It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2005, 10:43 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User
Dr. nicked a nerve. Any chance for recovery?

yesterday, I saw the surgeon who did my second carpal tunnel release Dec. 19. He said the surgeon who did the original CTR on my left hand in Feb, nicked the nerve in the wrist, below the incision . No wonder i had the pain, hypersensitivity, and stiffness I did.
Surgeon said he did the best he could as far as getting most of the " lots of scar tissue" and entrapment in the area...said their was nerve damage. He said he doesn't think it will ever be 100% and that it may take up to a year for me to even see if there is improvement. I am really depressed. I was on Neurontin, but had intolerable side effect, so was switched to amytriptyline and put on Lexapro as well. I have struggled through my farm work ( my job) of milking 70-80goats and shipping milk to a cheese plant. No WC for me and I don't have disability ins. I cannot do another year like this past year, but have no idea what my options are. I cannot touch paper without a surgical glove on as well as touching some other things. I cannot type very well....the two affected fingers are very slow, so hunt and peck is faster than typing "normally" and then correcting spelling. I am 51 and right hand dominant.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:45 PM   #2
(male)

Barrygood HB User
Thumbs up Re: Dr. nicked a nerve. Any chance for recovery?

Taimse,,,,,,The first surgeon who did the CTR on your wrist, did a lousy job. If you were a surgeon or professional pianist you would no longer be able to work. You must advocate for yourself and not let the first surgeon "off the hook". Nicking an adjacent nerve while doing surgery is like someone saying that they are , "a little pregnant". The Damage has been done. You have (2) ways to go: One, see a lawyer and the other is Physical Therapy for the affected Hand/Wrist. Do both.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2005, 06:03 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Taimse HB User
Re: Dr. nicked a nerve. Any chance for recovery?

Barrygood. I signed a informed consent form saying I was aware of complications....and nerve damage could be one of them. Can a lawyer still help? I did physical therapy from March to May in 05. For awhile they thought I had RSD. Had a few followup visits in June and July. I did make some progress, but it reached a plateau and never got any better, despite time.
The last visit in Aug with first surgeon...he said to me that you get by. I told him I really didn't "get by" and the waterworks came on. I told him I had left things undone, putting them off until I was better. I kept getting assured, it would improve more. He offered to refer to to a hand doctor at Mayo . My local medical center is a part of Mayo. hand doctor told him that they wouldn't see me until 1 yr to 18 mo post op. I went anyway on my own. Dr. there that did orthopedic hand consult second opinion, told me I didn't have RSD( despite abnormal autonimic tests) and that abnormal EMG was showing old nerve damage from before Feb surgery....that the pain was in my head and to go home and learn to live with it.

A friend of mine who had ct release surgeries, by same surgeon in Dec on rt and Jan on left in 05 has problems with her left hand too. Thumb and a finger 'catch"
She talked with her attorney uncle and he told her that it was complication , but really nothing she could do legal wise.

Last edited by Taimse; 12-31-2005 at 06:18 PM. Reason: add info

Old 12-31-2005, 09:00 PM   #4
(male)

Barrygood HB User
Thumbs up Re: Dr. nicked a nerve. Any chance for recovery?

Hello Taimsee......The remarks that were given to you by two Hand Surgeons, "You'll get by", and "Learn to live with it"; shows complete insensitivity to your pain both physical and emotional. Again my advice would be for you to still seek Legal Advice. Attorneys experienced in Malpractice (thats what you should be looking for) have more experience in these matters. Signing an "Informed Consent" does not excuse mistakes or insensitivity.

Last edited by Barrygood; 12-31-2005 at 10:07 PM.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #5
(female)

mm78 HB User

I have no feeling or strength in my leg and have not since my microdiscectomy six months ago. My surgeon said there was a possibility one of the nerves might have been severed during surgery and "we'll never know." I can't walk more than fifteen minutes, can't run, can't work. I have been considering a malpractice suit as well but because nerve damage can take so long to heal I am sure I won't be able to move forward until it's been a year or 18 months.

In six months there has been absolutely no sign of recovery.

Old 01-17-2006, 06:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I would seek out a good pain management doc just to see if there are any better pain control options for you.I have many many complications and nerve pain syndromes and also RSD all from damage done to the inside of my spinal cord.the thing is,anytime you cut into the skin,no matter how minor or major the type of surgery is,you will risk getting nerve damage.it is just there.some of my damage was very much expected but some was definitely not.i have contemplated a malpractice lawsuit but quite frankly,i just do not have the emotional energy right now.you really do need to find out exactly what IS damaged by having a nerve conduction study done(an EMG) this will tell just what actual nerves are damaged and in some cases,just how extensive.it just tests the amount of actual energy that passes thru the nerve.by doing this it will determine,hopefully,just what damage would normally be expected given the type of surgery you had done,and if there is damage in areas where there really should not be.but the big thing for you right now,is to try and find a good pain management doc,really,this made a world of difference for me and helped me to actually,finally,get at least some control over five seperate pain generators.the PM doc can also either do the nerve study himself,or send you out for one,but you DO need to have that done.it will tell you alot about just what nerves may or may not be damaged.good luck,and please let me know how things go,K?Marcia

Closed Thread