It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Neuropathy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2006, 09:31 PM   #1
(female)

Faeriedust HB User
Optic Neuropathy

Hello, I'm 26 & have been diagnosed with bilateral optic neruopathy (as well as bilateral neuropathy in my feet). I'm writing to receive & hear feedback from other people who suffer from optic neuropathy. I would like to know how you deal with life situations where optic neuropathy comes in between?

For example I would love to be able to drive. However because I can not quite see signs and some cars & people, driving isn't even a possibility. It just plain 'ole stinks. I'm 26 & I'm having to depend on my mom, sister, and aunt to take me places.

I've seen a Neuro-opthamologist who said my sight might improve but then again it might not. He said if the sick nerves get well, then my sight would get better, but if those nerves die then they won't.

I have SO much in my life for which to be grateful. I despise & ask nobody to pity me. I feel it's only normal to feel upset at the disease. It sure throws some extra hurdles into my life. However I'm determined to overcome them!

The biggest issue I'm dealing with & trying to figure out is school. I live in the USA & due to certain personal life situations, I was unable to graduate from Highschool. Therefor here in the USA I would LOVE to get my GED (it's an equivalent to a highschool degree), so that I may go ahead & advance on to college. However because of the optical neuropathy I can't see the text in books!

Anybody ever dealt with having to figure out what to do regarding being able to see text in books? A normal high powered magnifying glass does not help at all. I need something much stronger.

I wouldn't even be able to read this board except for the awesome tool choice of Firefox allowing you to enlarge webpage font & Windows Accessibility tools!

So ... if you have optic neuropathy, I would truly, truly appreciate you replying to my post. I've met other people with neuropathy but have never met anybody else with optic neuropathy.

Last edited by Faeriedust; 05-23-2006 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling! lol!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 01:15 AM   #2
(female)

linda.wyn HB User
Re: Optic Neuropathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeriedust View Post
Hello, I'm 26 & have been diagnosed with bilateral optic neruopathy (as well as bilateral neuropathy in my feet). I'm writing to receive & hear feedback from other people who suffer from optic neuropathy. I would like to know how you deal with life situations where optic neuropathy comes in between?

For example I would love to be able to drive. However because I can not quite see signs and some cars & people, driving isn't even a possibility. It just plain 'ole stinks. I'm 26 & I'm having to depend on my mom, sister, and aunt to take me places.

I've seen a Neuro-opthamologist who said my sight might improve but then again it might not. He said if the sick nerves get well, then my sight would get better, but if those nerves die then they won't.

I have SO much in my life for which to be grateful. I despise & ask nobody to pity me. I feel it's only normal to feel upset at the disease. It sure throws some extra hurdles into my life. However I'm determined to overcome them!

The biggest issue I'm dealing with & trying to figure out is school. I live in the USA & due to certain personal life situations, I was unable to graduate from Highschool. Therefor here in the USA I would LOVE to get my GED (it's an equivalent to a highschool degree), so that I may go ahead & advance on to college. However because of the optical neuropathy I can't see the text in books!

Anybody ever dealt with having to figure out what to do regarding being able to see text in books? A normal high powered magnifying glass does not help at all. I need something much stronger.

I wouldn't even be able to read this board except for the awesome tool choice of Firefox allowing you to enlarge webpage font & Windows Accessibility tools!

So ... if you have optic neuropathy, I would truly, truly appreciate you replying to my post. I've met other people with neuropathy but have never met anybody else with optic neuropathy.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:19 AM   #3
(female)

linda.wyn HB User
Re: Optic Neuropathy I also suffer from mid vision loss caused by optic neuropathy a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faeriedust View Post

Old 06-21-2007, 01:24 AM   #4
(female)

linda.wyn HB User
Re: Optic Neuropathy

Sorry - having problems with the reply. I also suffer from similar problems caused by B12 deficiency. I have foudn that there are lots of things that can help you to read if you get to see the right people who deal with low vision problems. Apart from not being able to read the worsething is not recognising people. What caused your problem?

Closed Thread