It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

gramahope HB User
Can peripheral neuropathy be a sympton of Parkinson's Disease?

I have Parkinson's Disease which I was diagnozed in Jan. of 2000. My symptons started in 1994 with a progressive right sided weakness. After 3 MRI'S, Cat Scan, x-rays, and other tests by the Neurologist they said I had Peripheral Neuropathy. What I didn't realize at the time was that PN is only a sympton not a diagnosis. The doctors thought I had MS. Can PN also a be sympton of Parkinson's?

Old 11-11-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
(female)

debbied30 HB User
Re: Can peripheral neuropathy be a sympton of Parkinson's Disease?

Have you been checked with the MRI for either Arnold Chiari 1 malformation or Syringomyelia?
My daughter was experiencing numbness in right side of body , we thought it was a pinched nerve, she was sent for MRI and they discovered she had Arnold Chiari , basically the base of her skull is too small didnt form right at birth ( you cant see it from looking at her) and it causes part of the cerebellum to herniate down into the spinal canal, in her case this caused her syrinx ( Syringomyelia ) , which is a fluid filled cyst like thing in the center of spinal canal , hers goes from C2 to bottom of spine,
This causes her neuropathy ,
On a side note Arnold Chiari , is misdiagnosed often as MS and a few other things.
Hope this helps some

Deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Can peripheral neuropathy be a sympton of Parkinson's Disease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramahope
I have Parkinson's Disease which I was diagnozed in Jan. of 2000. My symptons started in 1994 with a progressive right sided weakness. After 3 MRI'S, Cat Scan, x-rays, and other tests by the Neurologist they said I had Peripheral Neuropathy. What I didn't realize at the time was that PN is only a sympton not a diagnosis. The doctors thought I had MS. Can PN also a be sympton of Parkinson's?
I wouldn't think so do to Parkinson's is due to Dopamine loss in the Brain, so faulty neurotransmissions of electrical impulses and Neuropathy is an inflammation of nervous system outside of the Brain usually the Peripheral nerves. harry!

Closed Thread