It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2006, 10:22 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Pebble Beach HB User
Emg/ncs

Hi all. I need some advice. First my health problems briefly. I have been thru 6 spine surgeries, including instrumentation in the neck and the lumbar area. My last surgery was implanting the spinal cord stimulator. I currently have stenosis in the neck and lumbar area and the doctors were afraid to do any further surgeries on me.

In addition, I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I also have had surgery on the leg-left for blood clots which had to be removed.

I now have peripheral neuropathy in the legs. The left leg is the worst. It is numb from the Knee down and I get pins and needles in the leg that is why the stimulator was done and has helped somewhat. There is some atrophy of the left foot area.

In addition the recent emg show sensomotor neuropathy of the arms. I have stenosis in the neck so I have neck pain and shoulder pain. The left being the worst. At times I feel like my shoulders get real tired quickly from simple things like holding a phone or even typing this I get tired easily.

I have tried medications in the past - unsucessfully. I have been on pain medications such as Neurontin (had trouble with this med), oxycodone, amitriptyline, cymbalta, ultram and the list goes on. No relief what so ever.

I am worried about further damage being done. How to prevent further problems with the neuropathy. I am seeing a pain management guy in February.

Once there is neuropathy is it permanent? Does it progress? How is it controled. What can be done?

Thanks for the input all.

Allan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2006, 04:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User
Re: Emg/ncs

Hey Allen.. you have to control your type 2 Diabetes to restore Neuropathy. High Blood sugars and / or Insulin levels are devastating to your Peripheral Nerves..There are Supplemets to help but until you restore type 2 which can be reversed nothing will help..

Old 01-23-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Pebble Beach HB User

Thanks for the response. When diagnosed my blood sugar was almost 1600 I was almost in a coma. Now 2 years later, my blood sugar is averaged about 100-110 for a thirty day period. There is a test for your average aC1 I think its called and is running around 5-7, I cant remember the exact number but it was pretty good. So Im not sure ita all connected to the diabetes. I'll see my endocrinilogist next week and discuss.

Allan

Old 01-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

6foot3 HB User

Wow 1600 is incredible.Did they say how they got that high.Sounds like Beta Cell burnout from the Pancreas. Anyway GREAT improvement on your numbers but get your fasting below 90. Your A1C between 5-7 is too fluctuating , try to get down to 4.5-5.0 . Although these numbers change slowly for 90 days as your Red Blood Cells are replaced with new ones that have no sugar attached ..

Closed Thread