have motor and sensory nerve fibers within the cord too.these types of tests will only pick up on actual real damage or compression not pain from a bone spur or intermittant compression unless the nerve happens to be compressed during the actual test.this just shows real affectation that is a constant.so you can be suffering some pretty incredible heights of pain and signs of nerve compression and still manage to actually have a perfectly normal test.strange and frustrating for the patient,but true.Marcia

Closed Thread