It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 08:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

jayboy557 HB User
ulnar nerve compression/neck pain

will an emg show whether the nerve is pinched at the neck/elbow/wrist. my pinky is curling down and i have neck, shoulder, and arm pain also. anyone have neck problems from the ulnar nerve. jason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
(female)

zephyrqueen HB User
Re: ulnar nerve compression/neck pain

Jayboy, I'm new here but I'll do my best with this one. I had an EMG done on my neck last year as well as an MRI due to severe pain. The MRI didn't not show a pinched nerve. Just multi level degenerative disk disease and buldging disks at C3,4,5 and 6. As well as Spondylosis. However the EMG results were conclusive for nerve degeneration at the C6/7 with axonal neuropathy. As well as left ulnar neuropathy. My nerve is pinched off there at my elbow. An EMG is an excellent source for picking up any type of neuropathy or any type of nerve damage. If you have DDD or spondylosis this can flare and aggitate surounding nerves and facet joints. Even though an MRI is inconclusive for nerve root displacement an EMG will pick up any type of nerve damage or neuropathy. Hope this helps you and good luck. Let me know how it goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I think in your case an emg would indeed pick up the damage.you DO definitely have some sort of compression going on along that nerve somewhere just due to the fact that your pinky is curling.this will let you know for sure whats up.hopefully with some surgical intervention,you may be able to regain innervation to the muscles that are being currently cut off from the nerve supply.good luck and let us know how things go.Marcia

Old 12-24-2005, 09:51 PM   #4
(female)

cblasingame HB User

Jay EMG will definatelty show a compression at any spot of the ulnar nerve. The pain, however, from any compression, (no matter where it is) will generate the pain throughout your arm and shoulder. How would I know you ask? Well...in Dec 04 I had unlar nerve decompression at the elblow, worst thing I ever done. The surgery wasnt successfull and I got RSD as a result. Was it worth it? NO WAY!! I now suffer EXCURCUIATING pain 24/7 will never work again and have lost almost the entire use of my arm as a result. So...no matter what your EMG's say..please, for your own safety, talk to your doc at length about ALL the risks (they dont like to tell you about RSD) and everthing else ( the success rate of the surgery is VERY low) before you do anything drastic. Just putting my 2 cents in for what its worth...hope this help....C

Old 12-26-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

A BIG ditto on what the above poster just stated.also get at the very least,one other opinion before contemplating any sort of surgery espescially when it involves the nerves.you will be so glad that you took the time to really research all possible complications before doing anything permanent.trust me on that one.I wish I had held off on my herniated disc surgery many years ago but like alot of people,i just wanted to have surgery get rid of the pain and get on with my life and did not take the time at that point to really look into other options and believe me,i did suffer for it.just please take all the time and ask all the questions before consenting to anything.Marcia

Old 01-02-2006, 01:22 AM   #6
(female)

Tight Socks HB User

Hi Jayboy. Back in the early 70's I had the same type of pain, esp when I raised my right arm. A doctor finally found that I had a different blood pressure for each arm. Turns out that I had been born with something called scalenus anticus syndrome. Seems that whenever I raised my arm it caused the shoulder muscle to pinch my blood vessels and nerve against my collar bone, causing me all of the pain in my right arm. The blood was pooling at that site on the collar bone. I guess it is also called thorasic outlet syndrome. Well, anyway, I had surgery right away and it was not painful or a big deal and I had immediate relief. An internist did the surgery and was so excited to do my case since it is quite rare. He just cut away the muscle so it didn't interfere. Look into it and good luck!

Closed Thread