It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2005, 08:02 AM   #1
(female)

Shadowrider HB User
Severe itching relief?

Hi, I am currently on Neurontin for paraesthesia and Cymbalta for Post traumatic stress disorder after suffering a fall from a horse resulting in broken neck, mild spinal cord injury and severe head injury. That was a year and a half ago...

For the last 7 mos, I've had itching on my right arm. It started out slowly, and would jump around in spots, from my wrist to my shoulder. I ice it sometimes, and I now am taking a lot of Benadryl because it stops the itch. The docs say the itch is injury related (paresthesia) and that itch comes from the same place as pain in the brain. It is getting worse and worse. It used to be just at night but now I wake up with it. I have been on Neurontin only a month and am only at 600 mg. a day. So, the itch is not a result of either meds since I started them after the itching started.

Any advice or solutions to this horrible pain and itching (if I don't scratch it or take Benadryl, it has stabs of burning pain in it).?

I appreciate it!! Thanks!

Shad

Old 11-07-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

duttin HB Userduttin HB User
Re: Severe itching relief?

Shad,

I get a itch from MS and it drives me crazy .It always seems to start when I'm in public.I try not to itch but its annoying.My family physician told me to use a product called TING.you can buy it at walmart.it is in the atheletes foot section.It sounds crazy but it does work even though I have no rash.I get it in my left arm and torso.It comes out ice cold and does provide a much needed releif.

Toni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
(female)

Shadowrider HB User

Great, Toni, I'll write that down and look for it at Walmart. So far, nothing topical has helped at all, but I'm willing to give it a try. Maybe that cold part is what makes it work. THANKS for the answer!!!

Shad

Old 11-08-2005, 06:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I too suffer from neuropathic itching,and god this really does suck.Can you ever actually find the actual spot to scratch that actually satisfies the itch???i have this right between and at the top of my shoulder blades.The really bst thing I have used when this flares up is those lidocaine patches?This is the one and only thing that helps me at all.If you just have a smaller area you can actually cut these down and make several out of one patch and save some bucks,There is also a lido gel that comes in a tube that i can use but in my case,the area is really hard to get too.It is however much cheaper than the patches.These do require an Rx from your doc,but they do work quite well to stop that flippin itch.Good luck,Marcia

Old 11-08-2005, 07:28 AM   #5
(female)

Shadowrider HB User

Marcia, boy do I feel for you with this crazy itch on your back where you can't reach it! You must be like a bear scratching up against a tree sometimes? Or do you do like I do and take a spaghetti ladle and scratch with that? Boy, that's rough.

Mine is just on my arm, wrist to shoulder....the thing I hate the worst is the stabbing pain that comes thru finally if I don't scratch. Sometimes it just itches and I scratch a little bit and that's okay. But at night, mostly, is when it starts the stabbing which is impossible to ignore. I have tried several topical treatments (nothing RX) and nothing has touched it, in fact, it has irritated it worse in some cases. So, I'll give these two ideas a try...going to the drugstore today to get that TING....and will talk to my doc about the lidocaine. Since that helps for pain, then my doc must be right about pain and itch coming from the same brain centers.

Well, as always, it's bittersweet to know others suffer with the same thing. Glad to know one is not alone or weird, but sad to know others suffer. Misery loves company is true! Thanks you two! Have a great day!!

Closed Thread